1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help with tapeworms

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by viegas703, Apr 1, 2010.

1. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

My 5 month old has been struggling with tapeworms. I've been worming him regularly but it isn't working,guess it aint effective on tapes. He's been having runny stool and some bad gas. I know I should take him to the vet but they always try to ass rape you with excessive charges. Is there anything I can buy to get rid of them or is the vet only option. Thanks in advance!

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

you need wormer spec for tape worms avoid the powder stuff i use tape care plus.use 3-4 days in a row.

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

drontal tablets or droncit will get rid of tapes. and tapeworms come from the dog eating fleas. so make sure u don't have a flea problem as well. if u dont get rid of the fleas, the tapeworms will keep coming back. what kind of de-wormer did you use? also, tapes don't always cause runny stool. coccidia (which regular de-wormers don't kill) and other worms can cause runny stool, along with dietary indiscretion.

5. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

also, most de-wormers that say they kill tapeworms only kill the Taenia or similar species, which is not the kind that your pet gets (unless it eats wild rabbits all the time). dogs usually get the species Dipylidium Caninum which is caused from eating fleas. the only readily available dewormer that will kill this species that i know of is Droncit or Drontal, which contains praziquantal. De-wormers that contain pyrantal, fenbendazole, etc do NOT kill the common canine tapeworm Dipylidium Caninum.

If you want to know more about canine tapeworms and how to get rid of them here is a link for you:
    Tapeworm

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

fish tapes, check em out!

7. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

The runny stool and stinky gas sounds more like coccidia or giardia. Not tapes.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i just found some "drontal plus canine 0-25 lbs." in my medicine cabinette. must have been for my g-mas dogs. i gave both my dogs (50-70 lbs.) each 2 1/2 tablets.

should that take care of the tapes (if they got them?)

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yes it should take care of them along with roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms

you may want to repeat the dose in a week to ensure complete removal, if you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

nah i ran out lol, maybe my friend can get me some she works for a vet.

11. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

When I lived in Tx and kept a bunch of dogs myself and the people I hung with used Strongit (a horse dewormer ) a half turn on the applicator ring for pups and a full turn
    for adult dogs and we never had worms

12. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

if you feel you are being overcharged- find a new vet.
    no matter what, your worming is only half done without a fecal slide. otherwise you are assuming that your dogs are worm free.
    you dont even need to bring the dog in, just a sample

13. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Ive taken my dog to the vet twice so far since ive taken him in. combining both charges, it came out to be roughly $550. Hes got all his shots taken care of and i take him in to get dewormer for the tapes. Thats it for me, im tired of the vet, you go for about 20 minutes and leave 300 dollars poorer.

14. simms

simms CH Dog

That's it for you eh...LOL you better get you some education. These folks do 8 yrs of college and you folks talk down on them like they are crooks, they are doing you wrong as the consumer, what a joke! You want county hospital bennefits than take your animals to the county shelter and see what type of medicine you get.

15. simms

simms CH Dog

you need to follow the life cycle of the parasite that you are trying to remove from the animal with a concise treatment plan, schedule...otherwise it is a waisted effort and one ends up medicating, treating with a failed result.

Waisted time and funds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  16. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

please read my thread "the low-down on worms". it will answer all your questions.

Strongid does not kill the common canine tapeworm, btw.

and if your vet is charging you $300 per puppy visit, then you need to find a different vet. $300 is outrageous.

17. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

its just ridiculous, $45 office visit alone.

18. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

So your gonna sit here and tell me, a 20 minute office visit for $300 isnt outrageous? your kidding me right. part of the 20 minute visit is waiting for the vet to come in the room.

19. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

veigas , find a better vet if your not happy with the charges. its that simple, you got the dog you have to put up with the costs owning a dog brings.
    im just about to go through finding a new one myself and im not looking forward to it.
    but if you cant fix the dog nor afford to get it fixed you shouldnt have it in the first place.
    one dog costs me up to $3000 Aus a year for all costs, premium foods, shots, random medicine, and upkeep.
    and dont stress much once you find a good one you stick with them.

personally i couldnt care less if they do eight years at uni, it doesnt give them the right to charge huge amounts for minimal work when the other one two suburbs over is half the price and twice the personality!

20. simms

simms CH Dog

Apparently you don't know the anual cost it takes to run a practice. I make a decent living and in a competetive market. My boss also pay's 80% of my health insurance, infact that goes for all 30 of his employee's. I work hard! I deserve every bit of it!