1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Green Tripe???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BoiBoi, Apr 25, 2008.

1. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Does anyone give their dogs green tripe? What nutrients does a dog get form tripe? How much should be fed? any feedback welcome

2. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

I've given my dogs tripe, I believe its intestines. Pretty good for helping good stomach and intestinal bacteria if i rememeber correctly but also, product of gas :p

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

its actually the lining of a cows stomach, those crazy italians like to eat it, ewwwwwww grosss lol

4. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

ahh i knew it was somethign silly like that, lol wouldnt catch me eatin it

but to the topic, are you looking at solid gold's green tripe?

5. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

nah im just looking at possibly given fresh green tripe if it really would help with something

6. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

Well, I;ve used their stuff before and have given some to my family esp in the freeze dried form i found best, and less gass :) always a plus

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=60&code=260

"Dogs benefit from tripe as it contains a number of nutrients. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids, Omega 6 fatty acids, enzymes, phytonutrients and probiotics. "

sorry i am not a plethora of info atm...too much pain killer and im swelled up like a chipmunk :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  7. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

yea i was looking at some freeze dried green tripe treats, but i don't know if im gonna pay 9 bucks for a package that only has 5 or 6 treats in it

8. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Not sure of the exact nutrients it has, but it's good for them. If you're getting the fresh stuff, just to warn you, it smells like ass. But my dogs loved it.

9. Wow Boi Boi, you find that in PA? I can only find the bleached (white) tripe. That stuff (white tripe) does not have the nutritional value of green version. And yes, i have eaten tripe in soup. It is chewy if memory serves me right (it has been about 13 years).

10. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

i haven't found it yet, but i could if i really wanted to feed it to the dogs. I've eaten it too at the local italian fest in my area, not all that bad tasting in the soup but the texture kills it for me, i can't mess with the stuff

11. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

It's an excellent source of enzymes for your dogs. It can be given on a daily basis.

It is hard to get a hold of. There are suppliers upstate. If you hassle your butcher about it he can order it for you. It usually sells for approximately $0.85/lb. They usually come in 30-35lb boxes for something like $30.

I have had it the Italian way too and I agree it's not one of my favorites. But, I have also had it in Mexico from a friend of mine and it was marinated and grilled, like a steak, and oh yeah, it was excellent!

~Mr Mark

12. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

how much would i be giving for lets say a 35lb dog? half pound enough per day?

13. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

Yup, that's good!

14. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

That is way too much, if you want to feed it daily than you can cut up a small piece and feed it but a dog only needs it maybe twice a week at most.

Check out www.animalfood.com they have the green tripe in freeze dried kibble form so that you can add a few pieces a day to their regular meals.

15. Green tripe is good for your dogs. It contains gastric juices and enzymes that will help your dog digest and utilize food more sufficiently. It also contains amino acids which we all know are good for developing muscles. It is also known to help reduce tarter on their teeth. Hope it helped.

16. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

thanks for the info maximus and oldtime, i might get some of the dried version to test it out and see how my dogs do
    YIS
    B

17. No problem, good luck with it.

18. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Just stick to the stuff I told you :cool:. Just don't feed too much like me:eek:

19. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

lol yea i feel ya, just doing a little research cause i heard about feeding tripe today

20. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

Freeze dried is just as good as the real version just without the water and the mess and nowhere near as stinky. PLus it's alot easier to store than in your freezer and having to thaw that stuff out in the kitchen and having it stink it up.