1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just lost my 13 week old pup....

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by NitroDawgKennels, May 3, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

Very sorry for you loss.

Un fortunately, vaccines aren't 100% fool proof, and if a pup has lost his immunity from its mothers' milk before the vaccine was administered, the pup may not be protected from that virus, (or any regarding the DHPP vaccine.) Also, the vaccines could become ineffective if they weren't properly handled or stored. Any number of variables can occur, even conditions based from the use of live or dead cultures. (Administering procedures are different, based on their frequency of being given).
    Also, if your pup was sick when the vaccine was administered, it would hindered its effectiveness.
    Did you happen to notice, (just curious) any symptoms of an allergic reaction:low-grade fever, any noticable muscle aches, facial swelling, hives, diarrhea, or vomitting? I know, that's all "after the fact", just wondering tho.
    Again, VERY sorry, and as mentioned if the parvo was contracted from your yard somehow, and it can Lay dormant for up to two years, then clean like a crazy person so no other pets catch it as well...
    Stay well. Peace out.

2. B

B CH Dog

Well, regardless you had better get that bleach out and clean every square inch so this can't happen again!

Best Regards,

B

3. bullybaby

bullybaby Pup

The thing that sucks about parvo is that there really isn't a foolproof vaccine for it. Some breeds, including pit bulls, are more prone to parvo, so the vaccine is really a hit or miss shot. A couple of years ago I had three pups come down with parvo within three days. Luckily, all of them made it.

Even with treatment at the vet, the only thing the vet can do is put the dog on an IV to keep the pup hydrated. There's no miracle cure or medication for it. It's not usually the virus itself that kills the dog but the side effects(dehydration & malnutrition). Basically the virus goes through the intestinal tract and eats away at it. The dog won't eat or drink and usually dies from lack of food/water. Once the dog picks up the virus it usually incubates from 10-14 days before the dog shows symptoms, and the dog can/will pass it on to any other dog during that time.

I'd wait a long while to get another puppy. Even adults get the virus, they just don't normally show symptoms because their immune system is better developed to fight the virus.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Although dehydration IS the number one reason the dogs die, the parvovirus is a virus that LOVES to make it's home in the heart & heart valves hence why even some puppies who have begun eating & drinking again & seem to be doing loads better just die suddenly.

5. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

i am so sorry for your loss. RIP little one

6. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. She was a beautiful pup.

Make sure you clean the hell out of EVERYTHING to make sure it never happens again.

7. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Pretty little girl...so sorry

8. sorry for your lost like everyone said bleach your yard.

9. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

sorry to hear that :( She was a beautiful little girl.

10. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I'm so sorry.

11. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

Poor baby. She was so little too.

12. She fought so hard... She died in my arms. I can't stop crying every time I think about it. Her looking at me with those little eyes, with a look saying, "help me". My husband thinks I'm crazy, but she was like one of my kids.

13. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

That freaking sux!!!That dog was awesome!!!Where'd you get her?

14. Attila

Attila Guest

That does suck. What did the Pup die from?

15. She lost her 7 day fight with Parvo

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  16. Attila

Attila Guest

That is a horrible sickness. I am so very sorry. I have lost pups before years ago to that stuff. Learned many ways to over come it now but it is still a high percentage that don't make it through that stuff. Make sure you bleach every thing the pup came in contact with before you get another. Get a sprayer that hooks on the hose and fill it with bleach and spray your whole yard, bushes, fences every thing. Then get hydrated lime and spread that out in the yard. I do this three times a year in case a stray dog, cat or other critter brings it in on their feet or fecal matter. I pray you had a health garantee. Little good it does for the broken heart though.

17. malachi

malachi Big Dog

Our Prayers and blessings are with you. Sorry For Your Loss.

18. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

I am SO sorry! That's so sad what U had to go through, at least U know she's in a good place (Doggy Heaven) :)

Take care!

19. so sorry to hear that
    it's so sad:(