1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Chains

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by BMan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BMan

BMan Pup

I am a fairly new A.P.B.T owner and i was wondering would using a heavy chain make my Pit Bull Strong and Muscular? Or should i continue to just let him run around the backyard which is better.

2. WWII

WWII Banned

There are many topics on this. Use the search button. But first, how old is your dog?

3. MPD

MPD Big Dog

No, heavy chains can only lead to back and neck problems. Playing tug o war and letting him run around builds muslce

4. 440rider

440rider Guest

the benefit of the chain is to keep him in the back yard securly...bulldogs are great escape artists...you can continue to let him run around the back yard but triple check that he wont be able to get loose, putting him on a chain is a great way to prevent this!

5. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

i have one dog on a 1/2 inch chain, and another on a 1/4 inch winch cable both are 15ft.

and my dog on the cable is just as cut and built as the one on the chain

6. dogmanduke82

dogmanduke82 Big Dog

But which one has more strength??

7. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

my cable is the exact thing that is on a warn winch i just use the c clip that has the part that screws up and connects it togetther to attach it to the collar

couldnt say the cable is rated at at least 9000 lbs. not sure about a chain you might wnt to ask tab or shon sombody with a bigger yard that deals alot more with set ups

8. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

I agree.A chain isnt meant to be a strengthening device it's meant to keep'em in designated area.Like high voltage said The damage will start to show as he starts to get older.

9. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

It is my opinion that chains are good if you can not afford a good electric fence. My dogs are behind chain link 5' and then two strands of juice place about 12" from the fence. The strands are at about 6" and 36". This has not been breached by any of my dogs as long as I maintain the fence. I do have a few that stay in covered kennels which do not require electricity
    I should also say my dogs are not "gamedogs" and their (gamedogs)quartering may require different methods.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  10. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

a big chain is not good for the dogs neck ppl say it builds the neck mucsle but i think it jsut hurts them.......so if you do want a chain get one that will me light on the dog...and jsut let himi run and pull.

11. CRD

CRD Big Dog

if you're going to use as a yard line, use a moderate size of chain. Not to thick, not to thin.

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I wouldnt suggest using an electric fence at all. I have never used one but I do know people with other breeds who own them and they dont even keep other breeds in the area if they want something. In fact, I've seen their dogs take off running out of the area barely phazed and then be reluctant to come back!

13. Judy

Judy CH Dog

I'd go for a cable instead of a chain. I saw a Husky get through an electric fence once, but there may have been other factors that led to his escaping. I've heard pros and cons from both sides. I prefer a fenced in yard with a cable tieout.

14. coyrobert

coyrobert Big Dog

my husky used to break thru the electric without it bothering her for a cat and the doberman chow mix , it really didnt bother him, and pits are more bull headed i wouldnt use one

15. idgie

idgie Big Dog

i have no problem containing my hounds and chow/shepherd mix with electric livestock fencing surrounding an acre. my pit bull will go right through it however, especially if there is a dog on the other side.

i think gadog was talking about a hotwire reinforcing a kennel, but i'm not sure.

16. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

Ditto.....

17. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

lets put it this way, would you like a huge heavy chain holdin you down all the time? i think not. if you use a chain use a strong chain but not heavy, get my drift? heavy chains make heavy problems in the long run.

18. BMan

BMan Pup

Thanks everyone for the advice please continue to post it and i will read it and use it I too find that playing tug of war and walks are more funner for him than a heavy chain. I have a 6 ft wooden fence so he shouldnt be able to escape.

19. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

DO NOT rely on a 6 ft. fence to keep a bulldog in. I had one that would scale a 6 ft. fence just for kicks, coming and going as he pleased if I'd let him.

20. My pit scale the 6 ft. fence now just to get out to meet us at the door when we get home. So dont rely on the fence....lol