1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hot-Hot-Hot!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by twiztidpitz, Jun 12, 2006.

1. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

I was just want to remind everyone to keep an eye out on the dogs outside. Its getting really hot and humid, so make sure that the dogs have shade and fresh water.
    We about lost Sassy today. She was having a heat stroke when I was making the rounds (which I do about 4 times a day). She was breathing very heavy, wouldn't move, her back legs were stiff as a board like she was having a huge cramp. I put a fan on her, gave her water slowly, and messaged her legs. It took about 30 minutes of messaging to get her walking. She's alright now, I'm keeping a close eye on her to make sure she's ok.
    You want to talk about scared to death! I'm glad I studied to be a vet tech! She is only 9 months old, thats to soon for me, and she's a great show dog too!!

2. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

Man, I'm sure glad you saw her when you did. That would have been a terrible way to loose a pup.

3. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Talk about hot, I live in Phoenix, Az, and we are already in the triple digits, both my dogs neo mastiff and apbt are outside dogs , being in Az I have to be prepared they share a huge cooler , it keeps the water cool all day long, I wouldnt have to refill it , if my neo wouldnt leave her slober all over the place lol, luckily I have pretty big trees with plenty of shade, plus the laundry room which is located in the backyard has a portable swamp cooler, thats running from sunrise to sun down, i might get one of those heavy duty plastic pools ,so they could fresh themselfs up when needed .

4. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

twiztid im glad to hear your dog was aight. Good reminder for some people.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

very good post and glad you saved your dog. You may wan't to keep her inside a few days. Don't forget to up the electrolytes this time of year.

6. Suki

Suki Guest

Amen!

Thanks for that reminder, and very glad to hear all turned out well.[​IMG]

7. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I heard that cooling them down with water (putting water on them) is not a good thing,,don't know if I read that here or somewhere else,,is that true?

8. semo

semo Top Dog

twiztidpitz, why did the dog have a heat stroke? Tell us more , did you leave it in an unshaded area or let it run out of water or what happened exactly ?

thanks

9. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

10. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Submersing the dog in water is very beneficial as long as its not ice water. You need to take the temperature down SLOWLY. Faucet water is fine, just keep the temps reasonable.

12. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

She is in the shade 3/4 of the day. She is a dark chocolate (the darkest dog on our yard now) and likes to lay out in the sun for some reason, goofy dog!! She had plenty of water, shade and everything. I think that she just got to hot, she is still a pup.

I knew to cool her down with cool water, and I had a fan blowing on her. Thats where the Vet Tech. traning came in handy. She is excellent now!! Acting normal as usual! I'm still keeping a close eye on her to make sure it dosn't happen agian. All my dogs get Gatorade or Pedialyte mixed in their fresh water daily. They all love it.
    I have people look at me wierd at shows to for giving them water/gatorade mix. I tell them that I want to keep their electrolytes up since they are panting so much and losing alot of fluids out in the ring.

13. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

No its false. Putting water on a dog is a good thing just as long as its water tempeture from the faucet and not ice cold water. In the heat of summer the best way to keep the dogs cool is just get a automatic water timer and a sprinkler that simple if your dogs are outdoor dogs.