1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is my female in heat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by nancybrittain, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Hi! I have two pit bulls. The male is 3 y/o and the female just turned 7 months. She is not bleeding yet but has been licking down there quite a bit. My male has also been whining a lot around her and humping any part of her he can. He also seems to want to lick inside her ears all of the time now. Is she possibly in heat right now and just not started bleeding? Do you think it is possible to keep the male from getting her pregnant in her first heat? He minds extremely well, but you know how set in their ways pits can get when they have their mind on something. I just don't want the female to get hurt. We are planning on breeding them, but obviously not on the first heat. Any suggestions? We can't really afford to board her and would hate to make one of the dogs stay outside. Thanks.

2. Can anyone help me? Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Thanks!

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Only way to ensure she doesnt get pregnant is to spay her. Which is obviousl the sound thing to do. Why do you want to breed with 1000's of "pitbulls" dieing in shelters every day all throughout America, its not like their is a shortage.

Plus, breeding takes lots of money to do correctly and ensure the mama and puppies health.....you WILL not make money on a litter if you care about your dogs health! You stated yourself you dont have $$ for board which is minimal considering the cost of breeding!

Not to sound rude but if you have to ask simple questions like this shouldnt it be a sign you should not be breeding your dogs? I dont think people really realize that if you ensure your pups health you will not make $$ on a litter. Also, theres so many things that can go wrong and you will lose your bitch. Besides that, what have the dogs done to prove themselves worthy of being bred? Theres plenty of "cute" and "loveable" "nice" pitbulls dieing everyday in a shelter.

Keep the dogs separated and take control of this situation!

4. dog are dogs if he wants it he'll get it! my girl had here first heat as well she just finshed not to long ago and my boy didn't do any thing but i think it because he still a lill to young the only think i could think of you might have to put one outside but have them play during the day and let the boy sleep at night outside

or but the boy a rubber j/k

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The male dog needs to get securely contained outside. He will be going nuts here in a short time to get to her, its natural for every dog. If you allow an accidental breeding to take place at this young age, chances are you will loose your bitch. No body wants that. Spay her and dont worry about this situation ever again!

6. Thanks. As for you 14Rock, I am very well aware of the duties that involve in raising a litter and preparing a bitch for breeding. This is just the first time my husband and I have actually decided to do it ourselves. My dogs are definitely "worthy" enough to be bred. My male is very large, the smartest creature I have ever come in contact with, has great nature with all other animals and people, etc., etc., etc. The female is young but has been learbing all of her good habits from the male. You don't know me so you do not need to judge me. We already have a waiting list of people ready to buy the pups. I do understand the importance of spaying/neutering pets and that there are a mass amount of pits that get euthanized daily, but being that I love my dogs so much, I want to ensure that I will have a puppy from their bloodlines throughout my life.

7. Okay. Sorry for the rudeness by me. I just get a little defensive when it comes with the ability to care for my pets. Sorry again Rock.

8. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Buy Crates And Seperate Them. Do The Breed A Favor And Spay Your Female, Its For The Best- Trust Me.

I Agree W/everything 14rock Stated.
    The Bitch That Whelped One Of My Males Ended Up Dying. She Had 9 Pups, But The Owners Didnt Know There Was A 10th Dead Pup Inside Her, And By The Time The Bitch Was Showing Bad Signs, It Was Too Late, She Died A Few Hours Later.
    Taking Round The Clock Care Of 9 Pups In Exhausting, Are You Ready To Do This, If This Happen'd??
    What If You Had A Pup Stuck In The Birth Canal & U Dont Know What To Do, But Dont Have The $$ To Take Her Into The Emergency Vet??
    I Have Seen Pups Get There Heads Ripped Off From Inexperienced People Trying To Pull Them Out Of The Birth Canal- Yuck.

I've Had Bulldogs For A Few Years, And I Havent Bred Once, And Dont Plan On It Until I Know For A Fact That They Are Worthy Of Breeding, That I Have The Room To Keep All The Pups, Ot Know People That I Can Farm Them Too.
    You Should Only Only Breed To Better The Breed, Not Because You "love" Them, Or They Are "pretty".
    Thats Fine And Dandy To Love Your Dogs, But That Doesnt License You To Breed Them.

If You Want More Pets, Please Think About Adoption Before Breeding. There Are Many Worthy Dogs Out There Dying Everyday Due To Overbreeding.

9. Why do you want to breed with 1000's of "pitbulls" dieing in shelters every day all throughout America, its not like their is a shortage.

Theres plenty of "cute" and "loveable" "nice" pitbulls dieing everyday in a shelter.

where i'am from there isn't any of our breed in shelter and plus it might be more money to take them home to get them used to your pits, and you have pride in your pits giving life. what you should do is spread the word to other people who don't have our breed and show them how our breed is kind, Loveable, careing, smart, and athletic .

10. WWII

WWII Banned

That is absolutely the wrong reason to breed. And just because your male is large and behaved doesn't mean he is worthy. Just remember that you are adding to the problem.

11. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

I HAVE HAD MANY MANY PETS THAT I DEARLY LOVE, BUT HAVE NOT BRED JUST TO KEEP SOMETHING FROM THEM. WRONG REASON TO BREED. DO YOU REALIZE TO GET THAT ONE SPECIAL ONE, HOW MANY YOU ARE PUTTING OUT POSSIBLY TO DEATH??? ITS NOT WORTH POSSIBLY HAVING 9 DOGS SENT TO DEATH FOR ONE....

I HAD SOMEONE APPROACH ME (WHO I WAS TRYING TO STEAR IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION) & WANTED TO BREED A SCATTERBRED (BLUE CRAP MOSTLY) CUR OF A BITCH TO ONE OF MY MALES BECAUSE HE WAS "CUTE & SMALL" & HE LOVED HIS FEMALE, FOR ANY STUD FEE I NAMED. I REFUSED NICELY, AND EXPLAINED WHY THAT MADE NO SENSE. ALSO HIS FEMALE HAD BITTEN PEOPLE QUITE A FEW TIMES, A BIG NO NO IN MY BOOK.
    THOUGHT HE HAD FIGURED THINGS OUT, WELL HE CALLED ME WHEN SHE WAS IN HEAT AND BEGGED ME TO DO THE BREEDING, I REFUSED AGAIN, THIS TIME NOT SO NICE.

I WILL NOT BE PART OF SOMETHING THAT WONT BETTER THE BREED, NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU STICK IN MY FACE, OR HOW MUCH I LOVE MY PETS.

12. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

read this slow and calmly

ok, you dont have to like me ill tell ya how it is. you in the same breath claim you dont have the knowledge to know when your pit is in heat and that you do not have the funds to even board your female. yet your going to breed. incase you havent heard, that takes money to do propperly, course you could half ass it kinda cheap. Your male is big and smart thats not a good reason to breed him there are thousands just like him being put down every single day. realisticly you shouldnt even breed your female for another year and 5 months. but your gonna wait until her second heat right because your responsible (tsk tsk tsk) ...........
    yes you may consider me rude
    yes im in your business but you put it up for public review when you posted in a public forum
    and yes im saying you need to investigate and research more before you rush into something and create lives in an irresponsible matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  13. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Keep it respectful guys, "you catch more bees with honey than vinegar". Please stick around and read the posts concerning breeding nancy, I believe your views will change once you see the reality of it. Welcome, and Good luck.

14. wwII why do u breed?

miss conduct and rock14 back off your judging like they jugde our breed!

every one has there reason on breed it might be the wrong reason but it's there reason.

we can give advise, but don’t put them down.

15. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

so some people need to be told what they are doing is a mistake! so there reasons can suck and they can cause problems for the rest of us and our dogs because its THEIR reason? well my reason for punching someone in the face might be my reason but i bet the guy who gets hit thinks my reason sucks and wishes i hadnt done it. extreme example but you get the idea.

16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

We are are supposed to sit idly by while people breed for wrong reasons and further the state of despair our breed is currently in DUE TO bad breeding?! Let me guess, you own big blues?

17. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Achilles, Im Not Trying To Judge, I Am Trying To Educate W/examples. If I Come Off As Being "rude/judging" Im Sorry, But There Are Soooooo Many Byb Its Ridiculous, And Gets Old.

Welcome Too, Please Stay Here With Busy Eyes And An Open Mind.

18. rock14 do you breed?

19. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

nino (blues) a blue blood line isnt worth the paper its printed on if (ill give you the benefit of the doubt) they were bred for color not conformation or any of the other redeeming traits this breed posses. i have never heard of that line is it a staff line or something new?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  20. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

You know I really hate when people like this come up here asking for breeding advice. The only thing they know about bull dogs is the book they got at the pet store. This woman knows nothing about the breed and her male is worthy to breed because he is big and friendly and likes flowers.
    I do agree with 14Rock that you catch more bees with honey. But she is planning on breeding these dogs and the puppies will be bred, if they live that long and almost everyone getting these pups will be just like the "breeder", ingnorant of the breed.
    I wish these people would learn something about the breed before jumping into making puppies.

My 2 bits