1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

hello everyone I need your help.lol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Octavio_.N.J., May 9, 2009.

1. Octavio_.N.J.

Octavio_.N.J. Big Dog

my dogs starting to EAT grass they look like horses why is this thanx for your help.

2. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

So He Can Shit ! Lol

3. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Usually, to relieve an upset stomach. They will often throw up after eating grass.

4. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

My boy does this every spring. Just starts grazing on the grass as we walk along the road. Doesn't throw up. Although sometimes they will do it to throw up. I just think he's happy its spring. lol

5. haha.. my dogs are eating the hell out of it here lately. these rainy spring days and all that fresh green grass....yumm!!! i'm just glad winter's over and so are the dogs. some dogs will eat grass if their not digesting properly. i've often heard of folks feeding them extra greens with their meal but i just let them do their thing with the grass. i feed good food, so i don't worry much about it.

6. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

I've been told, and subsequently confirmed with my own dogs, that the more I just let them eat it, the less likely they are to throw it up. They seem more likely to vomit if they aren't used to eating it regularly or if they eat an abnormally large amount at one time. It may satisfy a need for fiber. I'm always careful not to let them eat any that may have had chemical treatment. I always stop them if they try to eat grass off the golf course that we walk through.

7. pitbullcliff

pitbullcliff Banned

My 2 dogs have eaten grass like a couple cows for years. I think it is just something they like to do. My dogs don't throw it up afterwards.

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Do you think maybe they are missing the greens in their diet?
    There is a lot of info on the web. just pick the answer that best suits your dog.

There actually appears to be two types of grass eating behavior in dogs. Some dogs take a few nibbles, while others eat quickly, barely chewing the grass. Unchewed grass often translates to near instant vomiting. Dogs that are careful grazers, on the other hand, may not get sick from grass.
    The latter case suggests that some dogs eat grass because they enjoy it. Most dogs don’t need it to supplement their diets, but because dog diets are primarily made up of herbivores, that grassy taste may be reminiscent of the cattle or lamb product they had for dinner. Some dogs also enjoy green vegetables like broccoli.
    If your dogs eat grass on a regular basis, this could suggest dietary imbalance, though many vets might dismiss it. You may want to consider giving the dogs some green vegetables if they appear to want “something green.” Cooking the vegetables first may make them more digestible, resulting in less vomiting.

And Another:

Dogs commonly eat grass, and there are several explanations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild canids (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet. Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.
    The third reason - they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. We know a beagle who can pick raspberries faster than his owner.
    In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009
  9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Our dogs are grazers too. And they seem to seek out certain plants. There is a weed looking plant that they look for to eat. I wish I knew the name of it. I would probably plant a patch of it just for them.

10. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

all my dog love grass i think they need it

11. Octavio_.N.J.

Octavio_.N.J. Big Dog

:Dthankssss everyone

12. Marty

Marty Guest

Nothing to worry about, Lilbit eats grass every time I take her out ;)