1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help needed urgently

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by rajennn, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

doesnt sound good man, sounds like a dog for an experienced handler or a dog for a grave. When that dogs gets bigger its realy gonna hurt someone and be fuel for humaniacs
    I KNOW, CALL THE DOG WHISPERER!!!!

2. simms

simms CH Dog

What area are you in?

3. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Once again the NILF would be the way to go to address the food issue, but first and foremost the aggression and the dog attacking you must be corrected. Please seek Pro help!!!

4. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

thanks atexan can you provide me with a link about this nilf method

5. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Credit Simms for that, Im sure he will post one for you he is real helpful from my observations. I am advocating properly controling and stopping the dog if he should ever even growl at you Again much less try to bite. Can you handle the Shakedown I described earlier?

NILF you basically make the dog earn everything only giving and rewarding when the behavior you desire is observed.

6. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

7. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Ok we are giving the same advice NILIF (working for the food) but I am clueless. Ok.

8. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

I was replying to his request for a link. Now I have tried to help and led astray. I reiterate correcting the biting and aggression first and foremost. Seek Pro Help!!!!

9. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

I think we agree on all points ATEXAN. A behaviorist would definitely help, they will tell him the same thing though, don't beat the crap out of a puppy and expect them to mind you, after that they can give him training tips and probably would all recommend the NILIF method. Your shakedown method and my correction of the scruff shake are pretty much the same. Not all new owners know how to do this properly.

What started off was the OP saying his dog was resource guarding but turned out to be my dog is aggressive and attacking when I am near food which are not the same at all. I was not the first person to suggest PTS and I DO believe at 7 months a pup can begin to show signs of serious instability but I will go by my initial post of work with the dog and not against it.

10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im gonna be a dickhead here i guess, but ive never understood this trainer/behaviorist BS. you know your dog, not him/her. yes they may have an understanding of dog psychology, but i dont think it always applies to a "pitbull". the best advice i can give is to make sure to keep your nephews/other kids away until this situation is resolved. in my experience, and i can only speak from what ive done, but dogs that are food aggressive can very well be toy aggressive. you know, "whats mine is mine" mentality. i wish you luck, but dont let this turn out bad, whatever you do. it sounds like youre a bit over your head, but i only know what you've posted and have never seen the behavior first hand. i guess im lucky, by 7 months i have had a dog taught where he/she belonged in the household, and the ones that didnt, were introduced to my Glock. maybe im hardcore in somes eyes, but my baby girls come first, dogs second. it sucks, but it had to be done. again good luck, and keep us posted, there are some real knowledgable folk here.

11. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

I agree Lee D, I think the only reason a person with dog experience needs to go to a trainer or behaviorist is sometimes they are too close to the problem and could use an outside perspective. Still people don't like to hear that their dog needs a dirt nap OR they are incapable of handling it so it's a nice thing to tell them to do. And yes it does sometimes help.

More information and details would definitely help.

12. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Magdelana, I read one of your posts and rushed to judge you, my fault; I apologize.
    So overall we agree.
    Lee I agree with you also. To clarify when I say Pro I dont mean someone you pay or the lady at Petsmart I meant a knowledgeable dogman one that knows this breed. My fault for not being more clear.

13. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Np, and thanks I was confused too. :)

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i agree ATEXAN, a "pro" in somes eyes is no more than a overpaid moron.

15. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Well when I say behaviorist I mean someone who has their CAAB (a PhD- 6-8 years of college- in animal behavior). Not that (as with any Dr.) that always means squat. I agree that getting a bully breed 'expert' (and I'll be the first to trust someone who's worked with the breed for years vs a lounge chair Dr) is a good idea but honestly resource guarding and aggression aren't breed specific.

My first worry in this case without additional info would be as someone said a full frontal attack and correcting it and getting the dog to respect (respect not fear) the owner, my second would be watching out for children who may come in contact with the dog while it is guarding it's 'stuff' and my third would be addressing the actual food issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  16. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I say try some oif the things on here and keep us posted.

17. 805tony

805tony Big Dog

Don't ever be afraid of your dogs they can sense that shit he already knows he's boss cause he keeps doing it after you've disiplined him it dont matter to the dog if he get his ass beat he still does not respect you as boss. I put my hands on our pups and in their bowls when their eating all the time this goes a long way in all other areas of developing a stable dog. When there adults I keep it short just a few pats on the dog when I set the food down cause the respect is already established. Good luck

18. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

how would you say you beat him? like slap him around like you should a pup or beat the fuck outta him like you would a grown ass man? If you still treating him like a pup when he's obviously entered your man space and put himself in a mans position then clinch your fist and treat him like an adult...im not for beating animals but i had a 8 month old pup try and bite me ONCE and i went MMA on his ass and he's never done it again..the safer solution would be a bullet but if you wanna try one more time then dont play any bullshit games...put him on his back if he fights back then get more aggressive...he's a pup so he should fight like a pup alotta growling and cur snappin...show him you mean business chances are he'll cur out but you gotta be meaner and more aggressive then him for you to win and be dominate:cool:

19. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

i agree with 805tony,don't ever be afraid of ur dog,show them who's boss of ur yard and if u can't,then i suggest u get rid of them:D

20. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Next time it growls at you, you are going to need to show it who is alpha. Kick it everywhere---STOMP ON IT, take out your belt. Beat it everywhere. Till its curled and running/pinned in a corner. Then you tell it to sit and stay. Then you hand feed it. If it growls , repeat... So it knows that growling at you =getting ass beat.

And when it doesnt growl, you praise it and give it a treat.(piece of cheese or piece of meat)

And then when it learns to not growl from hand feed. Then put the food in a bowl. Have it sit/stay for 10 minutes with the food in front of your dog. Then say good boy and let it eat. And put your hand in the bowl.. If it growls or anything, beat the crap out of it. dont hold back, these dogs have high pain tolerance... you are going to need to have it squealing/crying.. Show it dominance. You have nothing to lose.

these dogs are tough animals.. So a little "slap/tap" on the butt is not going to teach it who is boss... you are going to need to beat the fucking shit out of it to teach it a lesson. and also use your hand to hit a wall and use a loud voice as lee d said to scare it. scare it good..

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.