1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hedgehog invasion

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pejay, May 12, 2010.

1. pejay

pejay Big Dog

Ok folks, please don't laugh at me. Some people have problems with mice on their yards, some people have problems with rats on their yards. I have problems with hedgehogs :( My yard is fenced with only few small gaps under the gates. Cats can't get in there but hedgehogs (even big ones) manage to get in there. My dogs are on chains and as a result they meet together, often. This ends up with a mess, thankfully only in the evenings so far, when I am at home and not sleeping. So I hear the noise and manage to get there before any irreparable damage is done. Though last night I've found some blood on the hedgie and dog's muzzle. The dog almost managed to unroll the hedgie so it was lucky that I got there just in time! Didn't find any big wounds on any of them though and hedgie was let free away from my property. But this annoys me. Not only my dogs damage their muzzles without a reason, I also worry for the hedgies. I like them and don't want any of them to be killed by my dogs! And this types of accidents happen often! So my question is, have any of you any experience in keeping hedgehogs away from your yards?
    Picture below is one of the hedgies rescued from one of my dogs...
    [​IMG]

2. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i would start by sealing all the gaps in your fence:D

3. pejay

pejay Big Dog

Sealing fence made of corrugated metal sheets?? :D No gaps in the fence, one gap only under gate for the car! And that gate needs to open sometimes. But those little monsters manage to squeeze through that small gap...

4. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Never had a hedgehog problem, I don't think i've ever seen one in person lol. Maybe you can set some traps? I hear they like cat food and mealworms. I'd probably keep one as a pet :D