1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ivomec----how to

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by newbieturtlepits, Oct 31, 2006.

1. TexBD's that is a great post with great info given in a great manner! [​IMG]Thanks for being nice!

2. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

You said,
    "So I suppose the answer to purplepig's question is that he is probably one of those people that "would give their dogs a dosage to treat a 254.5 lb horse" which is why the tapes cleared up"

So you said that I am giving enough to treat a 254.5 lb. horse, not a dog. You said horse.

And noone has answered the question I posted about signs for "overdose" of ivermec.

3. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I didn't say it, Texas did, lol. That is why I put it in quotes. To me, and I could be way off, his post implied that because the tapes cleared up in your dogs, you overdosed them with the zymec.

I can't judge, because all my knowledge has come from this thread and doing independent research because of it. I don't know enough to say whether or not anyone here is under or overdosing their dogs.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The symptoms of an ivermectin overdose can be presented as, but not limited to,:

vomiting
    diarrhea
    incoordination
    tremors
    dilated pupils
    death

5. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Thnx Mia for answering.

It seems that my dogs are having none of these symptoms of an overdose.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Those are from an immediate & very large overdose.

Ivermectin can have serious effects on the liver & kidneys used overdosed over a period of time.

7. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

It must be from a VERY large dose, as I have seen people use an unreasonable amount of it to rid the dog of mange, and no effect as them!LOL

I have heard that prolonged use of ivemec straight, w/out mixing with oj or something, would cause the liver or kidney damage, but have never actually seen this in practice. I always assumed that it is bacause I have always used the paste and not the more concentrated injectable solution.
    Just to clear up a misquote, my vet never suggested Zymec, but did suggest ivermec. When I searched out the ingredients to tapeworm meds, I kept coming up with praziquantel, and found it in Zimecterin Gold.

Mia, Do you say that praziquantel is not a good substance to use on tapes?

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

My question, in response to "how to" bring one down to the correct dosage, was in reference to immunity, and possible problems. Will cutting the dose, so dramatically at once, still produce the required results, or would we be better off to gradually step down, in your opinion?

9. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

My question, in response to "how to" bring one down to the correct dosage, was in reference to immunity, and possible problems. Will cutting the dose, so dramatically at once, still produce the required results, or would we be better off to gradually step down, in your opinion?
    I knew what you was implying, just tried to give the short and sweet answer. I'd say it's say even more at this time of the year to do such. Given heartworm larvae cannot develop to the stage needed to infect dogs until temperatures have been over 57 degrees Fahrenheit, day and night, for 1-2 weeks minimum. Plus Ivomec is effective as a prophylactic with lapses of up to 2 occur.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thank you very much for your support Texas. I've been looking into it myself, and have some good info to do some research of my own. I will take your advice, and decrease the dosage to the recommended, next cycle. I had heartworm testing done on the dogs, not 2 months ago. I plan on testing again in 4-6 months, if I'm going to lower the dosage, and make sure it is still working effectively.

Again, your insite is always appreciated.