1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heatstoke during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by AGK, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Pretty much right here!!!!!!

And Saiy don't bring me in shit. I have nothing to do with him. He is a grown man.

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LOL, I enjoy my sarcasm too thats why I come on here for a good laugh at your expense LOL

I have also calm down a bit, before mtmeatme scolds me again LMAO. So I am trying to turn over a new leaf and behave my self LOL.

Oh and btw Crimson close your legs cause that aint perfume you are smelling LMAOROTF

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I know Cyn I just missed you is all LMAO

4. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well i might not be a vet . but i know what they told me to do to save dogs before and they lived and were fine . is to put ice on the head and wet towels or water puddle on the ground or whatever you can fine to cool them down slow . but that head was cooled down fast . and they were black dogs in the summer . but really hot and humid . they had water i was there and watched both dogs fall to the ground . they were just barking when i was feeding and they just ate . this was 2 different times . black dogs have a hard to in the heat . when your walking your dog always have a water bottle with you . don't give it unless you see there see a problem . but it want hurt your dog in keep or just walking to give it water if you see they are in trouble .

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

We have at least 2-5 heat strokes every summer at my job. And you can not bring the temp up to rapidly. Otherwise you can cause other issues.

People are going to do what they want regardless of sound advice from others. Everyone has an "opinion" and what has worked for them. However just because it has worked does not mean it is the correct way.

6. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well i guess my vet was wrong then . but he's old so the young ones must be right .

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Maybe so. However the vet who owns the practice graduated 24 yrs ago. The Vet I worked for in Atl 7yrs ago graduated UGA in 1969. So those are not new or young. :)

You also need to be careful with the water intake.

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Sure do water intoxication lol

HYPONATREMIA* -- Water Toxicity: 
    Any activity or situation...can lead to water intoxication when water is consumed to replace lost fluids. Anyone working in extreme heat and/or humidity for long periods must take care to drink and eat in ways that help to maintain electrolyte balance. Overexertion, heavy perspiration, and drinking large amounts of water to rehydrate, can lead to electrolyte imbalance and water intoxication. Even those who are resting quietly in extreme heat or humidity may run the risk of water intoxication if they drink large amounts of water over short periods for rehydration.  If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs  (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride).  This causes cells to swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure from within. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result.  Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with an alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously.  This can effect human or dog and care should be taken when engaging in any strenuous activity especially during the hot seasons. 

9. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well if you worked dogs yourself and know what to look for , you will see if the dog is to dry before you start to work it . then is a good time to water your dog before you work. that's why they walk to empty before they work . but if your caught away from any water and you dog goes down you in trouble . reading it and doing it is 2 different things . you can read all you want . but unless you actually worked dogs you want know . that's why people who worked alot of dogs can save their dogs from trouble before it starts . and if it still happens then you know what to do .

10. Pay up and let the dog recuperate. I only work in the morning because we are going hunting early in the morning. I lost a bulldog due to working in him 90-95 degree weather lesson learned.

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

LMAO Old Goat

So you were told you are wrong. Then Sadie posted an article about fluid intake. And the best you can come up with was well "doing it and reading about it is 2 different things" funny shit.

Common sense you do not allow your dog to drink a lot before a workout and drink a lot right after.

But hey do you!

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Goat I mean no disrespect to you and I can agree to disagree. If you feel ok with your practices thats completely fine but medical professionals who have gone to medical school for years to practice medicine do not recommend doing it the way you suggested because if you bring the bodies temp down too quickly it can cause the body to actually go into shock this is a medical concern for treating someone with heat stroke think about this for a minute if you were burning up with 105 fever and jumped into a ice bath immediately how do you think the body would react to such a drastic change in temperature? This is why using fans, sponging or using luke warm-cool clothes, and getting the subject out of the heat immediately is the best way to treat a life threatening condition like heat stroke. I would encourage you to speak to other MD's and Vet's other than the one you spoke with so you can hear it from other professionals who have saved millions of lives and have been in the medical field for a very long time actually actively practicing medicine as a licensed professional in the field. Doctors and Vet's learned from reading too they actually read a great deal in medical school and even out of school since the medical field is forever changing so there is nothing wrong with reading and there is plenty of medical literature written by other medical professionals, scholars, and scientists who have not only practiced medicine but have also done extensive studies. I have never heard a doctor say well since I have my MD now I don't need to read anymore or I don't have to continue to keep up with the latest developments in medicine if doctors thought that way there would be no room for growth we would never find the cure for cancer or other terminal illnesses. You may be old ;) But that shouldn't keep you from being stuck in your old ways lol. The old way is not always the better way.

13. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

yall arguing for nothing yall saying the same thing just read.Old goat said that the dog should be cooled down gradually(the method doesnt matter so long as its done gradually just get it started asap).And its a damn good idea to give your dog a lil drink if u see they need it during exorcise.I never saw where Old goat said to drown the dog.If u jogging and u start to get a lil light headed or any symptoms of heat stroke or dehydration youd be wise to stop take a seat in a shaded place preferably with a breeze and take a drink of water.do the same 4 your dog

14. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

And if u cant tell when your dog is starting to labor you dont need to be exorcising him.You wouldnt want some dick spotting you at the gym.you could end up on faces of death 20 or banned from tv 10 or some shit

15. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I am not arguing I have no reason to argue I am simply disagreeing with parts of Goats advice nothing personal at all. Goat has said you should put ice on the dogs head I am saying no you shouldn't. Cynthia had made a statement about being careful with water and she is right because too much water can kill you it's called water toxicity. Having an educational discussion isn't arguing at least not in my book it's not. That's why I love the forums because if everyone had the same opinion or the same way of doing things it would get pretty fucking dull .... Anyway like I said I have no problem with agreeing to disagree.

16. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Great post, hard to argue with that.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

the dog will drink and then you walk it to empty for 30 .if he does'nt want it don't make him drink it . then he gets another 1 hour to walk and can pee any time he wants to . then you work on whatever else you like to do . you have to drink alot to get toxic . do you think the soldiers don't drink all the time during desert training ? and they drink alot . see you work how you were tought and i do the same . but i have done it longer so i seen alittle more . vets and techs are great but they do it by the book. they did it by working and watching . i will put ice in a baggie and put it on the head like i was tought . and you don't keep it there forever . your just trying to cool them down . and i never said for the dog to drink alot . he drinks what he wants and that's it .

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

AGK I just wanted to add I don't think your dog suffered from heat stroke if he did his recovery wouldn't have been so simple meaning bouncing back without medical intervention. I am guessing heat cramps or dehydration when in doubt always consult with a vet I am sure you were puzzled but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

19. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Whats wrong with putting ice on the head and cooling the body down slowly as Old goat stated?That wont send a dog into shock and you def wanna cool the head down asap to prevent any further damage/cell death to the brain.Again whats wrong?or r yall telling me ice on the head will send dog in shock and yall no that not going to happen.Again i dont see where he said to drown the dog.If he already suffering from heat stroke then he aint gon drink shit anyway and its to late for that on the other hand if u see him starting to have trouble the might want to give him a rest in a cool spot and a DRINK

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Never mind ... LOL I have a better idea call your vet and ask them how they treat hyperthermia in the vet office. That should answer your questions about using ice on a dog who is suffering from heat stroke.

Heatstroke occurs when normal body mechanisms cannot keep the body's temperature in a safe range. Animals do not have efficient cooling systems (like humans who sweat) and get overheated easily. A dog with moderate heatstroke (body temperature from 104º to 106ºF) can recover within an hour if given prompt first aid and veterinary care (normal body temperature is 100-102.5°F). Severe heatstroke (body temperature over 106ºF) can be deadly and immediate veterinary assistance is needed.
    Signs

A dog suffering from heatstroke will display several signs:

Rapid panting
    Bright red tongue
    Red or pale gums
    Thick, sticky saliva
    Depression
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Vomiting - sometimes with blood
    Diarrhea
    Shock
    Coma
    What you should do

Remove the dog from the hot area immediately. Prior to taking him to your veterinarian, lower his temperature by wetting him thoroughly with cool water (for very small dogs, use lukewarm water), then increase air movement around him with a fan. CAUTION: Using very cold water can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing his body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions. The rectal temperature should be checked every 5 minutes. Once the body temperature is 103ºF, the cooling measures should be stopped and the dog should be dried thoroughly and covered so he does not continue to lose heat. Even if the dog appears to be recovering, take him to your veterinarian as soon as possible. He should still be examined since he may be dehydrated or have other complications.

Allow free access to water or a children's rehydrating solution if the dog can drink on his own. Do not try to force-feed cold water; the dog may inhale it or choke.

What your veterinarian will do

Your veterinarian will lower your dog's body temperature to a safe range (if you have not already) and continually monitor his temperature. Your dog will be given fluids, and possibly oxygen. He will be monitored for shock, respiratory distress, kidney failure, heart abnormalities, and other complications, and treated accordingly. Blood samples may be taken before and during the treatment. The clotting time of the blood will be monitored, since clotting problems are a common complication.

Aftercare

Dogs with moderate heatstroke often recover without complicating health problems. Severe heatstroke can cause organ damage that might need ongoing care such as a special diet prescribed by your veterinarian. Dogs who suffer from heatstroke once increase their risk for getting it again and steps must be taken to prevent it on hot, humid days.

Prevention

Any pet that cannot cool himself off is at risk for heatstroke. Following these guidelines can help prevent serious problems.

Keep pets with predisposing conditions like heart disease, obesity, older age, or breathing problems cool and in the shade. Even normal activity for these pets can be harmful.
    Provide access to water at all times.
    Do not leave your pet in a hot parked car even if you're in the shade or will only be gone a short time. The temperature inside a parked car can quickly reach up to140 degrees.
    Make sure outside dogs have access to shade.
    On a hot day, restrict exercise and don't take your dog jogging with you. Too much exercise when the weather is very hot can be dangerous.
    Do not muzzle your dog.
    Avoid places like the beach and especially concrete or asphalt areas where heat is reflected and there is no access to shade.
    Wetting down your dog with cool water or allowing him to swim can help maintain a normal body temperature.
    Move your dog to a cool area of the house. Air conditioning is one of the best ways to keep a dog cool, but is not always dependable. To provide a cooler environment, freeze water in soda bottles, or place ice and a small amount of water in several resealable food storage bags, then wrap them in a towel or tube sock. Place them on the floor for the dog to lay on.

Heatstroke (Hyperthermia) in Dogs

As always when in doubt please contact a vet for medical advice ... I have seen how they treat this condition in a medical setting but that's besides the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.