1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of heartworms

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Crash97, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

This post is to help out my neighbor whose dog has a bad case of heartworms. The vet. said other than very costly treatment there is nothing that can be done. I seem to remember seeing a wormer that would do heartworms. If any one has any info. it would definately be appreciated and passed along to him. Thanks

2. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Was just told that Zemectrin is a good one. Ivermec.

3. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

If memory serves me correct my vet had showed me documentation that said Heartworms could not be cured, BUT could be treated and kept undercontrol. Alot of heartworm treatments can knock a big dent into the amount of heartworms. Hope , what little it is, HELPS>

4. AC

AC Big Dog

Do not! I repeat do not! give a dog with heartworms ivermectin it can kill the dog. You see the heart swells when the heartworms are in it and if you give them the med it will kill the heartworm but they will die of heart failure. It needs to undergo a treatment which yes unfortunatly is very costly. It's a med that is given in the spine 24 hours apart twice. one on the left side and one on the right.

5. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Listen to what AC said, DO NOT give a dog with heartworms any product with Ivomec in it. Ivomec is a heartworm PREVENTIVE, not a cure...

BB

6. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I think the best thing to do would be to just get the dog to the vet ASAP. You have a life at stake here.

7. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

The owners of said dog have decided to just let him live out his life without treatment. To be truthful, the dog seems to be too energetic to be heavily infested, and have told them to have another vet take a look. But it's their dog.