1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Good Protein sources

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Fuhrer, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

What are some good Protein sources for my dog, right now I am feeding him Ol' Roy. But I was wondering if there was something else out there that would help him out some more with his size??
    Foods, Vitamins or anything would do really.

2. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

if your looking to beef up your dog what my vet suggested was to mix fried potatoes or some kind of pasta with the normal dog food start slowly so their system can adjust to the change raw eggs are a great source of protien good for the coat too also you might consider a different kibble don't get me wrong i use ol roy myself but there are better foods out their keep hearing about canidae supposed to be fit for a human to eat good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  3. CRD

CRD Big Dog

raw eggs and beef really does the trick. I also use Purina Pro-plan and Hi-pro for maintenance

4. RHI

RHI Big Dog

I'm sorry but your dog food is'nt the greatest, you would be better off feeding a good quality dog food to start & if nothing else, as you would still notice a differance if adding differant protiens depending on what your feeding, your base food.....we feed Canidea, also add chicken, & ocassionally eggs, fish, turkey etc. example, if we fed a dog food thats not as good, then still add differant protiens, the final results will still not be as good as if your base food is good.....you would definetly notice a differance if you continue to feed what your feeding and add extra, your results just would'nt be as good as if your base food was better....also, vitamins , regular wormings, if feeding a good food, then might consider adding potatoes to add alittle weight........JMO

5. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

your best bet would be to get away from ol' roy . If you dont want to feed a premium food . As someone else said purina Hi- Pro isnt that bad and it's a far cry better than ol'roy. also I dont know how anyone esle feels but IMO Bil-Jac (frozen) is good for bulking up a dog

6. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“right now I am feeding him Ol' Roy”
    YIKES! I’d seriously recommend doing you and your dogs an enormous favor and researching “dog food” on the board! You’re feeding the bottom of the barrel, cheap poisoned dog food!

“my vet suggested was to mix fried potatoes or some kind of pasta”
    I wouldn’t be taking any more recommendations from your veterinary in regards to nutrition!

"raw eggs are a great source of protien good for the coat too”
    Raw eggs contain an enzyme call avidin, which decreases the absorption Biotin. This can lead to skin and hair coat problems not “help” them!

7. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

What would you suggest Texas?

8. I would give K-9 power a try its basically a protein shake for dogs made with chicken and meat.You just mix it in water after intense work out fetch,swimming whatever or sprinkle it on there food. Tyson loved it he went crazy when I would just pull the tub out and you get great results. www.k-9power.com

9. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“What would you suggest <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:State w:st=Texas</ST1:p</st1:State>"
    Like I stated in the previous post…use the search tool! Judging by your post, you bought the wrong breed if you wanted a big, bulky type of dog. If you don’t stop feeding Ole Roy, no supplement in the world is going to off set the damage it is/will do to your dog! There is more to feeding a dog, especially one that you want to get in shape than just throwing some food in a bowl. For instance if feeding the BARF diet you never would feed grains and meats together, vegetables can be feed with either and if feeding fruits, except apples you should feed alone or wait at least 20 minutes before/after feeding anything. First start with a better kibble, hand walking and go from there.

10. CRD

CRD Big Dog

If you use a good dog food, there is no need for you to use and supplements. Sometime too much Protein is not good for dog's health.

11. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

i think your taking the dog food thing a little to far i have been feeding ol roy for while now and my dogs are real fit have a look see in my gallery like i said earlier i know its not the best but poision come on now it never seems to fail that someone on this site knows more than the folks that have a degree in such maters he asked how to get his dog bigger not healthier tex

12. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“i think your taking the dog food thing a little to far i have been feeding ol roy<ST1:p</ST1:p for while now and my dogs are real fit”
    How am I taking it a “little to far”? How would you know if your dogs “are real fit” or not, being you look at the same poorly feed dogs daily and have became used to the “look” of unhealthy dogs? <O:p</O:p

“i know its not the best but poision come on now it never seems to fail that someone on this site knows more than the folks that have a degree in such maters”
    How proud you must feel, knowing what you're feeding is not doing the best for your dogs! Of course other owner's, veterinary’s, and our judicial system all agree it’s cheap, poison being the company has had numerous Class Action lawsuits against them! But please feel free to list one suitable ingredient for a working canine in it. Heck even elaborate on why you’d feed such junk? Shouldn’t be hard being you made the statements.<O:p</O:p

“he asked how to get his dog bigger not healthier tex</ST1:p”
    I’m fully aware of what he asked! Obviously he doesn’t just want to fatten his dog up, so nutrition and exercise is the answer to his question!

13. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

then aswer his question he asked for suggestions i gave some if you disagree thats alright you have not a clue of the dogs i have laid eyes on but once again you are the expert i had a look at your dogs and there nice however they dont look any better then some of the ol roy fed dogs i have seen and the reason i feed what i feed has to do with money i acknowledged that the food was not the best but we all cant afford 35 dollars a bag do what you do i'm gonna do what i do

14. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

yeah but ol' roy ?! If you cant afford to feed the dogs don't have them. Have you ever read the ingredients? If you want a healthy dog dont feed crap food. they may be ok now but when they are 5-6 years old you'll see the affects of a generic dog food. If it's a money issue at LEAST spend the extra $5 and get pedigree or purina or something. They arent great but they are better than Ol' Roy. I have an ex who's mom feeds ol' roy and I tell you what i could not STAND to touch her dogs. thier coats felt nasty and they stunk like the food. even right after a bath. and thier coats were always dull.

15. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“then aswer his question he asked for suggestions i gave some if you disagree thats alright”
    I did, work on your reading comprehension! Yes you did give him “suggestions” that you can’t even state why you’d recommend it. If giving a recommendation, you should be able to state the reasons for using it, which you obviously can’t!

“you have not a clue of the dogs i have laid eyes on but once again you are the expert”
    No I don’t nor do I care! I’ve never claimed or stated “I’m an expert”, but am educated enough to back up what I post with facts. Unlike you that can’t answer one question about your post recommendations. Maybe you simply just forgot to mention the useful benefits of adding “fried potatoes and some kind of pasta” to the dogs normal food? I’d be interesting in hearing the benefi/st of adding more carbohydrates to a kibble that is all ready glutted with them

“the reason i feed what i feed has to do with money”
    Then get rid of some dogs!

16. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

If you cannot afford to feed your best friends a decent food, maybe you should not own a dog period!Old roy is crap, i wouldnt feed it to any dog.diamond brand dog food is like 17 bucks a 40 pound bag and way better for your friends.
    i heard this one time from someone here"If you feed your dogs Ol Roy, youll end up having an Ol Roy!" lmao

17. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

let me ask you this what do you eat mcdonalds, kfc, crap like well if not good for you my point is its food there bellies are getting full coats shine(once again i refer you to my gallery) so i don't see the point in arguing about it the member wanted to know how to bulk up his dog direct your comments to him so i dont have to get banned check the what do you feed forum then come back at me

18. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

sorry if you thought i was trying to argue but the truth is, i dont have to live with your dogs and the future problems that could occur from feeding them junk for years.I was simply tring to help steer yall in a good direction food wise, to make sure your friends stay healthy.

19. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“so i don't see the point in arguing about it the member wanted to know how to bulk up his dog direct your comments to him so i dont have to get banned”
    Why would you be concerned with being banned? You can’t answer questions asked of you about your recommendations in a mature manner? How hard is it to state why you recommended what you posted? But we all ready know the answer…it’s not, you just can’t!

20. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

i dont know of to many people that give there dogs synthetic supplements.I dont believe in them myself.Just a good diet of good food. your dogs make up will take care of the rest.