1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I'll share with you all...

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by SouthernDixie, Jun 7, 2006.

1. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I don't recall Sothern Dixie asking members of this forum if they thought she was doing the right thing. It seems to me her post said that she had made a tough decision and felt that she was doing the right thing. We weren't there...and so could not see what happened. I feel that if a dog bites its owner it is time for the dog to "have a dirt nap" as someone here used to so colorfully say. It seems that she mentioned this happened twice. I , too, have read that there are different ways dogs can express agression and yes, there are ways to train them...however, I am prejudiced against dogs that attack people. What if the dog launches an all out attack? What does stitches in the hospital matter? Like it's OK if it only two stiches and death if it three? Or more. What if the first bite is ripping your face off? Or the first bite is no stitches and the second is ripping your face off?
    Don't make this any harder than this is for her by second guessing her. We don't know if she has kids. Or if their are kids in the neigborhood. More biting dogs should be put down in my opinion. And I like dogs...
    And it is NOT easy to make this kind of decision. My sympathy is with Southern Dixie and not with uninformed second guesses. She didn't ask us to second guess her.
    Even if it is her fault due to faulty training, the dog is attacking now. That is a pretty big risk to keep around, especially when there are many dogs who get crummy socialization , abuse even...that DO NOT bite Or attack...
    What happened to "culling" human agrro dogs? A policy I don't like but there is a lot of reality I don't like. Not all is sunshine and roses and not all dogs deserve to live, unfortunately.

2. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

amen laurajean, i was shocked to see people protecting a dog that bites its owner....for any reason. especially after a year of raising the dog!

dirt nap...lol...i like that! if pepper ever bit me or my son, she would quickly get put down too. there are too many good dogs out there to try and rehab man biters.

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

I agree with u 100% pepper, i think she made the right decision. Hope everything goes well southern

4. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Any thing you deside is always right. I'm sorry that you had to go through this and I only hope that things will look up for you. Goodluck and if you ever needsomeone to talk to, don't hesitate to PM me.

5. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

good luck. i respect your decision as it is probably the best choice given your scenario. i would honestly take to heart that this dog has a one dog family personality and try to find a person that is capable of handling him as a single dog but your present situation probably does not provide that venue. putting him down as a result of something that you know his breed is known for doing is almost like baiting a child to steal candy in a candy store. have you gotten an animal behaviorist to check him before deciding this? don't get me wrong. i do believe you are making the right decision. i just naturally want to fight for the dog's life if there is a chance. "this breed is not for everyone" is an understatement.

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Nobody is telling her what to do, she is doing what she feels right. But since there is a topic on the board that sounds to the uneducated like a dog "turning on its owner" I want to get some answers, because I have a sneaking suspicion that

1.)It was only a redirect caused my mishandling the dog

2.) It was not an "attack", but more likely the dog nipped and let go.

Not every dog that bites is a "man-biter" , you need to differentiate the two, if for no other reason than, so this BS "turning on its owner" myth is finally put to sleep-instead of furthering it by dramatizing events imo.

If you really feel the animal full out "attacked" you just to bite you (strange, since his focus was on the other dog at the time) than I can tell you, the vet wouldnt even get the chance to put my dog down-and I wouldnt be there! I dont think it will ever happen, but if for any reason it did, with any dog, of any breed, we would take a quick walk out back with a .44 and a shovel.

Rockstar likes this.
  7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Yep this is why I like 14Rock he is actually the only person on this forum who has any decent knowledge of this breed and can think and judge for himself without having to follow the crowed.

P.S. Oh and by the way a .44 come on now 14Rock is that a lil over kill a .22 will do just fine lol lol hahahahahahahahaha

8. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

that was an absolutely rediculous post. i guess i will ONLY ask rock questions from now on in a PM since he is the ONLY person who knows anything.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

AAAhhh come on now dont be like that its all good you can come and ask me some questions not only 14Rock has an avaliable shoulder to cry on. lol lol hahahahahahahahaha

10. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

i am not going to go around and around with you, everyone has an opinion, mine is that you have been kind of rude in this particular thread. i am entitled to it, as you are entitled to feel anyways you do about anyone else here on the forums. thats it. :)

11. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

You said I was being kinda rude? I was just praising 14Rock becasue he seems to be the only one with an opened mind too see both sides of the story. Sheesh lighten up girl I was only playing with ya.

12. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

yup, sounds like a re-direct and not a bonefide "attack". BUT im glad she is doing what makes her feel most comfortable. My thoughts are with you. I have had to get rid of a dog too, never bit anyone, but i wasnt going to give him the chance.

I actually had a re-direct bite last night but it was nothing bad, just a nip and thats it. My house dog got into the room where another dog is in a crate right now, they started going at it, and i ran in and grab'd the house dog, i got a nip on the hand, but didnt break skin or anything.

If ANYONE has a dog that they are nervous around, that dog needs to go BYE BYE. Whether it be a walk in the woods, or re-homing to an educated more exp. fancier, it needs to be done. Keeping a dog that you are nervous of is begging for trouble (regardless of breed).

Me and my dogs have a strong bond, i couldnt have a dog that i couldnt trust.

Southern- feel good that you are doing the right thing.

13. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Ok when you are focused in a fight be it an animal or human and you are in the fight zone mode the dog or human basically zones out anything else so if you touch the dog or human when he is in that fight mode without him knowing his natural reaction will be to fight or bite but it will be unintentional and he will realize what he has done wrong and stop. If a dog bites me unintentionally its usually the owners fault but if he bites me on purpose or intentionally then it is the dogs fault and he will be put down. Alot of newbies cannot distingush between these two scenerios to them if a dog bites no matter what reason that he is dangerous and should be put down which in my opinion I feel is wrong. Also like some said this breed is not for everyone so if you choose this breed make sure you know what your getting into before making these important decesions because when you jump the gun thats how alot of dogs end up in the pound becasue the owner wasnt prepared to handle this type of dog.

14. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

I agree,, I know from my younger more rowdy years, that are past thank god,,lol. I had a brother-in-law grab me and jump in between me and another guy in the middle of a scuffle and and he almost got KO,ed ...by me and actually almost happened to my girlfriend on one ocasion. I can only explain it as a natural reflex kind of thing,, a ooops I guess you could say. I know the last thing I wanted to do was hurt my brother-in-law or girlfriend. I suppose it,s the same with animals.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  15. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

For those of you who offered condolences and support, thank you.

For those of you who might have needed more elaboration on the incidents:

First time it happened he was trying to fight with my female through her crate and came after me when I tried to calm him down. The second time it happened I was standing in the kitchen (as he was in his fight mode) and he basically just cornered and jumped me. I've still got the wound on the back of my arm and my back, yet the bite marks on both my fore arms are gone now. They just feel like giant bruises still.

He tried biting the vet techs, and that really set me off on my decision. And as we were at the vet for the process, one tried to just pet his head and he got ahold of her hand in his mouth - not too hard, but it wasn't a friendly nibble.

Also, in my giving him commands, he would jump up all on me and try biting me - yet I could just turn my back and avoid the bite as much as possible.

He showed too many signs of human aggression, and it's unfortunate that it happend. I never thought it would be one of my dogs, but it was.

The process was good. They had to sedate him before because the vet was scared enough to not want to do the IV w/o him being so. We spent our time with him and he's now in a better place. (And don't you tell me dogs don't have souls and don't go to heaven either! :) ) It's been said he's probably started his own fight club in his heaven and if that's the case, he's happy.

Once again, to those who supported me in this decision, thank you.

16. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

once again, my hats off to you. sounds like you made the right decision. TOO many people ignore warning signs thinking it could never be "their sweet doggy", and then someone gets bit.

Just remember the good times w/him, and you'll feel better.

17. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thanks for the elaboration, dog definetly sounded like a problem, and I'm glad you did what you did.

Saiyagin- thanks, but I am far from the most knowledgable member of the site, let alone the "only". Many of the others are simply tired of responding to the same threads every day when all they have to do is run a search for the exact same thread, a week previous. Some great people have left us (one especially), but there are still a bunch of educated members you see browsing the forum every night, just because they dont respond to public messages, doesnt mean they arent here ;)

18. idgie

idgie Big Dog

In your first post, you said that he was trying to get to your female when he attacked you, but in your recent elaboration you make it sound more random, so it is still unclear what happened. I don't think anyone here wants to make this situation harder for you, and my heart goes out to you because it's clear that you loved this dog and hated to put him down. But not being there or having a clear description creates questions in people's minds ... your dog may have had very normal responses for the breed that could have been handled differently. We are certainly in no position to judge your situation, but with you can't expect unqualified support with the descriptions you've given. And hopefully you've come to this forum to learn rather than just for pats on the back.

The only clear lesson, as others have said, is that these dogs are NOT for everyone.

Rockstar likes this.
  19. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

In your first post, you said that he was trying to get to your female when he attacked you, but in your recent elaboration you make it sound more random, so it is still unclear what happened.

It happend twice. First time I grabbed his collar. The second time, I was too afraid to, so just stood there wondering what the heck to do. When a dog turns from the fight to come 10 or so feet away to a person just standing there, would you assume that is normal behavior?

I don't think anyone here wants to make this situation harder for you, and my heart goes out to you because it's clear that you loved this dog and hated to put him down. But not being there or having a clear description creates questions in people's minds ...

My apologies for a post and run. I should have waited, but I was about to head out of the door. Figured though, that it might help others.

your dog may have had very normal responses for the breed that could have been handled differently.

He bit the vet tech also. Not only before he was PTS when she tried to pet him, but as he was in a dog run before he was supposed to be dipped. I got the call from the vet, and that's when the decision was final.

We are certainly in no position to judge your situation, but with you can't expect unqualified support with the descriptions you've given. And hopefully you've come to this forum to learn rather than just for pats on the back.

No. I hoped to show others that human aggression is just plain not acceptable. I hope that my trying to be a good owner will not only protect myself and others, but the breed in general. I will not live in fear of my own dog.

The only clear lesson, as others have said, is that these dogs are NOT for everyone.

True. And yet I still love the breed with all my heart.

Does this help further explain my decision to you IDGIE?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  20. Do yourself a favor don't get another pit....I have a feeling that you do not understand this breed and maybe made mistakes while raising him.

He is still a puppy....

In the right hands that dog can be broken and be a great pet you just are not qualified to do so...

This is an Alpha dog where you lost his repsect some where along the way....

Unless the dog had some severe brain damage or was bred really bad.....but I highly doubt it....

Get a poodle next time...

...let alone you had two....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006