1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Raw

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ohpitbulls, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

I own a 16month old apbt, she is 30lbs hog fat lol. I want to start her on raw but I cant seem to figure out a proper 7 day diet for her. If you could help me design a proper diet it would help my dog an I out alot . PM me is you dont want to post on board.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

RAW diets can be as varied as bag food also...this is what I do...it is cheaper than most any bag food and it has worked for me for quite some time....it is not the perect diet (if there is one) but it is very close, very economical and of the RAW diets it is not as difficult/time consuming to prepare....
    1 leg quarter
    cup of brown rice (twice cooked so it splits)
    heaping spoon of greens/turnips/collards,etc,etc,
    heaping spoon of yogurt
    heaping spoon of lard
    2 soft boiled eggs
    1/2 multivitamin every other day...
    i feed this most every day...some days i skip the mixture and feed a couple of leg quarters....i use leg quarters/chicken necks/chicken backs....
    i know some who use a lot of organ meat...i will also if it is on a killer sale or reduced for quick sale but i do not make it a point to ensure it is fed on a regular basis...i adjust the amount of rice for each dog and a little more during the colder months...not a lot of nutritional value but it is an excellent filler....
    i like the raw diet because it is better and cheaper...the dogs dump less often and it is an easier clean-up....the water consumption is less and that helps when coming off water when working very hard....and water intake is less of an issue when it is very hot or very cold as the mositure content of a raw diet is much higher than its bag counterpart...

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

and...not hawkiing anyone's products for them but I just got Ca. Jack's Pit Bull Bible....but is a nice read....and a lot of the stuff i already knew but the most helpful tip i got from it so far and it was way simple is this....buy a juicer....send your fruits and/or veggies thru it....you drink the juice and feed the pulp to the dogs...it is healthy for you and the dogs...and it is like getting twice the value from the same set of vegetables....you get a very healthy drink and you get to feed some good stuff to your dog for basically free.....i have run stuff thru the blender to feed the dogs but never thought about the juicer....it saves some cash and we both benefit....US1

4. Christy

Christy Big Dog

The internet is full of information good and bad on feeding RAW. What I have learned is all dogs have "basic" nutrition requirements and then on the other hand all dogs are different in how they process some of these items. For example, some people will feed mackerel from time to time but I learned the hard way that if Nikki eats it she will gain a pound or two and retain water so no mackerel for her during show season.

Ohpitbulls, gave a wonderful example of a simple RAW diet and he is right it is a lot cheaper and less mess. More prep time but there are ways around that also. Then you have to know what you are wanting to achieve with the RAW diet. Do you want to maintain, trim off a few pound or put on a few pounds?

I suggest for anyone starting out to write everything down. Write everything your feeding, feeding time and the condition of the dog during the process. This will let you know how to tweek to get the desired results you are after. But the main thing to keep in mind is balance, finding the right balance of fat, protein and carbs that work for you dog and do not forget activity level, the more the dog works the more protein and possible fat it will need...

My suggestions for easier prep time is as followed....
    Go to the Dollar store and buy the biggest canning or stock pot you can find, this will allow you to make large quantities of the "base" carb mixture. Invest in some measuring cups and a scale.

I buy large bags of brown rice, look for chicken on sale I love to get buy one get one free bags of leg quarters. I put one bag in the large pot and cook the piss out of it :D remove all chicken strain the stock to make sure there are no little bones, measure the stock and put it back in the pot with the proper amount of rice for the stock I have on hand. De-done the cooked chicken everything goes back in the pot but the cooked bone.

Once the rice is done...
    Then I add can greens, yogurt, sweet potatoes, blue berries, pumpkin, greenbeans and any other thing I may want to add. I use a 1/2 cup measuring scoop and place the mixture into freezer bags. I personally feed 1lb of RAW meat so I weigh all meat and place in freezer bags. I keep a bread pan in the bottom of my freg to thaw all meat on. Feed one and take the next days out place on pan to thaw.

Look for sales, always check your discounted meat section, after the Holidays are great times to buy pumpkin, I stock up every year after Thanksgiving, pumpkin is also good for upset bellies. I try to feed 5ozs of organ meat at least three days a week, look for sales on chicken liver, hearts and even beef brain. Call around to your local stores ask the meat department if they can order you larger amounts at a discounted price. I was surprised to learn if I ordered 50lbs of leg quarters or thighs I could get them at almost 1/2 off.....

Okay, I have rambled enough:D

5. Sounds good, but its called "raw" for a reason. There's no need to cook the chicken, you are boiling all the nutrition out of the chicken.

6. Christy

Christy Big Dog

I do feed RAW...I just use the cooked chicken to add extra fat and protein to my base. I like using that better then just plan water to cook my rice in and it always comes in handy if I have young pup with an upset belly:D

I have also used veg stock to cook my rice in....

7. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

How does this sound 1lbs leg quarter mixxed with 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1/8 cup of yogurt 1/4 cup of mixed greens 1/8 cup of lard 2 sof boiled eggs an 1/2 a muti- v ? When should i add the organ meet, how much organ meat is ideal an what is the best organs to use ?

8. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

ohio - i don't know which side of the nasty of live in, but if you go up to centerville there is a GFS (Gordon Food Service) Foodstore behind the dayton mall off 725. i think they still sell 4 gallon buckets of boiled eggs already shelled, relatively cheap in the store. and they keep for nearly an eternity (a bucket lasts us about a month at work, but i've never had them sit on the shelf longer than that). i'd google the store and call and ask if they have them there in stock.

9. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

im in Dayton atleast ones a month ill check into that. Thanks

10. Christy

Christy Big Dog

Most say 10% of their diet should be organ meat.

11. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

instead of feeding chicken everyday would it be ok to feed gound beef two times a week ?

12. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Yes it would...also don't forget whole frozen fish. Check PM

YIS

13. I feed my own mixture i get beef lungs kindney liver ect muscle meat and pig necks spend bout 3 hours chopping it up all up and bag in freezer bags and get fish heads salmon cod anything really and bag them all once a month and just have to take out a bag each night very handy but i starve once sometimes twice a week also chicken when i can get whole chickens cheap mix and match so they dont get bored of it always freeze salmon at least 24hrs to kill any parasites . http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

14. deebo780

deebo780 Big Dog

im buying premade raw food.... comes with organs, muscles and bones all crushed up.... it costs me about 80$ for 32 lbs of it... im trying to find a cheap butcher to grind bones for me so i can start making it on my own

15. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

I've been feeding raw for years,and this is what I do. 4 times a week they'll get a chicken leg quarter the other 3 days they might get a turkey leg or beef cubes.Once in awhile I'll feed fish or pork.Now with the meat I'll mix in a spoonfull of cottage cheese, an egg..shell included (2-3 times a week),a couple peices of chicken livers,hearts and gizzards(3 times a week) a couple pieces of carrots and once in awhile some greens. I feed beef liver at least once a week.I also feed beef kidney and whatever other organ meats I can get.Green Tripe is also another good thing to feed,if you can get past the smell.I go to the butcher and get fat scraps and add some to the feed.You can get it for next to nothing. I dont really measure anything cause I been feeding raw for quite sometime and just eye ball it. Havent had any problems feeding raw.

16. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

If I feed bonless meat what can I use as a supplement to make up for the bone ?

17. Christy

Christy Big Dog

Why would you want to feed boneless meat?

18. And only 1/2 of that 10% should be comprised of liver, don't make the mistake many people do and feed ONLY liver for your organ meat.

19. Double post sorry!

20. Why would you feed boneless meat? You are taking a complete diet and making it nutritionally unsound by removing the meaty bones. If you need to add a supplement due to removing something, it is a sign that what you removed is a needed part of the diet. Raw meaty bones are an important part of the whole raw diet package - regardless of if you feed prey model like I prefer or BARF model.