1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

how long after weaning before conditioning

Discussion in 'Whelping' started by bulldog426, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

this has been a debate between me and another person, thought i would get some more opinions on it, so i could see if i'm right or he is... me honestly alot of it depends on the jips health... if she's really underweight definately put weight on her before working her, but if she's around ideal weight, start walking, which i've noticed helps with the drying of the bags as well. if the jip is ideal weight i'll start walking short distances within the week. just don't let her get too tired, or stressed.

2. hoovereport77

hoovereport77 Big Dog

bro i ahd a gyp that gave birth round the same time last year and i started walking her 3 to four mounths after she gave birth, very light and short walks. gradulaly increasing as the months go by. jmo it will take a full year for you to go full blast in conditioning. just my opinion

3. As far as I know its gyp not jip. If she's been bred...she's no longer a gyp either lol.

That being said take it slowly, as was suggested above.

4. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

i've never really really thought about it or done it is why i was asking. i'm just concerned about my bitch being the same dog she was...

5. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

a wise dogman once told me: after she's been bred and has pups wait until she comes into heat again (don't breed her), then wait about a month after that (her full heat cycle) and she'll be ready. giving birth and feeding pups takes alot of nutrition out of a dog. it's not like hog hunting where alot is taken out of the dog at one time. it's constant loss over a long period of time (6-8 weeks). it takes time for a dog to bounce back from that. take it slow.