1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

jumping jacks!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by bullyville, May 17, 2013.

1. My little male pup just want quit jumping up on me. I know that he jus gets excited to see me but sometimes his toe nails scratch me. I've had other ones before and never had this problem. I have research ways to stop him but so far no good. Its has gotten to the point to where I either knee him when he jumps with a no command or just step on his chain to keep him down. Any suggestions?

2. Stoney917

Stoney917 Pup

How old is ir dog...... Sounds like he is punkin u out and has no kind of respect for ur authority... I guess he was a spoiled puppy allowed to do this till he started to hurt u... I guess depending on his age is how I'd handle the situation... But I always nip that kinda behavior in the ass before it can get to the point where ya need to knee him... But shit if it were my dog and he was jumping n me we would fight it out till he new who is boss and that shit is not alloweed... My voice always works best but it's deep and demands respect.... I'd pop him not with ya knee that can become a game which sounds like he is winning... Pop him in the ass and give a verbal command down or no but don't let him win and jump back but give him every opportunity to and he prob will ... As soon as he goes back to jump catch him and put him down on the ground and let him fight whine cry do whatever, he may sound like he gonna die but he just frustrated .ignore it and keep correcting....u need to get the respect and dominance back and make sure u let him know that's not acceptable behavior and will not be tolerated.... If u have a dominant personality deep voice it should be pretty easy but if ya soft that dog s gonna walk run and shit all over you.... This kinda behavior is easiky avoided from the start but not easy to fix when it gets to a point....Best of luck

3. Depending on how old the pup is, how long you've had him, and how long you've been working on this issue, you may just have a consistency problem. You need to find ONE method and stick to training that method. It may take your dog 1 week to several weeks for the training to really stick. But if you're jumping (no pun intended) between methods, you're only confusing him.

4. I feel both of ya'll on the suggestions... he is about a year old and I have only had him about a month or so. Just as of late I finally got him use to me so I have been kinda reluctant to discipline him aggressively. I just didnt want him to go back into that fear of a new surrounding you know..but right is right. Thanks for the help fellas

5. This worked for me with our Stafford who jumps/ we don't look at him, touch him, or talk to him when he is going to jump. just completely ignore him. if he does jump on you turn your back to him and continue to ignore him. its worth a try as it did work on our dog.

6. He just started to do this lately . He wasn't always like this. I've tried turning my back and it works but it just takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes for him to kinda calm down. I was maybe looking for a quick fix I guess that I could do without making him go back into his shell of fear (new owner). I usually do what the first member (stoney)does but since he is I guess I should say kinda fragile still I was looking for different ways to stop this problem....thanks for the advice (m-n-t)

7. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

How about teaching him something you want him to do, that you can reward him for, either w/petting and attention, or treats? A replacement behavior is something the dog does, that eliminates the behavior you don't like. So, if you teach him to sit, and he likes the attention he gets when he sits, then he isn't jumping. I think it's easier to train when a dog knows what you do want it to do, not just what you don't want it to do.

8. That sounds like a great option...well today I got a little more firm with hiim and it worked perfectly... I think if I continue with this one method he will understand that jumping up outta control isn't tolerated...

9. Stoney917

Stoney917 Pup

I def wouldn't use my advise and pop him since he a yr old and only had him for a short time .. Now if he were my dog for the whole yr and started that shit out of the blue an ass whooping would be due..... But ya u got the right idea it just gonna take time with a dog his age he is in that annoying asshole big puppy stage it's sumthin that he will get eventually if ur consistent .... That Was a great idea with replacement behavior .. Specially in ur case I would go that direction.... And if he continues then u gotta do what ya gotta do make sure that mofo respects u and he won't jump ....

10. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

I would give him a stern no with loud voice and give him the command to sit.. Every time the dog sits, I pet him or her if the dog jumps back up I push the dog off say a loud no and the give the command to sit.. My dogs sit when I come towards them because they know its the only way ill pet them... The same method doesn't always work so u gotta adjust depending on the dog.. And I will pop my dog on the ass when they bad... It's not to hurt them but they know thy are in trouble. Patience is key in training but never allow yourself to get frustrated or angry because it will block what your trying to do

11. Things have gotten better since my last post. I popped him that one day and now when he goes to jump I say no kinda loud he doesn't jump he just acts all excited and waits for me to pet him... I appreciate all the advice from you guys.