1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gun suggestions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by F.D., Feb 19, 2012.

1. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Hi,

I am shopping for the best 9mm I can get. The best is somewhat a function of personal preference of course.

But I am looking at the Sigarms p226 (maybe Elite version) and the HK P30L. The qualities I desire include accuracy, reliability, and shooting enjoyability. Home protection isn't the primary motivation, but I do believe that home protection is enhanced when you have a reliable gun that you can shoot comfortably.

These guns are in the $1K range, so I want to try to make an educated choice before I invest at that level.

Thank you...

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

The Sig sauer P226 is a great gun,if you want a slightly more compact gun then a Sig P228 is great too.They're expensive but good,I've owned a few Sigs from the P230 up to the P220 and the quality has been excellent. If you want a completely serviceable but cheaper gun,a Glock is also a good choice.Several people hate them because mostly because they still can't let themseves like a polymer frame but they're workhorses.I have Glock models G17,G19,G22,G27, and have owned a G23 and G30 in the past and never had a problem.I feel as well protected by one as the other honestly.I've not shot the HK P30 so I can't comment on it,but I love Sigs and Glocks.

3. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

H&K or a Glock! Both great guns.

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Masterpiece Arms Mac 11 of you want to have some fun.

I had a taurus millenium for a while that was a reliable gun.

5. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

for real naustroms?? my taurus millenium pro was junk so i bought a glock and haven't looked back.

6. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I know Lee D bought a Walther not to long ago and was raving about it. There are a few gun threads already if you feel like searching.

7. I got a Sig 226....love it. But if your going to spend 1k or more you might as well get a 1911. Kimber makes really nice 1911's but they are .45........although i do believe they make 1 version in 9mm. Glocks are ok but i love the steel guns. Reason being, if you own a glock and your home burns to the ground, all youll have left is a barrel and recoil spring. ill be out a set of grips......

8. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

i second that.Ime taurus r shitty guns.Love glocks for the money

9. elifan

elifan Big Dog

glock all the way one of the most reliable handguns

10. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/ glock hands down, more reliable than any other 9mm your money can buy unless you go with the 1911 platform and plan on shelling out 2 grand or more. and good choice on the round size, the 9mm has killed more people world wide since WWII than any other round.

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I may have been lucky with mine. Heard both good and bad but personally it fired when I needed it too. Never had to send it in. Ended up selling the gun though.

12. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I like 1911s,they can be good guns (although I'd get one in .45 if I were getting a 1911) but in most situations I'd just as soon or probably rather have a Sig or Glock.Unless you just like the trigger of the 1911 (which is nice) the Sig and Glock will protect someone just as well and have a higher magazine capacity with the 9mm compared to a single stack 9mm 1911 magazine. As I said,most people who don't like Glocks don't because of some perceived notion they have of the polymer frame,which has been in use for around 30 years and has proven itself to be a good,tough reliable gun. Actually,if your house burns,I wouldn't shoot anything that was left in the fire,you'll have to get alot more than new grips.I've seen guns that were in a house fire before.

13. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

My favorite guns chambered in 9x19mm (as far as pistols go) are Glocks,Sigs and the Browning Hi Power

14. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

we got the ruger lc9 couple months back and love it. holds 7+1 and is tiny, real accurate and reliable. great sights and right price.

15. Jdll13

Jdll13 Big Dog

Go with a Glock. Reliable and dependent. Not to expensive either.

16. cheese

cheese Top Dog

I have a s&w M&P and love it. 1000's of rounds through it and never a hiccup. CZ's are very nice. HK and sigs are nice but expensive. If glocks feel good in your hand they are hard to beat. I really like Kahrs too

17. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

our s&w m&p .40c has been great to us, great feel, american made, never one issue in 3 years. love that piece. but to conceal, dont sleep on the ruger lc9

18. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Sig's are good quality guns, and maybe feel better in your hands. Glock's have proven to be more reliable. I remember when I used to manage a gun shop and would always read reports and comparison tests. The Glock 17 fired almost 10,000 rounds before its first jam. And, if you were to ever drop one from 2000 feet out of a helicopter, they will still fire too lol.
    .40 cal would be my preference though.

19. spaniard

spaniard Pup

for the money hand down glock if you like the sig and dont mind paying the money then get a sig had an hk it was kinda top heavy . how often are you going to shoot it ? you dont want a 1000 dollar gun just sitting in your closet i go with a glock
    for money and reliable

20. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Good suggestions thus far - thank you all!

I will try to compare the Glock and Sig side by side. I like 1911s, but I also like the fact that the 9mm has a higher magazine capacity, and that rounds are cheaper so you can shoot more for the same price.