1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heatstoke during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by AGK, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I use Go-Dog and plenty of water for working a dog in the hot summer months, but Pedialyte/water can also be used to make sure the electrolytes are replenished.

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I will have to look that one up! lol Never heard of it ... Thanks for sharing I like pedialyte it's really good.

3. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Yea, Sadie I have used Powerade/Gatorade as well in a pinch lol, but I prefer the Go-Dog.

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Hahaha .. I just went and looked at it looks good I like that it doesn't have all that sugar in it! I might try it out thanks for sharing...

5. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Cool, check it out, I think you'll like it. ;)

6. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

If a dog gets heat stroke you should not just put cold water on him. Start with warm and work your way to cold. Just throwing cold water on him can make him go into shock.

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Acclimate that shit.........................like a fish! Lol

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes crimson is right you have to bring the dogs body temp down slowly you use Luke warm cloths then cool cloths you don't want to shock the dogs body by putting cold ice on a dog with a high body temp they don't do that in the Er either they bring it down at a controlled rate. Good advice ghost

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I guess I am just old school, all ya need is a fricken water hose , but hey what do I know I aint a expert like yall LMAO

10. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Water hose? You mean to just soak them down with?

11. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

No your just from the wana be funny retard school. Cause if you were smart enough to slow down and think. When a water hose has been sitting in the sun all day and you turn it on. What comes out of it? YYAAHH that's right saiy warm water. Boy I knew you wasn't as dumb as people say. But hey what do I know I'm not a 40 year seasoned dogman like saiy. Lmmffao chump. When you make yourself look dumb trying to look cool. It's time to rethink your strategy.

12. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

this was exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to say ..too funny guess I'm not alaone

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i would lead toward the blood work up, but since it was last year, i would think it was more along the lines of dehydration...or even a combination of the two....i would bet one just complicated the other or maybe one magnified the other...i had one years back who had an actual heat stroke...it was after the second dance and it was in the summer months...he made it that morning but had lingering effects for the next four to five years...he could be walking normally and just lean to one side and fall over....it would take ten to fifteen minutes and he would get his shit together and then he was as good as new til the next time....eventually lost sight in one eye...and never had the same mobility or coordination....so if your hound is OK now i doubt it was a heat stroke then....US1

14. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

So you should provide more info in general!
    Thing is a matter of temperature, hot or cold weather?
    If it ain´t that hot and for example your dog gets the first time real hard work under his belt it could happen it would be a cardiological issue also!
    The other matter is in what kind of shape do you keep the dog on average! Do you keep him on an certain active level?
    How about his diet? Maybe he has too much internal fat still? Do you feed a to high level of carb?
    How do you work him? Or to be more specific what kind of workout did he do as he collapsed? Running the mill, springpole, flirtpole? What signs have you noticed shortly before the collapse became apparent?
    Do you know how to detect the pulse of your dog and what pulse rate he has when relaxed, what when worked and what
    shortly after being worked like 5 min, 10 min, 15 min after?
    This could give you an idea of it´s cardiological condition also!
    How do you increase work?
    These are all things to consider!

15. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Didn´t read the other threads!

16. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO@MrBIG man stepping up to the plate LOL, Cynthia must of loosen the leash on you LMAOROTF Sick em boy sick em LMAO

From my perspective your the only one that is making ya self look dumb by even replying to my simple post cause you seem offended am I right? LMAO

Crimson , you should know me by now , my STRATEGY is too give a sarcastic reply and the wait and see who takes the bait, and usually its the retards who bite, I didnt expect you to become one too LMAO

So in conclusion, I am not the one who should rethink my strategy because it WORKED on you LMAOROTF.

Heck even LacedwithCur as retarded as he is was smart enough NOT to take the bait LMAO

But its all good man , how is Cynthia doing?

17. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

U dont want me in this saiy..............how many times do u need to be battered before u check into the abused womens clinic?

No go back to ur moms garage n play ur drumset! Lol

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Oh my bad AGK, I must of missed your question.

Get the water hose and whip ya dog with it that way you can beat the heat out him LMAOROTF.

Aight back to being serious now lol....another thing to watch out for which is basically common sense that a lot of people over look is BURNING your dogs PADS on super hot concrete or some kind of asphalt, even sand and dirt can get really hot in temps of 80 degrees and up in DIRECT sunlight.

Direct Sunlight, high temperatures, hot surfaces, exhaustion are all factors that can be dangerous do your dogs and lead to heat stroke.

2 best things to prevent heat stroke is WATER and SHADE, can yall say it with me? WATER and SHADE , I cant hear you? WATER AND SHADE!!!! LMAO

Some times its the HEAT that BEATS the dog.

19. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Ah shit I spoke to soon , there he is LMAO

20. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

Why would I be offended by someone else's stupidity?
    Actually I enjoy your sarcasm. But you've been a little calm lately.
    Also I heard your dad was outta town, so I figured you needed something to do with your dicksucker. Lol

" sure do smell alot of perfume in here! Must be that time of the month!!!" lmmfao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.