1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heatstoke during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by AGK, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Yes it is commen sense, if you cant bring a dogs temp down from just tap water and fans? whats the next step just wait untill his organs shut down from over heating?LMAO or use ice packs? Bringing the core temp down fast before dogs organs shut down is the main priority. And we are not talking about submerging a dogs entire body in ice cold water, we talking bout putting little ice packs in certain spots moving them around frequently as to not freeze that one area.

Lasting effects of little ice packs as opposed to the effects of a dogs organs shutting down? Which one would yall pick? Lasting effects or dead dog? LMAO

I find it very comical how a vet tech thinks that if its not found in a text book it is wrong LMAO. If Old Goat saved his dog with a ice pack on his head how did you prove him wrong, by what it says in the text book? LMAO

Let me tell yall about the story of a proffesional mountain climber, he was teaching a bunch of ameture mountain climbers , then one of the ameture mountain climbers said your way is wrong , its not in this legit hand book of mountain climbing , and the proffesional just looked at her and said no that book is wrong, and she asked well who are you to say that book is wrong, and he said because I wrote it before I had any real experience LMAO.

Not everything is written is stone ,well except for the 10 commandments LOL.

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

If your not at home, where do you get any water from? LOL If a dog gets sick , in public area , you either bring the dog home or take em to the vet. When I say water hose I mean any water from tap, but majority of the time people will grab the water hose. I will invent a back pack that will have 2 gallons of water in it with a spray nozzle attached to a hose just for you Sadie LMAO.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I heard of some vets that use ice packs and even human doctors that use Ice as well. Are you gonna tell them they are wrong? ,That its not written in the hand book? LMAO.

4. RRL

RRL Top Dog

Who would have thought that you could stop a heart attack by deep freezing a person? Good thing someone thought to try it.I bet Oldgoat would have some medical weed on him probally and could blow some smoke on the dog to calm em down.

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Lol and i thought i was obsessed wit dro! Lol

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Speedo I carry water with me on hot days for the dogs I even carry a spray bottle and powerade zero when I take my dogs out in really hot weather which I try to avoid at all cost when the temps get in the high 90's+

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I was just playing about the water back pack thing but that would be a good idea though LOL. And like I said before main things are WATER and SHADE.

8. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

You should pay the forfeit.....then shut your fucking mouth because shit like this isn't mean't to be a "hypothetical" question on an open forum. Some folks are just flat out stupid.

Hypothetically speakin.

9. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

A ghost buster water bag pack lol just don't add an ice maker to it lmao

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Saiy are you that slow? My info comes from years in the field. Not written text. As well as working with Vets who have been practiceing from grad year 1969 - 2002. So a range of years of experience. Was just on the phone with one and when I brought up this thread she laughed. Lol

Now I posted written text from a consult Book written by wait for it. Veterinarians. Not someone who thinks they know because someone told them. Or they have got lucky.

Ice packs and freezing water, an bringing the temp down to fast. can also cause organ shut down, as well as peripheral vasoconstriction, impede heat dissipation. As well as Creating more heat because they are shivering. Defeating the purpose.

So the moral of the story is do it to fast the dog can die. Do it to slow the dog can die. That is why it is down at a certain rate.

Again common fucking sense. LMAO

But wait some Internet "old timer" said so. So it must be right.

Have a great night Saiy!!! Love ya bunches!

11. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

the reasoning behind not using ice on the head or the back of the neck is the excessive cold temperature on the over heated blood will cause the veins and arteries to constrict...and loss of blood to the brain will make for conditions for a basic stroke...you want the body temperature to be lowered as fast as you can but not to the rate to create other medical conditions such a stroke or shock....that is why it is best to start in the crotch area and cool the blood as it comes and goes in this area....
    and i agree that all vets do not see things the same...and many old vets had different ways...all that is agreed...and putting ice on a dog's head may have worked, but without extensive medical work after wards it is no way to assess the damage...that dog may have lived for five more years....but maybe without the ice on the head he would have lived 7 more....there are just too many variables to make arguments on a forum like this....
    i had one with a heat stroke after about fifty minutes in 85 degree weather....he was fine...drank water....had zero symptoms....after five to ten minutes of after care his eyes glassed over, he got clumsy, fell over, a shook....we got him cool, we got him hooked up to an IV and he made it thru...but he always had symptoms...no coordination...eventually blind in one eye...and never thru a puppy....had an older guy tell me i cooled him down too fast....and it could have been....i washed him down with a garden hose all over....i learned a valuable lesson that day...i researched and found information from reliable sources and the information is just like the information provided with the picture of the heat stroke instructions....US1

12. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Exactly!!!!!

13. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

A older guy told you, you Cooled him down too fast with tap water from a hose in 85 degree weather and you think its the tap water that made him feel ill? LMAO Or maybe you had the fan on too high is why dog had brain damage? LOL, its so funny how you blaming the tap water from the hose and not yourself because you worked ya dog untill he got HEAT stroke LMAO.

The thing is this I aint saying who's way is RIGHT or WRONG, Im saying that either way can POSSIBLY work to save a dog from heat stroke if done carefully and with common sense as both ways HAVE been done before by doctors and both ways have proven to WORK. As for the side effects afterwards its hard to pin point what actually caused it as there are many variables but my blame would actually be on the HEAT and not the tap water from the water hose in 85 degree weather LMAO.

14. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

the lingering damage was prob done cause u didnt stop his brain from cooking fast enough.

15. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Then what are we here for?
    Its a Gamedog forum, you know that a gamedog isn't a checkers champ right?
    It was obviously a decent topic since were on page 7 now.
    It turned out to be a pretty good informational topic.
    You don't have to be doing anything illegal to experience a dog going through heatstroke.

16. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

Hypothetically ya might be a dumbass lol.

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

And hypothetically so could you ;)

18. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

This thread has ran it's course. Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.