1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Functional trade-offs in the limb bones of dogs selected for running versus fighting

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bluedoglover, Jan 14, 2016.

1. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

mind you this study was not done with performance bred dogs. imo the top racing greyhounds should have been used as well as the top game dog,but laws have made that impossible. however studies have been done in the 1800s on irish fighting dogs.

supposedly chinaman as tested at stanford university but i have seen no evidence proving such...

2. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Bump. Bumping because this article concludes that Pit bulls have unusually high tolerance to damage from running (although they cannot run nearly as fast/far as dogs bred for running, like Greyhounds.

This interests me because I am starting my pup on short runs (200 yards) on the concrete. Conventional wisdom is that you should not do much running on concrete until 8 months...but Pit Bull bones are much more robust and resistant to damage than other breeds.