1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

hand walking

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by wheezie, Aug 13, 2010.

1. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

handwalking has been higley streseed as one, if no THE most imprtant aspect when conditioning a dog. what are, (if any) are the advantages to hand walking a a dog so many miles instead of biking the dog or using a jenny. i would think biking the dog would get the cardio up much better from raising the heart rate and also knock at least half of the time it takes to cover so many miles. looking forward to your replys

2. MCS

MCS CH Dog

IMO they need the biking or jenny for the wind/cardio and the hand walking for the resistance or strength training.....So I guess I would say they are complimentary to eachother.

3. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

when it comes to hand walking, the most important here IS BONDING!!!!!!!! and you and your dog exercising and staying healthy.
    :D

4. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

would that be complimentary, or supplementary?

5. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

i agree with this. i also don't think a dog would enjoy being on any kind of mill as much as being out with its owner walking and running.

6. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Hand-walking is more about the resistance than the distance.

7. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I dunno, wasn't so good at english class in school.....

I agree with the bonding, good point sorry I overlooked. In addition walking allows them to be alert and stimulate the mind to its surroundings versus being enganged and focused on a task of running with a bike or on a jenny.

8. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

this is something i was also wondering as i figured many people were having the dogs drag them around. so if hand walking is more about resistance couldn't you just do drag weight and use biking or jogging for cardio

9. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

not good in english how about te lo interpreto en espanol
    :D. Suplementario o complementario ;)

90 grados
    180 grados

90 Degrees
    180 Degrees :D:D:D

10. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

we do a lot of hand walking, lately I increase it each week. The bonding is important to me for sure as well though. My girl doesn't really pull with all her might on walks but she is always in front with a slight and at times resistance being felt. I enjoy walking for her to see and hear new things and smells as much as she is getting in her cardio it all adds up to having a good mental health for the dog imo and going up and down on hills are our favorite.

11. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i would not say handwalking is about resistence most dogs only pull for so long. a lot of the reason for handwalking is inbetween the speed work such as milll, or biking your dog needs to recover and that is where handwalking comes in, but if you get yourself a nice 30 ft lead and hit a field your dog can get a good pace going and even a jog. in order to get in good condition be it dog or man you have to raise the heart rate so if handwalking raises it to the right level then it will work but if not there is no conditioning going on.

12. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

good point I do like to also do a walk and jog ordeal sometimes, where we walk and then start jogging and then walk and repeat. Walking uphill and downhill get's my heart rate going haha and I am sure it does for her as well especially when your going against sand geez that is tiring!

13. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

thats what im talking about. if hand walking does not raise a dog heart rate unless you are jogging the dog then what is the real purpose? your not going to out run a dog on foot but with a bike you can control the speed enough to get the dog going from a slow brisk walking pace to trotting all the way to a full blown sprint and back down. i can see hand walking used as a way to get a dog to LOOK like its in good shape for conformation show but don't see how it is possible to really build a dogs wind for something performance based.

14. peppapig

peppapig Banned

100% agree.

15. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Its more for the bond and the mental aspect of the dog.However there are some folks who hand walk more than anything,probably 90% of there keep is hand walking.They normally do pretty well with it also.I don't agree with it,i do think it is a very important part of a keep,but i feel that a dog needs to do more than just hand walking to be in prime condition.

16. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I remember reading a story about a historical dog from thr 50's A man owned him and he had 10 kids. No time to walk the dog to get him ready for a event. Each kid had to walk him a couple miles...dog got in good shape.

17. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Whatever works for ya. Not every dog pulls, not every dog roams while hand-walking, no matter how long a lead you use. Without the right pace, right dog, etc., you really don't do much more than give yourself some good exercise.

18. MCS

MCS CH Dog

It tones the rear, my girl pulls mildly until she sees something, squirel, biker etc then it is a huge burst and all out until the object is gone. It is good for working the legs for a powerful burst. It is in addition to cardio like you mention and this combo can be seen in colby's book to the keeps I have seen posted here. Both are needed for balance.

19. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

my buddy uses the 4 wheeler bicycle to get his dogs in shape...they follow and he works they up to over 2 hrs.

20. U.T.K'S SCORCH

U.T.K'S SCORCH Big Dog

what about walkin with a weight collar or vest?