1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Freeze dried dog food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Dogman_M, May 18, 2013.

1. Dogman_M

Dogman_M Pup

Anyone got any experience with this?

2. canine12

canine12 Pup

it's cheaper to feed raw and supplement with road kill. just dust the meat with diatomaceous earth. 10-20 bucks at tractor supply. de takes care of any internal parasites. your dogs will get real blood, fur, and bones all in one package. the freeze dried companies make a killing off those meatballs. watch the road on the way to and from work. carry trash bags....if you see something new you should take it. nothing is healthier than a wild animal for your dog.

3. Freeze dried is super expensive. I fed it to my dog last weekend and it was $25 for 4 meals. Fuck that.

4. Dogman_M

Dogman_M Pup

Im not living near some where it would be possible to get even a weeks feed by collecting roadkills.

5. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

A fresher, healthier alternative to kibble | Petsana
    The price is comparable to high quality kibble, make sure you rehydrate the food properly or you can make your dog really sick.
    You can also low cook your meats/dehydrate and get the same shelf life.
    Have you considered raw?

6. Dogman_M

Dogman_M Pup

Back2Basics
    I've always fed Orijen but want to try out raw meat, sad thing is i havent got space for it at my current living conditions. So i thought the next best thing to raw would be freeze dried raw?

I've been lookin at K9 Natural: K9 Natural UK :: Nutrition

7. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

I'm not familiar with that brand being in the states, as long as its formulated right and isn't too tough on the wallet, try it out. The only thing I seen funny with freeze dried when i tried it was the feed calculations, to maintain weight I needed more than what was recommended, although it could have been the activity level. Everything else was fine, small stool good level of energy, and a nice coat. Just make sure to add water and let those suckers swell up. Currently I use the poor mans method at home (dehydrate) that's mainly for treats and homemade jerky though.