1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

fox tail

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by gunman2376, Mar 13, 2012.

1. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

hi

found a dead fox a few days ago, got some hide and the tail, what to do so the tail wont rotten?

thanks in advanced

2. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

This all depends on a few things.

- How long was the fox dead for?
    - Were there any bugs on it?
    - How did you get the hide off? Are there any green spots anywhere on the skin?

If the fox has been dead for too long, the fur will slip and will be useless. Fur "slip" means the fur just comes right out when you lightly pull or rub on it. Bugs or green skin means the body has begun to decompose and you're pretty much SOL.

If you aren't planning on tanning the hide or tail, you can flesh and salt them.. though they will be stiff as a board.
    To flesh them, grab a pocket knife and scrape off the membrane on the fleshy side of the fur, like this:
    [video=youtube;pLMMTazKQ9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLMMTazKQ9c[/video]
    Basically, any meaty bits need to come off or it will ROT.

Once this is done, take NON-IODIZED SALT (very important. Non-iodized salt is also called pickling/canning salt) and put lots on the fleshy side. You can never use too much salt.
    Next, fold the hide and tail flesh-to-flesh and put it on a board on an incline, so any moisture can drip out. Keep re-applying the salt until the hide and tail are 100% dry.

If you want to TAN them, you're gonna have to buy tanning chemicals.

3. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

thanks for the tips bluedog

indeed there was green parts and slip fur mainly in the back end of the fox, got part that wasen't looking like that

4. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

No problem :)
    Just cut off any green parts and any parts that are slipping. If you can't get salt soon, fold it up, stick it in a garbage bag and put it in the freezer until ready

5. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Good Info Blue dog ...

6. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Thanks :) I do this stuff at home. I'm excited to clean out my "dead-things freezer" when it gets warmer.

7. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

any tips to how make my wife accept the dead things in the freezer? lol
    just kidding ;)

thanks for the tips

8. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

I just bought (well, was gonna pay for it but the seller gave me it for free) a big chest freezer & stuck it in the garage