1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Glucosomine and Chondroitin Orange Chews???

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by misterdogman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

So I been noticing Bambam having lived 8 game and hard years wasnt so playful and energetic lately with me or the kids and sometimes he was taking some extra time getting up or motivated in the mornings, kinda like me lol... Anyhow I went looking for some "joint lube" and found all the regular G&C joint meds for dogs but they all came in like several dog chew doses a day and or were a total rip off giving like 15 days for 6-7 dollars and 6 weeks is a minimun regimen with this G&C therapy...so Id have to spend like 20+ bucks for it and I would definitely forget doses knowing me....SO long story short I went in the human aisle and found this cheaper version for humans which all the human stuff was cheaper BTW than dogs stuff and comes in more medicine per dose of course considering weight. Well the cool thing is this product comes in a 1 dose a day chew for adult humans and is orange flavor chew about the size of a tootsie roll...so basically he being 54lbs in the house...he would need about a third of a chew a day or so ....maybe a 1/4....which the dosage aint my concern its the Chew part... so does anyone here think the candy style chew around the good G&C stuff would out weigh the benefit of what I am seeing, I mean he NEVER gets people food EVER...and in a couple weeks or so of using it he has shown more urge to play and run and jump so it must be making him feel decent,.... so I just been thinking about it lately when I give it to him and am curious if the results and way he feels is outweighed by the third of an orange chew.... ingredients of course being corn syrup and awful processed stuff etc not a lot of fat just liek any other candy? So what does everyone think because I am biased since I am seeing results now. BTW this 30 adult box of chews was like 5 bucks after tax. There for adults up to 200lbs so by just doing the math on weight thats up to 120 days worth for a 50 lb dog if you give 1/4 a day but I been giving a third a day. So what everyones Opinion? Mr.

2. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Ok my "pit" mix had ACL surgery. So she is on a maintence dose for the rest of her life. She gets 900mg of Glucosamine Chondroitinevery other day (she weighs about 50pds). At first she was getting one every day for the first month. Then it went to every other day. At first I got it at work. Then I started getting it at Walmart (human grade).

It does work. But All the sugar (that stuff is like candy) is not good for him. Try another form.

3. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

I woudl say if it really starts to bother her i would try cosequin or worst case deramxx.

4. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Those are NSAIDS. Which reduce swelling and pain. Glucosamine Chondroitin is a not the same. It helps lub the joints and help rebulid cartilage. Now if it does get to the point that your dog is in pain the 2 can be used in conjuction with each other. The only problem is that using a NSAID for a long period of time there can be side effects.

5. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Mister -

The black dog in my signiture is an 11 yr old MM/St Benedicts cross APBT. Last year he started to wince when he got up in the morning. Now he is a pet bull but he is my running partner. He loves a long run and has for years. I took him to the vet and they wanted to shoot him up with steroids and all kinds of other expensive crap. Texasbulldogs guided me to 3 salmon oil, 1 200 unit vita e and 1/4 tsp of Synflex in his feed. He is 45 lbs so that was the dosage he needed. Inside 2 months he is runnin around like a puppy!!!! he no longer does the 3 to 4 miles a day, but he gets a nice one mile pace in. He also chooses not to go out when it is severly cold anymore. He used to. He still has some pain but a remarkable improvement. Synflex is a human suppliment but they do give doses for dogs. It is relatively inexpensive. Worth a shot perhaps.

6. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

Yes like i said if it gets worst that would be one way to go i know what they are for Im in school to becomming a VET

7. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

LOL thats fine. Then as you know with taking NSAIDS you should get yearly bloodwork to check kidney and liver values. And if you can avoid long term use of NSAIDS I would. To OP I would try what Mydawgs posted first IMO.

Edit: I need to correct myself actually Cosequin is not an NSAID it is a supplement with Glucosamine, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbate, Manganese. Now you can get it but it is going to be more costly. And usually is only available through a Vet.

At the clinics I have worked in we have used Cosequin only with cats. But it is available for dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008