1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

had a kennel fight today...any advice

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Sampson1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

so today i came outside to realize that i had an accidental "roll" in progress. My avatar " Kane,10 month old Redboy pup" and Chomp "a 9 month old pup" were in the process of trying to kill eachother as Kane had gotten off his chain and managed to get into Chomps Kennel by way of force.. i heard the other dogs barkin and actin a fool so i went to check and make sure My regular escape artist "Sampson" hadnt gotten off his chain since i had recently put 2 collars on him to put and end to that.. upon walking out the back door i instantly noticed Kane wasnt on his chain and the other dogs were all facing the kennels.. so i grabbed my break stick and ran to see who else was involved (since i automatically assumed the worst) lucky for me it was 2 youngins and Kane hadnt ran head first into a mature dog..not to say it wasnt bad..both of them weigh in at about 55 lbs and so i lucked out there too..atleast nobody was trying to push weight..then i lucked out again when my brother heard me calling and came running with another break stick..by the time he got there and we got them apart my guess is they had been fighting for about 15 to 20 minutes (appox. time since thats about the time i heard the rest of the dogs get wild couldve been shorter couldve been longer) and let me tell you what for a couple of young pups that i didnt even know turned on yet they did more damage then i thought they would..we brought them to our vetinarians house and she looked them over (individually) and told me that the damage was moderate but to watch them closely and make sure it didnt get infected.. but i need advice..is there something i did wrong? i didnt even know they were DA yet and i also didnt know Kane could escape his chain setup...any advice is welcome but please keep it clean

AC

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

.......no?

3. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

why the ? sounds like your not to sure...lol

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

lol first it took me a minute to even find the question.

1. pups got into it
    2. reached for oh shit stick first
    3. attended to the problem
    4. took animals to see a vet

not sure i see anything wrong. maybe brush up on some first aid so you don't have to take them i after every scuffle but thats not a "wrong"

5. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol thanks for verifying..
    and i have shit loads of first aid for dogs (and i worked at a vets office for a few summers when i was younger but i wanted this on record just in case someone came knocking and i have 2 busted up pups chillen on chains...lol

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i have the funny vibe your fishing for compliments?:cool: lol

7. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol nah Laced i was honestly wondering if there was anything i did wrong..
    i mean i did everything i thought i should but ya know once your adrenaline starts pumpin you kinda act more on instinct then intellect..;)

8. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

only thing i see, is you better just take another look at how ya tether them. if its right, they can't escape;)
    pups are pups though, can't see it would have hurt em none, but it may well want em to get back into it lol...

9. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

Could'nt agree more , if you know he is "AN ESCAPE ARTIST" why dont you buy some decent collars, swivels etc , so in future he cannot get off the chain set up . Learn by your mistakes !!!

10. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Prevention is better than a cure. Stop the dogs escaping and you will have no accidents.

11. teestee

teestee Pup

ive never had a problem when using two collars!Glad it wasnt worse.

12. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

How is your dog escaping? Slipping thru it's collar? Broken hardware in your chain set up? 2 collars and still escaping? Either they're too loose or you're needing some better collars, idk. One sturdy 2 inch collar should be good enough, I never had a problem with it. Like someone stated earlier, check your chain set up, you might have to buy some better quality equipment. Good luck! :dogtongue:

13. Belcher256

Belcher256 Big Dog

'You seem to have done everything right, but cheaping out on how your chain ur dogs is not always good. Make sure your chain set up is solid. Better then a dog getting loose and killing another and you losing money that way. As far as puppys being DA, Ive seen a lot, but its mostly same sex.

14. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

what you need to do is get your chains sorted out. or get better collars for the escape artist.

15. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

ok maybe i put it the wrong way..my escape artist didnt get loose..i thought he had thats why i was so quick to react. he's the largest dog i own at 68lbs and i definately didnt want him on another dog (but he hasnt escaped since i put an extra collar on him)..the dog that got loose was my 10 month old Rebdoy pup Kane and he generally stays active on the chain but he's never gotten off..and yeah i think his collar may have been too loose he slipped out of it. and they wouldnt have quit anytime soon if we hadnt stopped them...when we got them apart they both went to screamin and trying to get at eachother..thanks for all yalls advice im gonna invest in some new collars and check my chain setup just to be sure i havent missed anything..

16. preme

preme CH Dog

tighten that collar down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

I second that!

When you have this breed I feel like it is a must to atleast know "simple" first aid because there is ALWAYS a chance that shit will could happen!

And one of these times you could end up to a vet that is a real asshole and thus could cause you alot of problems!

There are many vet books that you can read (and understant) and the Complete Game Dog by Ed Farron is a must have in my opinion.

After you educate youself; getting antibiotics and other first aid must haves are very simple.

Especially for you guys in America, this is a must! It appears that they are out to get any one with an apbt. So taking one to the vet that was in a yard accident is asking for problems!

Just my opinion!

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

good post!

19. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

glad you got your priorities right lol....wouldn't want to loose any money..wtf:rolleyes:

20. CTG

CTG Big Dog

it took 15 to 20mins to break them apart?

it should only take a couple of seconds to control that situation by yourself.