1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Raw

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ohpitbulls, Jan 10, 2011.

1. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Why cook the rice twice??

2. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

cool .......

3. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

What is a 'leg quarter' :confused:

4. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Are u serious???!!!!!

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

cooking the rice twice allows it to split....cook it..let it cool and boil it again...there is not a lot of nutritional value but when split it stays with the dog to be difested a little longer...if you feed straight cooked rice occassionally you will see a few grains in the stool....over cooking it somewhat stops this from happening...the rice is pretty much used as a filler....so if it splits and stays with the dog it serves its purpose better...US1

6. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

Yea to me its a must to dobble cook the rice.

7. slim12

2% is just a figure to get you in the ball park...i have dogs that are not that naturally active and could get away with 1%-1.5%...and i have other that need 3% or more....the dogs are individuals and all can be different...the diet i posted up there is just a general guideline...some of my dogs get that plus a leg quarter or an extra back or two...depends on the dog....i feed once a day unless we are working hard then the one meal is a meal and the other is a smaller "meal" used to get supplements.additives in....i space those out about 12 hours....

8. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Do the dogs have problem eating the lard??

9. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

you are kidding aint ya cbones?

10. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Hell no I'm dead serious!!....Im new to this raw thing!!...that's why I'm asking!!

11. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Hellooooo!!!....can I get a Lil insight on the lard please!!

12. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

I would help you but its all new to me also lol . @ Crush

13. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I prefer whole carcass :D

[​IMG]

14. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

no.................

15. slim12

the lard is animal fat...they have no problem eating it...it also serves as a good way to get the multivitamin in them...i have one dog that will eat around a pill no matter how it is disguised so it helps with him...good luck....US1

16. I also prefer as much whole prey items as possible CrazyK9. No need to worry about ratios for organs and muscles and bones or anything like that either because nature has is all planned out for ya.

You can give much more than just chicken folks, remember that.

Crazy - do you buy or just farm your own rabbits for the dogs?

17. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

crushbones I've never had any trouble with lard. During the winter sometimes I'll put a glob on a slice of bread kinda as an xtra treat. The closest thing to a problem would be trying to get them to calm down and take it without taking my hand with it. lol They eat it about like peanut butter.

ohpitts, on the leg 1/4s get a set of scales and a good meat cleaver. For me its easier for the chicken to be almost frozen and chop some of them into 2 -3 pieces. Chop a few into smaller pieces so that when you go to weigh out 8 oz's or whatever portion you're feeding, you can use them to get closer to the x-act weight. You dont have to be x-act on measurements but if ya got one on a keep its easier to get more precise. If the chicken is thawed it gets slick,slimey and harder for me to hold onto to chop up. After you do it awhile you'll get the hang of it and can almost eyeball it on how big of pieces to chop them into. The main thing that worried me was that they dropped weight quick. I thought they weren't getting enough food. It was body fat they were losing. Underneath they were toned up decent. lol Just do it. lol You'll catch on. Just keep an eye on them and wait a few days/week before making adjustments so you have time to see whats going on. Each dog is different though.

18. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Im looking foward to trying this .
    I'm going to start with Ellie an if all goes well I'll switch the whole yard to RAW.

19. You can feed anything on this page: Raw Feeding Recipes | Raw Fed Dogs

(It says "recipes" but its really whole prey parts and photos of each item.)

I had a pit bull who used to love getting deer legs during hunting season. Give him a whole leg he would eat it bones and all, no left overs.

20. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Exactly. Takes the guess work out.

I want to start raising rabbits for feed but for right now I'm researching and sticking with buying. I get these monsters from rodentpro. This is an XXXL (10lbs) and it lasts my one dog a long time. It's probably been in and out of the freezer 5 times now lol.