1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Important Advice needed

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by StraightGame, Aug 13, 2006.

1. StraightGame

StraightGame Big Dog

I ran my dog today and aferwards we came home and gave rub down to him. Al ittle later on he went to pee and he peed blood this is the first time it has happpened. I want to wait a few days to see if it passes. What do you think it is and what i should? Opinions wanted please!!!
    [​IMG]

2. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I think you should get a vet's opinion...or someone with veterinary experience. At least call the vet's office and ask if they think you should bring the dog in. If it something medically serious, the dog might be dead in a few days. And if it is nothing serious and a vet tells you that, then you won't have to worry for a "few days". JMHO.
    I am no dog expert by any means.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

To the vet now. It could be anything from a UTI (urinary tract infection...which you'd prefer) to advanced Heartworm disease (if your dog isn't on hw prevention or even if you skipped a month or so & he hasn't been tested in a while) to even cancer. (& many other possible causes)

Have him checked.

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

yeah I would go to the vet too...but I have had dogs that upon sudden and extreme exercise lose all available water unfiltered blood and toxins in their bladder and it come out red the first time they pee after...but its only a little bit and its gone...and its not exactly blood red...its just unfiltered blood and toxins and kinda red brown...so if the stuff coming out of your dog is totally red and flows red thru the whole stream and hasnt gone away...take it now even if they are closed call 24 hour assistance...

5. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I agree. Bloodwork is a must, even if its only a preventative measure.
    It could be nothing, (I had a Welsh Corgi once who pooed straight blood in an isolated incident- the vet ran every test he could think of, and everything came back stellar. No Parvo, worms, cancer...nothing. So he treated the symptoms with Immodium, and it cleared right up. No recurrence. I found out later my roommate had been giving him KFC chicken skins. Who knows what it was, but that may have contributed) but the piece of mind you'll have in knowing will make the visit worth it. Like was previously stated-UTI can produce blood in urine, with bladder and kidney infections. Cancers of the urinary tract and/or bladder/kidneys also produce blood. A huge spectrum of possibilities exist here. Hope for the best but always prepare for the worst, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2006
  6. StraightGame

StraightGame Big Dog

Thank you everyone for your responses you've been a real help. misterdogman, you were right, I posted this thread right after I was done exercising him and just a little afterwards when he went to pee again it was normal, no redness-brownish at all. I usually never work him out so that might have been a factor but he's good now =).

Thanks everyone again for your help I really appreciate it!!!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_153579", true); </SCRIPT>

7. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

AWESOME at least it was a simple thing..yes when your body has a boost of adrenaline and works real hard real fast for a short time...all the unfiltered blood and toxins and even things that are good youd usually keep in your body get pushed out of your liver kidneys and gallbladder and in males also the Testes ...well it ends up in the Bladder....usually it goes to the gallbladder and comes out on its way to pee but when the organs are stressed it just pushes what it has out to make room for this flood of new crap coming in from the heart pumping so fast and so much blood...I am so glad hes alright....keep an eye on him tho...you never know what hides until later....

8. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

It's a symptom of failing kydneys. The dog pisses red because the kydneys aren't filtering properly, then pisses clear liquid the next time it goes. If it were my dog, I'd take it in to John Q. Vet and have some BUN level tests done, along with some other bloodwork. The blood-colored urine can be from a number of other things, as Mia suggested, none of which is healthy and normal.