1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Good Protein sources

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Fuhrer, Aug 29, 2005.

1. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

my honest opinion is that unless your dog is getting over bieng sick and lost alot of weight, then why would anyone want there dog to gain weight? especially in a unhealthy manner?

2. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

I agree. I have a friend who over feeds his dogs. This guys dogs are so over weight they have trouble in this heat. I asked him why he has his dogs so heavy and his reply is because he likes the way they look. He is always online looking at these big knuckleheads that are popular right now and is trying to do the same. America is so obsessed with food they think their dogs are suppose to be over weight as well. Pitiful in my opinion.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Size?? You mean make him grow bigger? or get bigger muscles? Anyhow I would just feed him a better quality dog food with higher protein content like performance or puppy dog food which have a high percent of protein like 30-31 percent.

4. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

the advice was not mine it was my vets i believe i stated that along with the original post
    You did state that, as I stated find somewhere else to get you nutritional information from. I’ll quote from the Merck Veterinary Manual 9<SUP>th</SUP> edition (being you and your vet should own it) Carbohydrates are a less expensive source of energy than fat or protein. In dogs, except for the lactating bitch, there appears to be no dietary requirement for carbohydrates. <O:p</O:p

Now all carbohydrates are bad and some beneficial to the canines, mainly when they are using glycolytie energy. It’s all in knowing what to feed and when to feed it, you give too much or the wrong type of carbohydrates…expect cramping during the workout!

and let me ask you how you know it all and the answer is a simple one
    I don’t know it all, I still read daily on various aspects of canines and buy books numerous times a year to help continue my education and various other things.

the apbt is a very active dog this tends to burn alot of calories so if it is weight gain you want add more calories or is that not how 40 percent of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1:pamerica</ST1:p</st1:country-region> got obese
    There is a difference between gaining muscle weight versus lard! We aren’t talking about humans, totally different nutritional needs.<O:p</O:p

5. RHI

RHI Big Dog

just wanted to say, if your feeding a good quality food, you don't need to suppliment, we just choose to...also, if you just change their diet, you will see a "Huge" differance, totally New looking and acting dogs because they will be healthier, at that point, you probably won't even feel they need any extra suppliments because of the differance it would of made from just changing foods....then add extras if you think you still want and need to suppliment..... theirs alot of good foods and much better foods then what your feeding, & not all as expensive as Canidae, just depends on ingrediants and the way they line up as far as how good they might be......if you don't want or can't take time looking & shopping, just look up differant dog foods and ingrediants and cost on the internet to what might also work for you, theirs also the topic of some opinions on differant types of foods you can look up.....you can also expeirament, either do a complete change over with all the dogs, or, try only a couple on the new food you choose and see if you notice a differance between dogs on the new food and dogs on currant food.....if trying a new food, remember it usually take atleast a month to see good results.....your odviously not happy with the way their looking, otherwise you would'nt be asking, worth a try, you are what you eat as they say........good luck with whatever you decide......

6. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Now don't get me wrong, but I want him big, but I also want him healthy, that is why I have been working with him so much

7. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I hear Diamond dog food has lots of protein. It will just take lots of researching dog foods to find which one contains the nutrients you want.

8. MR PITS

MR PITS Big Dog

40-45
    I say put you dog on Diamond. I have my dog on Diamond and she loves it and she looks healthy. She is 5 months old now and weighs about 40-45 pounds. If you dog is still a puppy I would go with the purple bag of Diamond which has 31 percent protein, and 20 percent fat.

9. I hope not to be chewed up for asking this..... (Be nice Tex)

My dog's diet is composed of Purina Dog Chow kibble mixed with canned food (Pedigree <Yellow Label>) most of his life and has maintained a shiny coat and healthy body. Since I decided to condition him by first lowering his food intake (6 weeks ago) (taking away the can food and reducing the amount of kibble). About 3 weeks ago, he started running 8 miles three times a week, walking "heavy" 1 day, and wrestling for an hour 1 day a week. The remaining two days are his resting days (which I try to keep them consecutive). For example, Mon-Wed running, Thurs. walking with weighed collar or harness, Friday and Saturday off, Sunday Wrestling. Please note I give my dog 2000 UI of vitamin E (liquid Capsules) and 1000 Mg of B-12 (pills) daily.

The day before he starts his two-day rest, I feed him two quarters of raw chicken with bones (no skin).

Please examine my routine and suggest or comment ways of improving.

10. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Please elaborate wrestling? Would Kroger carry diamond???

11. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Wrestling is just that. Wrestling.

To the best of my knowledge, Diamond is not carried in any supermarkets or such. Feed stores and Petco stores are two places I've seen it sold.

12. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Ok, good deal..Thanks alot.

13. It is everything but the biting.

14. Does anyone have a comment, suggestion, or opinion about my dog's eating and exercise routine? I am very interested in hearing your opinions.

15. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

(Be nice <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:State w:st=<ST1:pTex</ST1:p</st1:State>)
    I’m always nice, most of the time too nice!

My dog's diet is composed of Purina Dog Chow kibble mixed with canned food (Pedigree ) most of his life and has maintained a shiny coat and healthy body.
    Since I decided to condition him by first lowering his food intake (6 weeks ago) (taking away the can food and reducing the amount of kibble).
    Yikes!

About 3 weeks ago, he started running 8 miles three times a week, walking "heavy" 1 day, and wrestling for an hour 1 day a week. The remaining two days are his resting days (which I try to keep them consecutive). For example, Mon-Wed running, Thurs. walking with weighed collar or harness, Friday and Saturday off, Sunday Wrestling.
    Not sure what you want to know about your workout with him? What is the ultimate goal in doing this current workout routine? Whatever it is you’ll never get him in optimal condition with the current food you feeding him.

Please note I give my dog 2000 UI of vitamin E (liquid Capsules) and 1000 Mg of B-12 (pills) daily.
    Why and what’s the purpose of giving the two vitamins?

The day before he starts his two-day rest, I feed him two quarters of raw chicken with bones (no skin).
    Being your kibble is very bleak nutritionally, the chicken at least helps some. Chicken quarters shouldn’t be a staple diet though, being the calcium to meat ratio is off. Why don’t you feed that skin?

“Please examine my routine and suggest or comment ways of improving.”
    You never have stated what your ultimate goal is, so hard for anyone to suggest anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2005
  16. Tex, you kill me (haha) with your method of replying.
    Ok. My goal is to have him at his physical peak. I am just not completely sure the difference between the two kinds of foods (what is 'recommended" and mine) make more than 5% difference.

I state this because I have seen dogs on "no brand" dog food looking great and acting very energetic. Scooby (dog in my gallery) is fed some $2 a bag dog food and I don't see him weak nor physically lacking. I am not contradicting you Tex; I am only stating what I have seen.

I do not know what you are recommending with "Yikes".

Let me be more detailed on my goals for my dog. As you know, fighting them is illegal. Thus, I do the next best thing, Pit wrestle him. Therefore, I want to continue pushing him until I see him give up (if ever). He has not thus far. The longest another dog has lasted was about 1 hr and 10 minutes or so. As I am becoming frustrated with the lack of competition, I am considering putting him against several dogs consecutively. I aim to have him wrestle between 2-3 hours with 20 to 30 second rests (no more than 3 rest periods an hour). Is this detailed enough for ya?

17. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Try HY-TEK Rations in the red bag. MIKA loves it and she is staying pretty fit on it to. I don't feed raw eggs.