1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Boots

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by coop-dog, Oct 5, 2007.

1. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

Hi folks I was woundering how good was he and why is he not talked about much

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

3. Greenwood's Gr Ch Jimmy Boots
    A world famous and bone-crushing pit dog, he was raised as the Greenwood family dog. He was not an outgoing aggressive dog until shown aggressive. He was the tipical house dog that would do little tricks. One trick, his owner would ask him what the girls in Laramie do. (a prostitution town) Jimmy Boots would roll over and lay with his legs open!

Gr Ch Jimmy Boots is mainly known for his classic war with Benny Bob. Benny Bob was the famous son of Bullyson who beat Bullyson. Bullyson being the famous son of Eli.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
    Bullyson likes this.
  4. Jimmy Boots vs Benny Bob Jan 1973
    This Classic report was in the AGDT Magazine Sept-Oct 1995
    Jimmy Boots vs Benny Bob
    Willie Brown vs Dale Brandstrom
    Males 52 vs 53 Cajun Rules
    Ref Bill Petsie

The Texans had arrived the night before by plane. Willie Brown, Halliburton, Carver, Hall, to name a few and joined by Freddie Jones and Indian Sonny. The fans from Utah came with their entire families. Mr G has about ten kids himself, I think.
    Ed Weldon from Colorado along with them, totaling 20 men per side. Benny Bob is weighed at 53lbs, washed and enters the pit after the toss of a quarter. Brown waits in the pit while The Man from Utah Mr G brings in Jimmy Boots. The weigh in finds him over the weight of 52lbs by a mere 2oz BUT is over the weight. Texas decides to claim the forfeit as well they should, but The Man from Utah says... I still have 13min before pit time to make the weight and he hurries into the house. Returning within the 13min it was heard he led the dog to a tree and then wiped the wet sand and mud from his dog's feet and tail. Jimmy Boots is weighed...on weight.. Good going Mr G,,Halliburton says. The fight is on. Jimmy Boots is washed and enters the pit, and Pit Your Dogs. Bets by the hundreds are called and accepted by both sides of the pit.
    These two dogs are more evenly matched than any other two dogs I have ever seen. They swapped stifles, shoulder holds, rolled, bit noses, and literally ShipWrecked each other the first 35min. Mr Carver says.
    A lot of encouragement from both sides. The scratching starts after a turn is called while both dogs are rolling after each other. Jimmy Boots to scratch,,,handle,,completed, more fighting, each dog is on top then on the bottom. I think Jimmy Boots is the harder biter, but Benny Bob seems to be able to reach in there no matter what hold Jimmy Boots takes. First one scratches, then the other. A count of how many times was not recorded, but no doubt about both these determined animals going accross. One hour fifteen min approximately, finds Jimmy Boots has lost the use of hisback legs from those crushing stifle holds, and on a scratch by Benny Bob the legs collapse, letting Benny Bob on top, crunched into a corner. They go to mouth fighting. Hard biting even now. Benny Bob loses a top cutter with Jimmy Boots chewing from the bottom. Looks like Texas is ahead now. A handle can only be made by Willie Brown as his dog is on top and they remain bunched into the corner. Time goes by as both dogs chew out their holds. Both handlers congratulating each other on the tremendous dogs they both have shown. One Hour Thirty,,the handle,,as The Man from Utah sees them free of holds. Brown picks up from the top and a leg dangles in front of Jimmy Boots, and he goes after it and grabs hold. Brown lets go again and this gets Jimmy Boots out of the corner and on top of Benny Bob,and he starts working. Handle,,scratch by Utah,,,fighting,,,handle,,,a scratch by Texas. One Hour Forty finds Jimmy Boots taking the top position. That Man From Utah can sure put one up, someone from Texas says. Shake the Bear Mr G tells Jimmy Boots and he shakes. Benny Bob laying out of holds now but trying to take a nibble in the rib cage every time Jimmy Boots shakes the shoulder, but he is completely exausted and critically hurt. Everyone thinks Benny Bob can never make his scratch now,,,then both dogs boil up on their feet together in holds. More fighting,,handle,,Benny Bob should never be able to go,,OVER HE GOES,,handle,,Jimmy Boots crosses. He bites in with that fire in his eyes,,,using the energy he should save to live with,,,handle,,Texas goes again although weak on his feet,,handle Jimmy Boots scratches,,handle Benny Bob lunges from the corner, but loses momentum half way over and is counted out 20 sec count. Its over,, Ed Weldon with Jimmy Boots and The Man from Utah the winner in two hrs and 5 min.
    JIMMY BOOTS by Ed Howe
    Jimmy Boots was born Feb 11, 1969. He was bred by the famous Earl Tudor. He was purchased by Mr. Edgar Weldon and registered with Frank Ferris and the ADBA as Weldon's Boots. The following is the Stud record of Weldon's Boots.
    Jimmy Boots and Dottie Patch 8 pups born Aug 17, 1972. From this litter came Brother Bill, Miss Kitty, Gladiator.
    Jimmy Boots and Lupe 6 pups born Oct.2, 1972. From this litter came Paddy, Irish Rose, Charlie, and Willard. The other pups died.
    Jimmy Boots and Mitzie 12 pups (2 died) born Oct 31, 1972. From this litter came Connie, Barney, Luke, and Gretchen. The other 6 pups were sold to 3 other dogmen. They are the only 3 litters sired by Jimmy Boots.

screamin'eagle likes this.
  5. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

wow see learn something everyday..thanks realonebulldog good stuff.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to realonebulldog again.

6. Thanks for posting Realone.

7. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

Thanx for the info guys great posts.

8. JIMMY BOOTS, A DOG FOR THE AGES...by Richard F.Stratton

It seems to me that it is not a bad thing that good dogs are remembered for over a hundred years. Most people are forgotten within a few decades of thier deaths. That fact may be a little disheartening, but it is nonetheless true. Well, then should a mere dog be remembered for over a hundred years, such as the imortal Galvin's PUP or Colby's Pincher? Why not? Of course, I'm an incorrigible bulldog man, and I want the individual dogs to be remembered as long as race horses. As a point of fact, though, perhaps they are remembered for even a longer time- atleast among the bulldog fraternity!
    These thoughts of mine were occasioned by a letter from Mike Page that contained the "true pedigree" of JIMMY BOOTS. The pedigree had been so designated by Ed Weldon and it had been changed by Ralph Greenwood. I knew both men, and they were both fine fellows. But, I remember how they both nearly worshipped JIMMY BOOTS. With knowledge of the high regard that I knew Ralph Greenwood had for the dog, I know that he would not change the breeding record without a lot of research. I told my correspondent that I would check out the facts with Ralph's eldest daughter, Amy Buford. What I had thought was the case turned out ot be correct. Ralph had researched out the breeding of the dog by going back to the people in the area from whence the dog has come, the Red Lands of Oklahoma.
    JIMMY BOOTS had been bred by Earl Tudor, a truly legendary dogman. However, one of Earl's quirks was that he had little regard for papers. That is why I smile when I hear people talk of the Tudor line. Tudor made no effort to develop a line of dogs. He had not patience for that sort of thing and his attitude was that good dogs are where you find them. Nevertheless, some of the finest dogs in the country had a way of finding their way into Earl's hands. All the dogmen in the country respected him, so when they got that once in a lifetime dog, they turned it over to him. When h e liked a dog and a bitch, he bred them together and looked at the papers later. If a litter was small, he would register other pups on that same registration and save a couple of bucks. Sometimes he deliberately falsified a pedigree just for the fun of it. Ralph admired Tudor nearly above all dogmen, but he didn't kid himself that the dog may not have been bred as registered, so he did his research.
    One of my favorite memories of Ralph was when he was showing me a bunch of slides from his collection of dog pictures. One of his pictures was a crowd scene around JIMMY BOOTS. The dog was the center of a picture in which a whole lot of people, men, women, and children wanted their picture taken with the dog, much as the common people might want a picture taken with an actor or an athlete. Ralph referred to the scene in the picture as "the JIMMY BOOTS fan club." To my way of thinking, that was the way it should be with a good dog. He was a good dog in more ways than one.
    Coincidentally, Amy used a picture of JIMMY BOOTS in her excellent seminar for judges at the last A.B.D.A. convention. He was one of the many examples for judging a bulldog for a show, utilizing the ABDA standard for the American Pitbull Terrier. The only way she faulted the dogs was that his head was too large. The drawback in this regard is that there is a certain amount of added weight, since pit dogs are matched to exact weight. As I recall, JIMMY BOOTS was around 54 pounds. But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let me start at the beginning.
    (continued...)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  9. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I read a story about Jimmy Boots when I was 12 years old. That was wild to see that picture of him. I didnt remember his name, just that picture. I remember as a kid thinking he was skinny and how could a dog that frail ever whip anything in the []. Now I know better. LOL Damn good Post real1. Thanks for the read. :)

10. I beleive JIMMY BOOTS was whelped in 1969 from a breeding by Earl Tudor. He was purchased as a pet by a fellow in Colorado. In those days, dogs were allowed to run loose, and JIMMY eventually caused trouble. Actaully, the trouble was started by another dog that jumped him when they were both interested in the same female, also runing loose. JIMMY put an end to the discussion by promptly engaging his assailant, but the act landed him in the animal control's hoosegow. He was bailed out, not by his owner, but by an old-time dog man by the name of Trice. JIMMY was a smart dog and he had learned to do tricks, including a couple of ribald ones, taught to him by his original owners. Okay, as an example, the town of Laramie, Wyoming was once famous for its houses of prostitution. When Jimmy was asked what the girls in Laramie were famous for, he would roll on his back with his legs spread. (Well, you had to know!)
    One day Ed Weldon got a call from his old friend Mr. Trice. Trice was quite elderly by the time, and he was quite upset as he said that JIMMY had killed a bear in his barn. Weldon went over to secure the dog, and he discovered that the "bear" was simply a large black dog- a really large black dog! Trice had gotten to an age that he was concerned about handling such a powerful dog as JIMMY. He let ED know that he was going to try to sell the dog. Ed scraped together a couple hundred dollars. Remember, this was about 1970, and that amount of money was not small change, by any means. He was surprised that Mt. Trice only wanted fifty dollars for him, as he had only paid a trifling amount to get him out of the pound.
    At this point, I am a little unclear how long Ed had him. I recall seeing him at Ed's place, but I barely remembered the dog, as he was not yet famous. But, Ed had owned a lot of dogs and seen some great ones and he told me that this one was in a class of his own. That was why I remembered him. Now I wished that I had gotten my picture taken with him! If a had known what a great dog he was , I would also have tried to make sure I got a pup by him. As it was, JIMMY BOOTS was only bred three times. It is hard to guage how good a producer he was from just that small number of dogs, but there were enough good ones that JIMMY BOOTS is back there in many a pedigree. It troubles me to think that I once owned a granddaughter of JIMMY BOOTS and never bred her. She was sired by Shebesta's BUSTER , a grandson of BOOMERANG and a great dog in his own right, so her breeding was nothing to sneexe at. She was out of MISS KITTY, who was JIMMY BOOTS x DOTTIE PATCH. Oh well, done id done, but I sure wish now that I had bred her to something good and not worried too much about whether she measured up to my high standard of quality for these dogs!
    An amusing aspect to this story is how JIMMY BOOTS got his name. Registered into ABDA by Earl Tudor as JIMMY, Ed Weldon's transfer of ownership requested the name BOOTS, as Ed's wife had chosen him to be named. The guys in Colorado new him as BOOTS. When Ed realized what a great dog he had on his hands, he arranged for Ralph Greenwood to take him. Ralph called him JIMMY at first, because of the name on his papers. However, when he and Ed compared notes, with each calling the dog by a different name, the comprimised by calling him JIMMY BOOTS. And that was the name under which he became famous.
    Ralph always considered JIMMY BOOTS to be Ed Weldon's dog. In the three breedings that were made, Ed got inout, and he received half of the pups. I recall that some of the pups looked just like JIMMY, but the men were generally disappointed that that none of them quite measured up to their sire. Such a situation is commonplace when dealing with great dogs. Everyone wants a "chip off the old block," but the fact is that the pups are nearly always going to revert back to the average of their ancestry. If we keep that in mind, selective breeding makes sense and it is not so surprising that JIMMY BOOTS never sired a dog quite like himself. Secretariat never sired a horse as good as himself either. That should not be surprising. Generally judged the greatest racehorse in the modern era, it should not be a shock that his get were not quite as fast as he was. The same is true of the dogs. We may not get that "chip off the old block," but the best way to reach that goal is to breed to those kinds of dogs- if their ancestry is good too.
    The fact is that there may never be another dog quite like JIMMY BOOTS. He may not have been the best dog of all time. But he would be on a short list of the best. He is definately worth remembering , for he truly is a dog for the ages.

11. I guess, to answer the OP question JIMMY BOOTS is not talked about much these days because of his production record, or lack therof. As an indivivual dog, and from a historical perspective...I'll go with Mr. Stratton and call him a "dog for the ages."

12. patjr

patjr Top Dog

I was initially doing some searching on another dog, or more specifically the man and his dogs after rereading the "some Corvino history" topic, as something within it sparked my interest again. If your not familiar with the thread, it starts off with an article written by Randy Fox and a photo caught my eye, but more so the caption which read "Shebesta and Ch Buster This guy use to whip them Eli and Bullyson dogs..His dogs were Game hard dogs"

Anyway, I thought I'd revive this thread, because it's a good read and the closest I can find on here, which relates somewhat, to what he was using....btw these more additional information that could be added to the Jimmy Boots story too( which I think, appears on the sister site)

Thus far, all I've come up with, if I'm not mistaken is that Ch Buster is registered under the name Brousseau and I do recall Shebesta name in association with Ch Sooner...(peds-online can become meaningless, not to mention the real probability of getting lead up the garden path lol)...so if anybody would like to share any historical information or their thoughts and opinions about this family, I for one would enjoy and appreciate whatever you have to offer...thanks.

13. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Mike Shebesta was hard to beat,Triple S kennels was ducked by alot of great dogs and dogmen.
    Mike also ran with some others in his area known as the GOOD GUYS who didnt get beat at all...
    One of thier last bouts was a three hour win against Burton and Pat Carver with the colorado redman dog...

14. amistad

amistad Big Dog

[​IMG]GOOD GUY'S '' CHAMPION SOONER''

15. grove

grove Big Dog

Mike Shebesta and Ch Buster

Mike Shebesta+Ch Buster(son of Red Neck grandson of Boomerang).jpg

16. grove

grove Big Dog

On january 15, 1973 a dogfight took place in California between Jimmy Boots and Benny Bob, two very game dogs.
    Those present considered it to be one of the finest dogfights they had ever seen. We would like to tell you a little background on the winning dog, Jimmy Boots and his owner, Ed Weldon.

Ed Weldon fought his first dog in Illinoisin 1928. He beat alot of good men over the years including Trice and Greenwood.
    He was also owner of the origonal Lightner Spook dog. Always having one or two dogs in his yard,and fighting chickens awhile, he became inactive after several years until 1969 when he came across Jimmy Boots. He bought the dog from Mr. Trice in colorado.

Although Jimmy Boots will never make Champion, this is what he has done. His first fight in Denver over Clark's dog in 40 minutes. He then went against lowell Leham's Malcom X and won in 17 minutes. Then collected a forfeit from Bobby Halls Bully Son. In his last fight, he won over Willy Brown and Halliburtons Benny Bob in 2 hours and 4 minutes.

We thought this story was worth repeating, because this man and this dog were great friends and shared a real love for each other. After being out of the dog game for awhile we think Ed Weldon came back with a real splash. Jimmy Boots turned out to be a real Champ in anyone's standards.

Although Weldon lost him 7 days ofter his last fight, we are sure he feels fortunate to have owned a really great dog like this one. As we all know this is something all dogmen work and hope for, if they are lucky, sometimes find.
    We have been able to share a few of these adventures with them and feel proud to be associated with such a fine man like Ed Weldon, and to have known his friend, Jimmy Boots.

Utah Fanciers.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

17. patjr

patjr Top Dog

Good contrabutions members....thanks.

18. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

Was the great Jimmy Boots a Gr Ch or a 2xw? Who were his other oponents?

19. patjr

patjr Top Dog

My understanding is 1otc+2w...the accounts have been given above lol.

20. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

Thanx. I only ask because I often see him referred to as a Gr.Ch.