1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Sap on Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Tiara, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

Just got a call from a club member whose dog spent the day rubbing the sap off a tree. He wants to show him in our show this weekend. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the sap?

2. Attila

Attila Guest

What kind of sap? use a brush and olive oil then shampoo. If it is pine sap you may be SOL. But some will come out and the rest will have to wear off. Pine sap is what is cooked and used to brush on old fishing vessels. Asa can tell you about getting that crap off. It waterproofs a boat for more than a year. One thing about it it kills germs and bacteria. Maybe some one knows how to get it off faster but all I know to do is use a srub brush and olive oil then comb it out and shampoo. You will need to keep that dog with a light coat of oil. It will make it shiny and sheen but if you don't it the sticky residue will collect dirt and it wont brush out.

3. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

That is a good tip on the olive oil...thanks....I'll remember that.

4. It's funny that you asked about pine sap. My baby gets sap on him all the time, because we go to our camp every weekend up in the Adirondacks. The only thing I ever heard of was alcohol, but for obvious reasons didn't want to use that. I just read Attila Magyar's post and literally just tried the olive oil tip and IT WORKS GREAT!!

THANK YOU Attila Magyar!!!!!

5. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

wow olive oil huh, thanks attila i gotta give that a try my dog lays against a big pine tree so as u can imagine he's got sap all over.

6. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Try anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, such as Germ-X or Aloft. I work at a paper mill weighing trucks in & out. Sometimes we have to do hand-on inspections of the raw material (cut pine trees) & sap will get on our hands or clothes. The drivers like to use rubbing alcohol to remove sap, but I've found anti-bacterial hand sanitizer works just as well. Alcohol is the main ingredient, so it will remove sap from both your hands & your clothes just as well as alcohol does. But unlike plain alcohol it does not dry out the skin & unlike olive oil it will not stain clothing. Plus it smells good. ;)

7. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

thanks ABK ill have to give it a try

8. Attila

Attila Guest

? I didn't want them to put the olive oil on their cloths. Thought we were talking about fur. I can see where the peanut butter will work because the oil is very similar in chemical makeup as olive oil. I will have to try the anti bacterial soap some time. Sounds good but how does it work on fur? please don't oil your cloths.

9. Suki

Suki Guest

I was just going to say this.

I have a lot of pine trees on my property. Peanut butter works well on all my animals, and, if yah get it on your own hands.

10. Attila

Attila Guest

and ok if you get it on your own hands? then what?[​IMG]

11. Suki

Suki Guest

you put a glob on and rub your hands together, til all the sap is absorbed?/gone!
    works like a charm.

12. pitpal

pitpal Pup

i agree peanut butter does the trick