1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

HA American Pitbull Terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by viegas703, Mar 29, 2010.

1. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Im new to the game so i dont know much at all about this topic so i would like to ask those more knowledgeable than me. Are there any Lines that tend to produce HA dogs? are there many past or current greats that are HA? and last is this a HUGE fault in the breed considering its not of its original nature? MY personal opinion is, i dont see anything wrong with a dog that doesnt like people outside of its circle, meaning family and friends. I would hate to come home one day and find out my dog was stolen because he is just too damn nice to everyone. I would like my dog to not just let some stranger come and mess with him or steal him, not without a fight atleast. Is that a big fault in the breed?

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

there are dogs that throw manbiters. most people wont breed manbiters but some do. Depends on what your goal for your dogs are, or if your a moron. If you are breeding and selling dogs to the public then you will damage your own and the breeds image by selling pups to people who may end up biting someone. If you hunt with the dogs and arent worried about them getting attack and breed for your own personal purposes then other characteristics in that dog might make you overlook a manbiter. Kind've depends on the person but as a general rule stay away from HA apbts. If you want a protection dog get a protective breed. Not saying abpts cant be good protection dogs bc its been proven they can but their are already dogs bred for that purpose and every dogbite hurts the rep of the breed that much more.

3. venom

venom Top Dog

I guess it depends. Dogs are still dogs, regardless of the breed and a well bred dog can still act out of character depending on the situation. For example, I find house dogs to be a little more possesive over the home and people that live in it then dogs who reside on a chain spot. It could be because of lack of human contact you know, dogs on the chainspot are limited compared to house dogs and their time with the owner is usually divided between the other dogs outside that need care and attention also. So maybe the chained dogs are more eager for some human contact and just enjoy company. But it could go either way because there are some dogs that are protective over their chainspot just like a house dog is of the home.

I also think that dogs pick up on your behavior... If you're weary and lookin out windows when you think a car pulls up, or get excited or suspicious when you hear a knock at the door, I think your dog can pick up on that and emulate your behavior... they can feel and sense your fear, anxiety, and see if you've been startled. A dog on a chain spot may not get to witness this kind of behavior from all the people that live in the house... So a well bred, naturally stable dog can turn into a barkaholic anxious dog when strangers arrive. My dogs pick up on little things like me jumpin up out of the chair to get the phone or get the door... and they do the same thing. I'm sure they didn't learn it on their own but from me. I don't think I would consider this HA though.

4. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Instead of HA agressive ill replace it with "smart". I would never want an all out HA dog, thats a liability. BUT i do want a smart dog that isnt going to just get stolen from some complete stranger, or let someone come into the house when im not home that shouldnt be there. But i dont need a protection APBT, i have a doberman, and my fists and kicks(boxing and MMA makes you confident in your self lol). The point you made about inside dogs and outside dogs could have a real legitimacy to it that i never thought about but makes a lot of sense.

5. venom

venom Top Dog

yeah, i don't know as far as a real bulldog is concerned. All of mine have needed to be kenneled when i was not home or they would destroy everything lol guess i would never know if they could get stolen or not... but i never leave them unattended in the house to protect it even if they would. It takes a certain kind of dog to be able to trust it in the house alone, especially with other animals. I've had ALOT of accidents, not even with them attacking the other animals but just of destroying shit. So i just lock them all up... even had 2 dogs die because i left them unattended and they ate shit they werent suppose too and i never even knew about it til they died. So i just lock em up when im not around.

6. venom

venom Top Dog

if they wanted to steal them they could just pick my crate up lol

7. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

lol. I keep my boy inside, hes a house dog but by no means a couch potato. I dont expect him to be a guard dog, lol just a smart dog. Do apbt enthusiast find anything wrong with house dogs? When hes ready hes going to be worked, id like to weight pull and hog hunt with him. But i still consider him a pet. A working pet.

8. venom

venom Top Dog

I don't see anything wrong with a pet, as long as they are used for something. I am not indifferent to other breeds anyone specific, this should be with all breeds. Most have a purpose and need an outlet, no dog should not be properly exercised.

9. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Doesnt every dog count as a pet? regardless of whether its a working dog or not? if not a pet what would they be considered?

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

its not hard to teach him to bark at strangers if he is stil young. Just bc he is a bull breed ppl will back off. My largest female doesnt want to do anything but lick ppl to death but she has a scary ass bark and is crazy hyper. People are terrified of her and i let them be lol
    Less drama for me to worry about :D

11. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

I was going to make a thread but ill just ask here. Since pitbulls dont look like pitbulls, in other words REAL pitbulls dont look like what people THINK are pitbulls, does it have its advantages? as in do people not give you shit about your dogs because they dont know theyre pitbulls?

12. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

People realize my dogs are APBTs but usually ask why they are "small". I have one female that isn't game bred ,so to speak, at all. She was more bred for show,hunting and obedience and that is what she is good at. No, HA. No DA. Nothing. So, I usually get asked why she is so small or what she is crossed with. Lmfao. People wouldn't know a REAL APBT today if it bit em in the ass.

13. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

That is a good thing;)

14. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Thats my point, so shouldnt people with real apbt be at an advantage and people with bullies and staff be at a dissadvantage since the public believes those to be real apbt? People will walk by a well condionted apbt and probably just think its a pointer, or greyhound. But they walk past a bully or staff and shit their pants.

15. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

Depends. A friend of mine lives in "BSL country" and almost had her Pitbull/Lab/Chow mix taken. She had to move completely. That isn't even close to a real APBT and she wasn't at much of an advantage.

16. Finkle

Finkle Big Dog

Many dogmen have had to use other guardian breed dog's to protect the bulldogs from being stole, it is a fact that majority of these dog's if bred properly are not HA but can almost be human shy to a fault. That being said some will guard there house, my female has little use for people coming into my home if she don't know you then she doesn't really like you, i don't mind this, but i would never use her as a guard dog, and i don't necessarily promote this behavior, that being said me and her share the same views on people we don't know coming into/onto our domain so we make it work.

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

It's all up to what your willing to put up with, Some won't feed em some will, I believe any bulldog can be encouraged to become HA and once shown to do it, like anything they do, will give you 110% at it. I had a true HA bulldog once that was my house dog
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=308023
    (he made it to 4) and I would never want one again, they are too much responsibility and a huge liability. However, I do like a dog to look over my home,(not protect, look over or watch not guard, 9 times out of ten, the sight of a APBT is enough for most would be bungalo burgerlers just because the general public dosn't know any better). I have a bitch right now that absoultely adores all people she has ever came in contact with
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=287139
    but if you did something stupid in the house or around anyone who lives in the house, that ass is gettin chewed up. Yet I don't concider her to have any HA in her. I concider a HA dog to be a dog that will attack a person unprovoked just because they're there, but then again I do have a male
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=487
    that will possibilly bite you either way.

So I guess in short to answer you questions:

1. All lines can produce them.
    2. Plenty past greats would bite you.
    3. It's only a fault, I believe anyway, if it's to the extreme the dog will attack totally unprovoked, anyone for any reason, dogs like that need dirt naps.

18. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Good post agk:) When i got this one the breeder warned me that he wouldn't make a good house dog because the way he is bred tends to get human aggressive and overly protective. He was worried because of the kids I have in the house. Well he was right and wrong. He is an excellent house dog but when anyone comes over even friends he has to be crated or he will kill someone. He sleeps with the kids and plays good with them. He can't wait till they get home from school. I trust him with my life that he won't hurt the kids. He's never even growled at them when they play rough. I have tried to socialize him since he was 4 months old. He is a year now. He tries to eat through the cage to get at someone when they come over. These pics are him at 6 months old.
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=332513

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. popper

popper CH Dog

veigas IMO you are in no position to be owning a human aggresive apbt... just 3 to 4 weeks ago you were thinking about culling the pup

20. Alma

Alma Big Dog

Personally I wouldnt own one and If I found myself with one, Id have it PTS rather quickly. An HA APBT is a liability and unless youre an experienced dogman/woman, owning an HA pit bull is only asking for trouble. As we ALL know, these dogs are not for everyone and an HA one is a fit for even less.