1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

how much and which food when conditioning

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by scottyh, Sep 7, 2009.

1. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

i want to condition my dog but im jus feeding her regular complete diet what does a raw diet consis of and how many times a day should i feed her i see alot of ppl use the term cup but your cup and my cup can be diff sizes i live in the uk so whatd be the best complete food i can get science plan????? any help would be much appreciated thanks my dogs 3 n a half and has had a litter

2. I hope this catches because I would like to read up more on feeding as well.

3. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Science plan is not a good food. You can find much better at comparable prices. Also, different foods require different amounts for a serving. Regarding conditioning, it depends on what you are conditioning for. If it is just for show, it doesn't take much to get the dog looking good.
    Also, there are a lot of threads on here discussing raw. There are many different recipes and so forth. You may just want to take some time out and search the forum. I'm sure you could find plenty of info on it.

4. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

what about cup sizes over here vetenariens say science plans the best can i get the canidae food over her i hear so much about it and i spend hours on this forum its great:) jus would like sum mre opinions thanks also its jus so my dog is fit n healthy i play fetch with the ball for half hour to an hour nearly evryday jus cant get her as ripd as she was b4 the pups she ad nearly 2 years ago thanks:D

5. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Those veterinarians are lying to you. They make money off of selling that crap. That is why they have it in-stock at the vet office. Science plan pays the veterinarians to sell and push the stuff.

One of the best things you can do for the dog is a lot of walking. Walk it daily for an hour or two and you will start seeing results quickly.

I let my dog eat as much as he wants and he stays in very good shape because he is walked/ran/swam 5 times a week. Good food and a lot of walking is all you need.

First things first, get rid of that science diet.

6. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

so wa should i feed her look at my album my dog is in kinda gud shape i wana get her rippd though thanks 4 d advice:D

7. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I feed Nature's Variety. But, there are all kinds of good foods out there. Innova, Taste of the Wild, Origen, Solid Gold, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of members who have other good foods in mind.

8. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

but i live in the uk how would i find the equivelent over here

9. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I would look for small pet shops. Usually, over here the smaller independently owned pet supply stores carry the best food. Find a local pet shop and call them. Ask them what foods they carry and post them here. We can try to help you from there.

Call a couple and let us know what they say.

10. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

If choosing between Canidae and Science Diet, Canidae by far!!

I feed ALS to one dog and Lamb and Rice to the rest. All do great.

11. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

thanks ppl noway suggested a food called burns chicken n rice thanks for all the help ppl:D

12. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Chicken quarters w/bone(60 %)
    chicken gizzards or hearts(30 %)
    chicken livers or beef kidneys( only 10% of total feed)

Add variety to the diet by feeding beef also, along with beef liver and hearts.
    Canned jack mackeral once a week and soft boiled eggs every couple days!

Remember.....you need muscle meat with bone and organ meat!

YIS

13. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

Raw is the way to go...If done right can be way cheaper than that Sci-fi stuff...and unless really screwed up will alway be better than kibble...

14. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

I agree^^^^ I add a half a cup of good kibble to beef and heart mince' salmon oil/ kelp and bees pollen once a day, energy levels are great!:)

15. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

great reply s ppl guna stock up thend of the week wat about tripe frm the butchers lyk the sack nt minced????:D

16. Don't feed raw unless you do you research and make sure you are giving your dog correct meat portions. You need to maintain a ratio between meat types, and can definitely really damage a dog if you just go into it making up your meals as you go with no knowledge of what dogs need nutritionally.

If you do the research, its great. You can't beat it. My dog's favorite treat is a whole deer leg during hunting season - will never see her happier than when she is ripping up a deer leg.

17. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

calculating feed amount per dog.
    multiply dogs weight by 16 to convert to ounces.
    multiply total ounces by .02 for 2% of total body weight.
    multiply 2% of total body weight by .6 for meat amount.
    multiply 2% of total body weight by .4 for veggie amount.
    feed this amount as you begin to work the dog. start slowly with long walks at varying paces. the as your dog starts to trim down and tone up look for weight loss in the face and the showing of vertebrae. increase the amount of feed slightly to adjust for the weight loss and the workload.
    when conditioning i feed twice a day. a small meal within thrity minutes of the workout with supplementation, usually tripe or jack mackeral mixture..prefer tripe but it realy stinks...the above formula for the second meal....s,

18. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

my meat ingredients are normally chicken backs, chicken livers, beef liver, beef hearts, and cow cheek. i try to get use both meaty and fatty portions of the meat, cow cheek is nice. for veggies i use anything green and leafy...colloards, mustard greens, spinach,etc...i add oatmeal and brown rice. i mix this together with a little olive oil. a really simple version of the raw diet.
    i have used this basic formula with success several times, the dog thrives on the diet especially when the amounts are adjusted up and down based on his weight gain/loss as he is fine tuned to his ideal working weight....s.