1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ivomec----how to

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by newbieturtlepits, Oct 31, 2006.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

Then whats your problem,why bother with the conversation.

2. bravo! i couldn't have said it better. i am all for that and hope he can abide by the same standards! it would make our dogs proud of us! :D[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  3. to take one sentence out of context is something a politician or reporter would do. i clearly spelled out what my problem was. alot more to it than that sentence.

4. Suki

Suki Guest

yes, indeed!
    ...may you ALWAYS be the kind of person your dog thinks you are! ;)

5. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I'm curious to hear what you use as heartworm preventative, and how frequently, so I can do some research for myself and if need be, change my erroneous ways. We have never had problems with Ivermectin, (in pure, or in Zymectrin Gold) however, that doesn't mean we aren't overdosing and causing a myriad of internal problems which aren't visible.
    I use Ivomec and give it monthly, and every 6 months switch from it to something like Mylibemycin, or Selamectin. Reason, is it’s been discovered that the parasites are developing resistance to the drugs we’re giving them. Roughly a year and a half/two years ago they came out with the new protocol recommendations for worming and heartworm preventatives. Like I told Purplepig, “Sure you haven’t had a problem”, though is giving over 30 times the recommended dosage beneficial? Always best to give the least amount of chemicals as needed to our mutts! Much like with antibiotics…give the right drug, correct amount, for the proper length of time. Same thing goes for parasite control!
    <O:p</O:p
    Is it any wonder the parasites are developing resistance to our drugs? How many decades have people been saying, “dose Ivomec at .1cc per 10lbs”? Though why do they state such…simplicity and ease of dosage. People hate to do math so giving the actual dosage of .1cc per 11lbs like the bottle states and where they got their dosage from…requires too much thinking and math. So the dog community made it easier and gave a more potent dosage to an all ready extreme over-dosage with the .1cc per 10lbs. Is there any wonder why parasites are building up resistance and the drugs are starting to be less effective? Not when you look at how most treat and use them. Let’s look at the wormer paste in question. If someone has a 100lb dog it needs to be given .03mg of Ivomec…how can they? What about the Praziquantel in it? It’s missing the key ingredient Febantel to be effective for tapeworms in canines so the parasite is being feed a drug that they’re able to develop resistance to and possibly rendering Droncit useless if they ever need it, because of that.<O:p</O:p

To show the huge over dosaging the majority give let’s do some math. If a person is feeding 4500lbs of bulldogs (90-50lb dogs) on their yard, in a six month time frame if giving the correct dosage of Ivomec they’d need only 8.1cc of Ivomec. Now we know everyone wants to save a buck or two when they’re able. Given that and the fact Ivomec has a 3 year shelf life…honestly think anyone is throwing away what’s left in the bottle? Now take into consideration most will never own 90 dog much less be feeding them, are they going to throw away a virtually unused bottle? How many needle sticks will have been placed in that bottle in that time frame allowing possible contaminants in, destroying some of its stability, etc?<O:p</O:p

i asked where you got your info and you said an old school vet. not any of the other sources, the old school vet. i didn't discredit the sources, you were the one that said the vet not me, so my info was correct, heresay. you never said you confirmed any of your info in any other source than the vet. you said i could go investigate it myself. as far as the part you're not supposed to ask someone that on the internet??? wtf you asked it of other people first. nice double standard.
    Okay obviously the confusion is still there for you. If you refer to my last reply to Purplepig in post #49. You’ll clearly see the humor in my reply when I told him about say; “old school vet”. Then I answered your post with that “internet lingo” afterwards, I actually answered your post with the actual information on where I got my information. As for the “confirming” the information, I wouldn’t waste a board members time reading if the information wasn’t CONFIRMED! Now in regards to the “not asking someone” once again goes back to the laziness of most on the internet. They’d much rather someone pass along misinformed information in a sugar-coated way than actually look the information up themselves or have someone give them the correct information minus the sugar-coating. Of course I said you could investigate what I wrote yourself trouble is you’re too lazy and would rather whine about my post than see the value of information in it and where it clearly stated why I stated such.

as already stated in this thread, you seem to try to be confrontational instead of informative. you wanna be the almighty know-it-all and be superior. with a different attitude people may look up to you and respect you and your info, but with the dickhead attitude going you are discredited.
    First-show me one post of mine that is “confrontational”! Second-I would hope nobody would “look up” to an anonymous internet person. As to those that will discredit my post…they’re an idiot, and only that person can choose to become emotional over emotionless text. They can “discredit” my post all they want but facts are they’re accurate and unlike what you’ve been whining about actually provide information that is beneficial. Amazing how you’ve post numerous times in this thread alone and not once gave any members reading, a shred of information related to dogs in any form. What I’ve come to realize is the loudest whiner is usually the least informed and offers nothing to the board. Way too busy whining because they weren’t spoon-fed information, in a manner they desire all the while instilling emotions in the text and never seeing the information actually being shared. Try something new…prove me and my post wrong! I’d love nothing more because unlike you I like to be proven wrong as it means I get to LEARN something.

to take one sentence out of context is something a politician or reporter would do.
    I didn’t realize you was a politician BoggiemanBlood? As we see you pull crap way out of context as we’ve been shown in this thread. It’s okay though as we know it’s because of the power of the “old school” wording? I told everyone…mention “old school” on the internet and it instantly pulls people in whether consciously or subconsciously and gives validation to everything.

CrazyK9 likes this.
  6. it was clearly asked by an admin that name calling not be done but for whatever reason i guess you think you are above the rules. i love how you refere to "we" all the time. do you have a mouse in your pocket? i NEVER pulled anything out of context. if/when i responded i left the whole paragraph i respond to. so your statement i pull things out of context is completely false. i never claimed to have the answers, don't know where you got that either. what i don't care for is your attitude which i've already stated. you are neither nobody to look up to, nor anybody i care to listen to. your words don't have any power over me whether they be "old school", "new school", or any school. your explination of the old school statement makes no sense whatsoever. i just pointed out that is where you said you got your info when you were asking for others to tell their sources. so the statement of sucking people in with the old school line is completely retarded. continue being full of yourself. i'm sure your opinion of yourself makes makes you happy and i guess that's all that counts. also i didn't whine or cry about any of your info. i did make comments about your piss poor attitude toward other people. if that makes it whining and crying, i assume you've been married too many years! now go ahead and reply to this with some smartass, off the wall reply too. maybe it will give you your daily fix of downing someone and making yourself feel important.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  7. Suki

Suki Guest

I respectfully ask that ALL of you, who have "names" you'd like to address to the other members, excluding user names, to PLEASE do so via a PM.

This goes for EVERY member.
    This thread is now closed.

8. Marty

Marty Guest

After reviewing this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I feel it should be reopened, based upon some discrepancies/inaccuracies found regarding the dosages that were posted.

However, I would like to reiterate that name calling, and a blatant show of disrespect towards other members will NOT be tolerated on this forum. Game-Dogs exists to help preserve the APBT, and we consider it to be a learning forum. Please respect that, and other members, as well.

9. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

THANKS for that info! I had a hard time with the paste getting the correct dosage. Now that I know about the 50# per notch, it shoudl make things a lot easier!

edit: ok, maybe not. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  10. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

if you dont know what dosages to use just stop being cheap and take the damn dog to the vet!General you,not directed at anyone particular.

11. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

hey, don't scream at me! I use the liquid. I picked up the paste once & ended up tossing it out because the dosage was too confusing.

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I use the mixed combo of Ivermectin/Propylene Glycol & people are amazed at the dosage. I use one of those medicine droppers to dispense it & it's 1 drop per 10 lbs. That's it.

However, I also get Heartguard Plus samples all the time so my dogs are on that much of the time as well.

13. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I use that mixture as well. I used to try dosing myself a few years ago but you taught me I was doing it wrong. ;) ( see, I listen to Momma!) Now I order from these guys.

http://www.eppinettekennels.com/ivomec.html

There was anohter person I ordered fom once but I can't find him anymore.

I bought the paste because my order was not in yet & I thought I could figure it out. WRONG!! I tossed it.

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

So let me ask this: If we have been grossly overdosing our dogs for such a long time, how safe is it going to be to give the correct dosage? How would you go about cutting back to the recommended ammount on say a 50 lb. dog, who has been given .1cc per 10 lbs. bodyweight, for say 5-6 years.

I'm curious about the other drugs you mentioned, and am researching them for myself, a few questions:

The listed dosage of Milbemycin is 1-2 mg/kg for treatment of Demodex mange, per MVM. I know in Ivermectin, a higher dose of the drug is used to treat Scabies, then simply Hw preventative. Since both are of the same basic structure, derived from the same source, am I correct in believing this dosage is too high for Hw prevention? What do you dose your Milbemycin at, if not what Merck mentions?

Selamectin is listed as a topical treatment, by merck vet manual, and mentions nothing about HW prenvention. Could you elaborate as to its use, on your yard?

15. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Also, what are the signs of overdose?

BtW, the folks I know who use ivemec for other worms(not for tapes, but the claim is that they use it for all worms but tapes), the place mentioned above stated that if it is mixed down, that it is strictly a hm preventative, but when given straight, as has been done for years, it rids other worms.

On a side note, I had a tape problem once, and when I went to get some stuff for them, is when I started using Zymec gold, and low and behold, I have not had any tape problems since. Then only worm problems I have now is in the pups, which is dealt with using panacur. Are you saying it is coincidence that my worm issues disappeared?

16. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I am curious about Texas' answer as well. Praziquantel (found in the Zymec Gold) treats canine parasites.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_praziquantel.html

17. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

So let me ask this: If we have been grossly overdosing our dogs for such a long time, how safe is it going to be to give the correct dosage?
    There is no “if” to it as it’s plainly visible and noted most are hugely overdosing. As far as “how safe” I’d say it’s real safe, a lot safer than continue overdosing.
    How would you go about cutting back to the recommended ammount on say a 50 lb. dog, who has been given .1cc per 10 lbs. bodyweight, for say 5-6 years.
    Simple instead of giving the dog 5mg, give them 0.15mg of Ivomec.
    What do you dose your Milbemycin at, if not what Merck mentions?
    Recommended dosage is: 0.23-0.45 mg/lb. In drugs such as Sentinel it will be given at 0.23 mg/lb of Milbemycin plus 4.55 mg/lb of Lufernuron (minimum)
    Could you elaborate as to its use, on your yard?
    Elaboration…ever heard of a product by Pfizer called Revolution? Selamectin is nothing more than a semi synthetic macrolide. Its efficacy is similar to that of other macrolides. When dosing at 6-12 mg/lb topically it has been shown very effective at preventing heartworm infection, kills fleas and flea eggs, ticks, ear mites, and sarcoptic mange. Even has been shown that bathing and swimming, as soon as 2 hours application did nothing to its efficacy.
    I am curious about Texas' answer as well. Praziquantel (found in the Zymec Gold) treats canine parasites.
    [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Hmm…could it be the amount needed to treat said parasite? Though I could be wrong, as I’m sure someone, somewhere in these mutts would give their dogs a dosage to treat a 254.5 lb horse. In that case sure, what a great tape wormer it is. Then again would their dog survive the 23.16cc of Ivomec? [/font]

18. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Oh duh, lol. See, that's what I hadn't considered. Thanks for the reply.
    So I suppose the answer to purplepig's question is that he is probably one of those people that "would give their dogs a dosage to treat a 254.5 lb horse" which is why the tapes cleared up, lol.

Well, up until now, I have felt guilty that I don't have my dog (or cat, both indoor pets) on heartworm preventative or treated for any parasites, including fleas and ticks for a while here. I guess it is kind of a good thing though. At least now I have a bit of an understanding of what exactly I am supposed to be giving my dog and why.

19. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I dont quite understand where this comment came from, but I assure you that in the case of Zymec Gold, I give a 50# dog a 50# dose, as each notch on the plunger is a 50# dose. Why do you think I am using 254.5lbs of the stuff?

20. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

It is very simple math....
    According to Mia, only 3 mcg are needed per pound. That is indeed over 30 times the amount needed for heartworm prevention.

I would post more but I'm tired. 1am. G'night! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007