1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

History on Ear Cropping

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mfern004, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Cropping of ears is just for looks , noting to do with dog fighting at all

2. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Most match dogs of past had natural ears , more than 70%

3. They look like rabbit ears to me 7C977A68-DE03-4CA8-A357-0E08D0E9CCFF.jpeg

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I'm sure they do to a lot of other people too. However, the term for them ears is full prick, more commonly known as bat ears. People can call it what ever they want but they do a have proper name still. :-B

5. Thank you I am one for facts! Much appreciated

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I hear people say that all the time. In our neck of the woods as far back as I can remember (late 70's as a kid) pretty much all the dogs had cropped ears.

The yard I was first introduced to had as 10-12-14 dogs and they all had cropped ears. It was almost a Saturday morning ritual for someone to show up with a litter of puppies to get them trimmed.

I can't account for all the dogs to say a percentage but it sure feels like it was 70% the other way. LOL

S

7. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

It never made any sense to me when people say that cropped ears are a dog fighting thing. I'd rather one got mine by the ear than a more vital area. Never made any sense to me when people said cropping benefits the dog in any way in the box. What purpose would it be used for in the world of matching dogs other than having to deal with a torn ear which isnt all that hard to deal with.....?

Short of cosmetic, I see nothing special about a dog who's ears are cropped. Just ones personal preference is all. You'll have to be explaining to every humaniac you run into about why you butchered your dogs ears as they like to say.
    I don't know what the percentage is but I almost never see a dog with it's ears done. My entire 25 plus years in these dogs I've maybe personally seen 5 tops, other than online. Must be more of a southern thing or something because I never see it up north.

I actually prefer the look of a good crop job on a dog but have only cropped 1 dogs ears that I've owned and it was 20+ years ago. They won't battle crop them here so they end up looking like Fat headed short and squatty Dobermans. Lol

ben brockton and Dusty Road like this.
  8. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

I agree 100% , but you only have to look through old magazines , the majority of dogs have normal ears as do most of the famous dogs , it 100% a cosmic thing

david63 likes this.
  9. slim12

It could have been geographical but not completely sure.

Some of my first dogs were down out of Molly Bee/Red Lady/Caesar/Snooty/Lil Caesar.

Everything around here was cropped.

I too, never seen it as an advantage nor disadvantage and it was basically a cosmetic procedure to make a 'pit bull'. In my 20's I really didn't see the point and it had nothing to do with performance or cosmetics, it was much simpler. The frikkin' puppies hated me because I was the bastard that made his ears hurt a couple three times per day. The view was never really worth the climb.

S

10. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Had a bandog with a battle crop years ago. He already had a generally ill disposition. The ears just made his looks match.

I wouldn't crop a bulldog but if I had a another bandog chances are they'd get a haircut

11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

You spend enough time with the dogs at some point towards the beginning something is getting cropped. Then you realize how stupid it is and look back and laugh.

AGK and Dusty Road like this.
  12. slim12

So much so it almost couldn't be a bulldog with ears.
    And like you said, at some point, you look back and laugh.

Times change.

S

AGK likes this.
  13. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Screenshot_20230531-221918.png Ch.Ginger

david63, CockneyRebel123, AGK and 2 others like this.
  14. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

F.W.K. likes this.
  15. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

F.W.K. likes this.
  16. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

IMG_20230620_113904687.jpg

tomjones2 and Ssdd like this.
  17. I think his ears would have looked better natural, would have given him a fuller head.

18. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

david63 and tomjones2 like this.
  19. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Another good one with cropped ears Mr Nobody 's Ch Rocky Screenshot_20230620-143855.png

david63 and CockneyRebel123 like this.
  20. Aye, very true.