1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How can you tell how big the dog will be?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by StopAnimalAbuse, Jul 9, 2004.

1. My pit is 5mos old and she weighs 40lbs.? is this big for her? I was told at the shelter she will be around 50lbs. when she is adult? I think she might get a bit bigger. She weighed 32lbs at 4mos and 24lbs. at 2-1/2 mos. She is not fat at all the vet said she looks great. I just don't know how big she will be. ? someone said that my dog is growing too fast and that is not good. ?? I did not know what to say to that because it sounded pretty rediculous to assume that I have some sort of control of how she grows> hmmmm, just wondering about my pup's eventual size... thanks.:eek:

2. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

All the my dogs have pretty much stoped growing by the time they was 6 months old. Some grew some past that but it wasnt much. Going by that and what you have said so far I would say that yours will get around 50 lbs. One way I check to see if there going to grow anymore is by taking there tale and holding it to the back of there leg, the tip of the tail should reach the knee joint or be with in a 1/2 inch. If it is then she wont grow any more and if she does it will be more weight than height.

3. Thanks, I did that and her tale is not quite at the joint yet, 50lbs sounds like that is where she will be... Thanks very much for the tip. I am happy too, I thought she was going to be a monster at over 100lbs the way she was growing. LOL

4. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Dogs don't reach full growth until 2yrs or so, they will continue to widen and get fully mature, at 5mos old and 40lbs...I'd expect that dog to be well over 50lbs.

BB

5. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

Yeah sorry I should have put that in there. They will continue to get wider. I was talking height wise.

6. Oh well, she does not know it, (yet) LOL

7. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I agree. I think my dog is getting wider. She has a tall and lanky appearance, but every week I notice she's starting to put on more and more muscle mass. Plus I feed her well and she's still a pup and we play ALOT! To me thats the key thing to having a healthy puppy. I just let her exercise herself. When she is tired she'll let me know. I take her to a baseball field where I'm able to close the gate and I just kick this ball around and I let her tire herself out. Ever since I've been doing that I've noticed that she just grows like a weed. But I don't think she's gonna get any taller though.

8. yes, I play with Oakley a ton and she is getting more mass on her but still looks like a bean (dorky) which I find sooo funny. When we fetch she loves to bang her head on my legs when she is bringing back her frisby or ball. LOL (she loves the garden hose. she just can't seem to get the entire stream of water in her mouth.)LOL

9. roggin323

roggin323 Pup

from my experience tall and lanky pups will be taller than normal, where as pups that are chubby will be normal knee high, i have a 5 mnth old and hes 50 lbs already and i know hes gonna be a little taller than normal but these dogs require lots and lots of running. i run mine along side my bicycle, and he is pretty swole. pitts are the hardest to guess because of they way they have been bred

10. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

What if my dog has a long tail? My pup's tail has over passed the elbow of his back legs a long time ago. A friend told me that dogs with longer tails are better wrestlers because of the long tails, what are your thoughts on this?

Aloha,
    Chainlyf

11. ive also heard that they hit their full growth at about 2 years old

12. kimbel2392

kimbel2392 Big Dog

In my opinion you should check with the breeder and find out the sire and dam size- it is all in the genes. The pup shouldn't exceed the size of the parents, that is if it was bred from linebred dogs in the first place. When you buy a linebred dog the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Always find out about a yard before you invest

13. Unfortunately, when I read the first part of the thread it said that they got the dog from the shelter. Maybe it's full-blooded and maybe it ain't. They will just have to wait and see how big this pup will be. (Not trying to say the dog is not pure, but how would you really know?)

14. Yeah if you didnt get your dog from a breeder youll just have to wait & find out. Most breeder weigh all thier pups at different ages & can make an educated guess ofhow much the pup willweigh when it gets older from how other litters turned out.

15. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

A friend of mine once told me that if a dog is line bred, they tend to come a little taller. What are your thoughts on that.

Aloha

16. chi

chi Pup

I would have to say if your pup is 5mnths and is already 40lbs. Chances are she will be over 50lbs. Once they stop growing in height they usually get wider and bulkier. Another thing I would like to add is most pits grow until 1-2 yrs old depending on how they were bred.