1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

going under the knife.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Doggystyle, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

My girl is having a hernia removed Monday. I heard dogs act different after going under the knife. Is this true, after she heals will her behavior change?

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

No her behavior will not change. It's a myth

3. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

What about mentally, when do dogs mentally mature and become more protective?

4. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

Good luck on the surgery. Mine had that done, never a change. Should be feeling better in no time.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Dogs mature at different rates. However, this breed should never "mentally change" & become protective. It's not what they were bred for.

6. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Huh? APBTs usually do not get protective so to speak.. they are quite the opposite.. yet many would not hesitate to "protect" their people if the need arised.. if you are referring to protective as in guard or attack dogs, the breed generally act in that manner and if that is what you are seeking in a dog, you are best to aquire another breed that is bred for that purpose. The true nature of the breed is to be friendly towards all..both known friends and strangers.

As for maturing.. Generally it is around 2 years of age allthough some dogs mature earlier and some mature later than that.. Some tend to become more "animal" aggressive at this age which has nothing to do with human aggressiveness.. No surguries will make a dog aggressive, protective, etc.. allthough spaying .neutering at a very early age may decrease hormones ( again, if done early enough) it certainly lowers many chances for certain cancers, unwanted pups, and improve health of a dog (generally fixed animals live longer lives..)

7. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

People start myths all the time and I question them!

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Best way to learn.

9. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I heard dogs act different after going under the knife.

That's right up there with the pitbulls aren't protective myth.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

She may become alittle apprehensive to see your vet, but, by and large, since the surgery does not, say, affect hormonal changes, I'm sure her behavior will remain status quo.