1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

flirt pole pattern

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by davidfitness83, Apr 22, 2014.

1. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Can anyone share videos of how you use the flirt pole and the pattern of movement?

2. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Df-83...think the idea off useing a flirt-pole...is that you +the dog will get enjoyment out off it while the dog is getting exercise..their's no particular way to use it/????...,like ya can tie a rag round a piece of stick an let your dog chase it +he will enjoy jus as much....there is i'm sure lot's off vid's on you tube off dogs chaseing flirt pole......will say the figure 8 with a rag on stick is one way//???????....mmm/...g-luck

3. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

4. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

5. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

nice video bush. one thing i would suggest if u dont have a chained animal is that you wear a glove. had one too many close calls and even got bit a couple times once they really get going. mmost importantly get a long enough stick and plenty of room to work with.

6. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I like to encourage sprinting to build wind and power. I am just worried that I'm cutting the angles to.narrow.and I don't want the dog to tear a knee or something like that.

She's a year and two months old, just letting her a puppy but she loves to chase and bite things.

7. old goat

old goat CH Dog

don't let the dog bite it and shake it and you hold on because your shoulders want be feeling to good and you can have a lot of problems . just let her chase it .

8. c_note

c_note CH Dog

So OG, your method you just use the flirt as bait, no tug? I let mine chase and after a certain number of times all fours leave the ground, I let em get it. We then tug til they rebite or let go then back to chase. You break the excersizes up? You don't want the dog to shake so he doesn't hurt HIS shoulder or MINE?

9. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

He's talking about your shoulder

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

10. XLR8

XLR8 Big Dog

I never seen a milk jug used like this, nice! Anyway I just try to simulate a running prey animal with my movement, then try to make the dog change direction fast, twist and turn etc and throw in a few jumps, before letting the dog catch if it hasn't already. Sufficient space is needed to do this training safely, for your sake and the dogs.

11. old goat

old goat CH Dog

your shoulders and they will get hurt sooner or later . me i don't like to use it the dog can get hurt to turning to fast or jumping for it .

12. MMSmith

MMSmith Pup

I use a lunge whip and have found it to be the most flexible and maneuverable option I've tried. I use a really tough, homemade rope toy on it and so far it has withstood a lot of tugging and rough play. I also have a good 'out' command and that helps when he gets wild.

I'm also crazy and run a ton myself during an intense flirt pole session, so he gets distance, jumping, and tight handling all in one go.

13. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Where did you get the whip? I heard horse whips are useful too. I run with the dog too I try to keep the angles wide so the dog won't twist too quick. She picks up a lot of speed very quickly. But the.ends up snapping everything, I want to find something sturdier and easy to manuver. I have a very large yard so space is not a problem.

14. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

TSC (Tractor Supply Company) has horse whips, that's where I got the one I use for one of the flirts I have.

15. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I have to check those out, are they expensive?

16. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

No..I use pvc pipe drill a small hole through the end slip and tie some small rope through there and punch a small hole through some cow hide n tie a good knot. On the other side.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

17. c_note

c_note CH Dog

This is what I use. The one I use is bout 3.5-4 ft. What about you Peon? Haven't had any injuries yet, but OG scared the ol boy! We only flirt bout twice a week for a couple minutes, then we do the rest of our thing. I watch the flock tho. Hell I tore my Achilles a couple years ago playin pick up basketball.... Talk about a freak injury... I respected Kobe til he tore his then walked back to shoot the free throw! That shit hurts like a bitch!!! I drove home with my left foot lol

18. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

About 8 ft

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

19. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Thanks. I will give a longer flirt a try

20. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I ordered a horse whip from amazon let's see how it goes.