1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gang of Racoons?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by raman781, Feb 11, 2012.

1. raman781

raman781 Pup

Has any one ever came across a gang of racoons?
    I was reading another forum and this guys dog was attacked.
    Here is the story.
    See below.

2 nights ago I let my Jack Russell terrier ' Alfie' out into the yard to pee before bed and within 30 seconds all hell broke loose

He was 10ft from a large male coon who wouldn't back down ...

The coon was growling - the dog was growling .... high noon showdown ....

Then to my surprise the coon attacked the dog ..... usually the dog will bark and chase off the coon ....

Then within a split second 3 ... yes THREE other raccoons appeared out of the dark and joined in the attack ....

So there I was in my PJ's and slippers watching 4 large coons all trying to kill my little dog -

Airguns were all in the safe .....so that wasn't an option

So what was I to do .... ?

I decided to charge in there and start kicking them off ... one by one ....

sadly that tactic didn't work .... I just got scratched .....

Dog was screaming and yelping his head off ... coons were growling, biting etc ... I couldn't even see the dog for the mass of grey and black fur ...

Luckily I remembered I had a shovel close by so I grabbed it and went back in swinging.

Suffice to say I killed 2 large raccoons with the shovel and knocked a third somewhere into next week ...

I have never in my life experienced anything like it ... and likely never will again.

The 4th finally let go and ran off - leaving my poor little terrier pretty torn up and terrified ....

Spent most of the day at the Vet getting him patched up .... he's was up-to date on his rabies vaccine but needed stitches on 8 bite wounds, + antibiotics and pain meds. He's alive thankfully but limping around and feeling pretty sorry for himself.

The ruckus woke the neighborhood but no police were involved - although animal control came and took the 2 dead ones away this morning for a rabies autopsy and told me to quarantine the dog for at least 10 days.

I've never considered myself capable of such a violent coon massacre with a shovel of all things - it was seriously like a bad horror movie !
    I guess you do what you have to do when push comes to shove ...

Not sure if I would have chosen an airgun to deal with the coons in a dog fight situation ... but from now on when I hike or camp with the dog
    I am certainly going to take more precautions and the coons that visit my yard will be dealt with swiftly and permanently.

2. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

"Violent coon massacre..." now that part is pretty funny. Maybe he should get himself a bulldog- problem solved.

3. blackcloud

blackcloud Big Dog

I reckon that would solve the problem!

4. raman781

raman781 Pup

Yeah, the dog only stared the coon down, big mistake. They knew they could take him since he didn't rush them.

5. FATCITY

FATCITY Big Dog

URBAN COONS ARE THE MEANEST S.O.B.'S AROUND!!! I have seen them get to 50lbs or more eatting all the dog and cat food they can handle and all the trashcans they get BIG!! AND THEY DO RUN IN PACKS THAT LITTLE JRT DID'NT STAND A CHANCE !! thats why a good bull dog and a shovle is great for back up :-)

6. raman781

raman781 Pup

7. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

I seen about 15 coons the other day in the middle of the road when I was driving don't know if it was a gang or an oraG lmao.

8. FATCITY

FATCITY Big Dog

lol !!!!........

9. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Those bastards can be NASTY. I knew someone who had one as a pet one time. She got it as a baby from somewhere bottle fed it, and hand raised it. She had a party one time, so she put the raccoon in a metal crate. Turned out that the raccoon hated little kids for some reason. Every time a little kid would walk by its crate, it would reach out and grab a kid with its human like hands and snarl. It was funny to see, but it probably traumatized the little kids lol.
    I also have a distant cousin that used to hunt them with dogs. He has told stories of how raccoons would sometimes run for water when a dog would be on its trail. Once in the river, the damn raccoon would circle around and try to get on the dogs back to drown the dog. So, they are also pretty smart. The Jack Russell never had a chance. The owner wasnt the brightest IMO either going out there to try and kick the raccoons off. If he would have been bitten, then there would be rabies treatment for him.

10. That'ssome scary stuff! I could see my little Rat Terrier trying to take on a raccoon and getting the hell beat out of her because she doesn't know when to back down. Luckly, I have a large 83ilbs mutt that will come to her defense if need be. Thankfully, we only see one raccoon at a time where we live, and that bastard is HUGE!! I thought it was a dog......because I whistled at it. Lol!! Nope, just a very large coon walking down the road to get back into the drainage vent on the neighborhood street. Lol!!

11. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Raman, whats the name of the other forum? I have questions for that guy.

12. raman781

raman781 Pup

LOL!!
    The racoon in the crate trying to grab little kids, use that at the haunted house!

Check out this vid, Racoon gets on the dogs back in the water, just like your cousin said.
    [video=youtube;6Inm9NRjcUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Inm9NRjcUc[/video]

13. wow that dog in the video... pansy!!!!!

14. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Raman, Again, I ask for the name of the other forum you read this on. Skipping over my question you like you have only increases my doubts..... Im smelling BS.

15. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

16. raman781

raman781 Pup

rathernotsay,
    I must have missed your original question. I read it on the airgun yellow forum that StosMan posted the google link to. I won't BS anyone, I belive in integrity but, you never know who people are online.

17. raman781

raman781 Pup

18. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Thanks for posting it! I think a Raccoon somehow has an advantage in the water. Smart bastards...

19. FATCITY

FATCITY Big Dog

raccoons and water will almost always end up with a dead dog if you are not there to help the coon will win

20. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

How long should it take for a bulldog to kill a raccoon ?