1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How much?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Doggystyle, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Now obviously I'm new to buying from a reputable breeder, and I would like some insight as to what are the pups worth. I have been considering buying a pit from a guy who has produced only his second litter and he is trying to start a kennel by advertising the registries of the grandparents. The pits who produced the pups are not worked at all, as a matter of fact they stay in a Apt all day and night. What questions should I ask the breeder, what price should I expect to pay and what should I take into consideration?

2. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

i wouldnt buy from somebody that keeps his dogs in an apt. all day , sounds like a byb to me, have your ever owned a pit before, what kind of home do you have for it etc.

3. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

I WOULDNT BUY FROM THIS GUY EITHER.
    WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR, A WORKING DOG (WEIGHT PULL,SHOW,HUNT), OR JUST A BUDDY?
    BEFORE BUYING A DOG, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SET IN STONE @ HOME-
    *IF INSIDE YOU WILL NEED A CRATE
    *IF OUTSIDE, A SECURE CHAIN &/OR KENNEL SET UP

ETC,ETC

PRICE ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU GET YOUR DOG FROM, AND YOUR USE FOR HIM/HER.
    I'VE HAD DOGS FARMED TO ME, AND I'VE ALSO PAID 900.00 TO GET A DOG OFF A VERY GOOD YARD (I TAKE MY DOGS HUNTING, AND I GO TO ADBA SHOWS FOR FUN).

IF YOU JUST WANT A BUDDY, DOGS IN THE PAPER RUN FROM 100.00 - 2000.00.
    FYI- STAY AWAY FROM "BREEDERS" THAT BREED FOR SIZE/COLOR (AKA BLUE DOGS). THEY CAN HAVE MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS, AND CAN HAVE AGGRESSION ISSUES.

IF YOU ARE JUST LOOKING FOR A BUDDY, I SUGGEST CHECKING OUT YOUR LOCAL SHELTER, THERE ARE MANY MANY MANY APBT'S WAITING FOR LOVING HOMES.

HUNTING/WEIGHT PULLING DOGS YOU ARE PROB LOOKING AT 350.00 AND UP.

DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT FIRST, THEN GO LOOKING. DONT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN WHAT YOU MADE YOUR MIND UP FOR!!

AND WELCOME!

DryCreek and Norvell57 like this.
  4. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

The sire of the litter was produced from "Gotti" and both parents look conditioned, also I actually seen the papers for myself, but I am a believer that papers don't mean as much as physically seeing the dogs in action. I just don't know what to expect price wise. I want a quality dog for a decent price. If the parents are Apt dogs and there is no sign of these dogs being worked then should I make him another offer or should I leave it alone on the basis that once someone has a selling price set they most likely won't lower by a-lot?

5. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Gotti line dogs are the dogs i was talking about in my post. they were bred for size (otherbreeds have been mixed in) & color. In MY personal opinion, i think the dogs are garbage.
    I bet her prob wants a pretty penny for one too.

Please atleast go look at your local shelter, i bet you would find an awesome dog to call your Buddy there.

6. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

oh, and another thing, im not necessarily calling this guy a liar, but watch out- just because they speak it, dont mean its true.

ive heard people saying they only breed one litter a year bla bla bla, but when you look in the paper, guess whos add you see month after month after month??

Just research whatever you decide to purchase.

7. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

He's asking $500 and guess what the pups are everyones favorite topic, BLUES. lol

8. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

If you want a working dog, stay away from Gotti-bred dogs. MOST of the dogs produced by that line are oversized, with poor health and temperament issues. Not to mention that fact that the "Breeders" of these dogs often have a VERY high price tag for their blue hippos. Dogs bred purely for color are often lacking in other areas, so make sure you know what your doing before purchasing. (Note: Some Gotti/RE dogs are actually worth taking a look at. However, it varies from breeder to breeder.)

Is his stock health tested? Many color/show/size bred APBT/Staff lines suffer from hip/elbow dysplasia.

Temperament tested?

Titled in conformation shows?

Titled in some srot of dog sport- or does he hunt with his dogs?

If you are looking for a companion animal (Or even a working dog), why not consider rescue? Many "Gotti-type" dogs are available, as well as "Gamebred" dogs and AmStaffs. You can get ANYTHING from a rescue, if you just take the time to look.

I personally wouldn't pick up the Classifieds and purchase a dog out of them. Nearly everyone advertising in your newspaper are puppy-peddlin' BYBs.

Take your time, do your research. If the price seems unreasonable, it probably is. A lot of "bluff" (i.e., dogs bred for color/size/head/etc.) charge outrageous prices simply because people will buy them. That can mean paying up to $3,000 for a dog that's probably not worth $1.

9. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

The only reason I can't get a rescue dog is b/c the pit I have now is 11 months and very dog aggressive,not towards pups though and not people aggressive. She is very well trained also. I got her from a BYB and she had parvo and stiil has an umbilical hernia. She is a bad ass. I wnat a male to pull in IWPA one day. I work my dogs and I expect the same if I pay more than what I make in one paycheck.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Even if you buy a pup your just waiting for one to die in a fight. You know one is dog-aggressive, pups grow up too! Dogs dont care if they were raised together since birth/brother and sister/etc etc. It doesnt matter what kind of dog you bring in, eventually your gonna have a fight. Making it a puppy only ensures the dog wont be able to defend itself when it happens.

So you've got a male and looking for a female but rescue wont do huh? hmmm....

11. tahamonie

tahamonie Banned

***Please refresh yourself again with the forum rules. We do NOT allow the sale of dogs on this forum. -Miakoda***

12. Suki

Suki Guest

that's what I thought. Then, my dog got older, and guess what, the "pup" did too. If your dog is dog aggressive, the aggression will soon be directed to that pup as well. It's just a waiting game.....

13. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

The person I was considering buying the dog from actually lives in my Apt complex, so I really don't understand your purpose of reminding us of the rules. I guess I should say thanks for "trying" to look out for us anyway.

14. WWII

WWII Banned

She was talking about tahamonie looking for pups on here. This site isn't a place to advertise pups, studs, bitches, etc...Anyway, I would stay away from the Gotti line. Someone posted up a pic of Gotti and Fast Eddie (English Bulldog) and they looked exactly the same, except for color. I firmly believe Gotti line is mixed.

15. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

I could see where you get that from b/c I have seen 3 dogs from the "Gotti" and they were short and stocky(maybe overweight). I think I'll keep looking around. It's just that those pups being sold are the closest to me and I would get the pick of the litter. I honestly don't want a dog that looks like a small horse. I have checked out 3 different kennels in Tx and all three advertised huge,big head pits.

16. game_test

game_test Top Dog

i cant understand why people need a dog so bad they mistreat one by sticking it in an apartment all day. dont you realize larger dogs need running space and to be outside? man, i just dont get it. keep the one oyu have already and dont get anymore untill you have at least a half decent yard to put it in.

17. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

I have my girl in an Apt also. I work 8 hrs a day and when I get home @ 5:30pm I work my dog for at least 3 hrs sometimes more. Mon I walk her for at least a mile, Tues we go plat fetch on my friends land next to us, Wed we jog around the land, Thursday we work on a spring pole and Fri we walk again. All I'm saying is that I've been living in this Apt for 7 months and since I've been here I've only seen him with his dog twice. Obviously the dog is a couch potato,so why should I pay 500.00 just b/c it has papers. It is possible to live in an Apt and still have a working dog.

"Its my opinion,it matters to me"!

18. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

a good pit will run about 600 to a couple grand...and in my opinion a blue pit ..hold on...ha ha ha..ok is not worth a burger flippers check....as far as getting a puppy she will get used too it and except it....i have a serious animal aggressive female...lions ,tigers and bears ..no fear...but she excepted a pup once she found out she could drag him around and train him...now they have a strong bond that they cry when not near each other.

19. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

My girl will play with other dogs until they make a wrong move and that could be anything. I've seen her in action with a pup and she kept it in line but my girl wouldn't just maul the pup. She would push down or growl at it, you know, just to put it in a pups place. Like I said she is well trained.

20. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Serious question: Living in an apartment, are you prepared to keep these two dogs seperated if they grow up and end up hating each other?

There are good breeders in TX. You just have to keep looking. If I were you, I'd make arrangements to hit up some of the shows/pulls they hold down there and talk to some people. (Like the TX Classic -- conformation and obedience -- this coming weekend in Hutto.) Look around and see who's got the kind of dogs you're looking for, then introduce yourself. I know some breeders who wont sell a pup to someone they haven't met in person, so making yourself known to some of the people who are actually out there competing with their dogs would probably help you quite a bit in your search for a dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.