1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just add water??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 21 dre, Sep 24, 2012.

1. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

When regulating the water intake on your dog while he's in training, what's the rule? Is it the weight of the dog = water amount in ounces ( 35lb dog gets 35 ounces of water in his feed) or just let him free drink/regulate his own intake? What has worked for you?

2. MCS

MCS CH Dog

too much water in feed=viatamins getting loss due to quick exit
    I give 8 oz or less w/ feed to allow the food to properly digest the viatamin and minerals
    Also if you feed dry kibble there is a moisture content, water, already in the kibble.
    There was a thread that discussed this in greater detail but I cannot find it man, try searching yourself it will explain a lot.

3. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

I was thinking the same thing, as far as digestion goes. The reason that it's not good to eat and drink at the same time for humans is because the system digest the easiest thing first, which is the fluid, while the food sits and waits to be digested. I just did'nt know if the system of a dog worked the same or not.

4. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Different methods for different dogs and different times of the year.

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i add water to the feed just to get a good mix and leave fresh water available throughout...as the dog reaches peak shape you will see him come off the water on his own...not completely but you will see the intake drop...it is a balance concept...when he is lacking water he will drink...if he does not need it he will not....the out of shape dog is at a nutritional imbalance...as he gets closer to 'shape' there is a better balance between food intake and water intake...water may then be regulated at the end to dial in a predetermined weight....but let's say the first 7 weeks of an 8 week regimen...the water is there for his/her liking...US1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
  6. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

In the winter months dogs drink less and dry out faster in a case like this more water should be added and regulated to make sure the dog doesnt have a count during the keep.

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Dry Kibble has barley any moisture or water in it.

8. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

That reason is NOT accurate.

9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

You need more water with kibble. Also if you want the dog to digest the kibble faster soaking it in water will speed up the process.

10. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

1 ounce for every 2lbs of bodyweight and let it soak in while you work him , so a 35lb dog would get 17.5 ounces of water as your nearing the end of his you will reduce the water in the feed , but always keep fresh water in his bowl/bucket throughout

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

both. then i stop adding the water to the feed towards the end.

wheres the water content in kibble? as far as I knew it was dry/dehydrated.

12. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Let's say that no kibble is being used, does the fact that the feed is raw change the water amount as well?

13. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

No kibble is being used.

14. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Why do you say so? Is it because the system of a human is not the same as a dog?

15. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Raw will change the amount a dog will want to drink as its already fully hydrated. I still give the same 1oz per 2lbs though and pull off the weight by stopping the over hydration towards the end. I give the extra water with rf1 or peak performance.

16. elifan

elifan Big Dog

This is a good post but I use pedealite in the food during a keep and keep fresh water at all time's if you don't really know what you are doing you will do more damage than good.Always check the to see if the dog is hydrated by pulling up the back of his neck and watching to see how the skin drop's

17. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

What do you base your choice of Rf-1 or Peak on? Do you also use Vertex? Why or why not?

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I was replying to MCS post. Thats what the quote button is for LOL.

19. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

They are similar but not exactly the same. But that is not the only reason as to why I said your statement is not accurate.

20. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

This is the first time i've ever heard of this. I have always checked and seen the dogs count checked by pulling up the skin on a dogs back closer to the base of the tail. Who else checks their dogs count by pulling the skin on the neck.