1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

K9 Power Super Fuel

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pitbulld0gs, Aug 1, 2017.

1. pitbulld0gs

pitbulld0gs Top Dog Staff Member

Was thinking about trying some, if it can help with recovery, i will be happy, has anyone here tried it? If so did you see results?

2. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Ingredients: Chicken, Powdered Chicken fat, Stabilized Rice bran, Milk protein isolate, Silicon dioxide, Creatine*, Agave nectar, Maltodextrin, Camelina oil, Citrus meal, Safflower oil, Whole egg, Coconut oil, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)*, Salt, Potassium chloride, Chondroitin sulfate*, Cruciferous vegetable mix, Dried blueberry, Tart cherry powder, Cranberry fruit powder, L-Leucine*, L-Carnitine*, L-Arginine*, Taurine, L-Glutamine*, Sodium Citrate, Proprietary blend of dried: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus brevis, Bifidobacterium, bifidum, Bifidobacterium, longum, Streptococcus thermophilus, Potassium iodide, Choline bitartrate, Alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E), Pyridoxine HCL, Inositol, Di-Calcium phosphate, Copper gluconate, Zinc oxide, Folic acid, Thiamin monohydrate, Hyaluronic acid*. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

https://www.k9power.com/super-fuel-energy-muscle-health-dog-nutritional-supplement

Except for the added fats and oils, the ingredient list isn’t much different from the high end grain-free kibbles out there. Can’t see how its more nutritious for a sporting dog than raw chicken meat, organs, fat and bone; fresh yogurt, eggs, some greens/avocado etc…or less expensive...IMO. Can’t hurt to try it out though. There is a lot worse stuff peddled as supplements out there.

pitbulld0gs and Red 73 like this.
  3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. A normal balanced diet should be about the same.

Then add the recovery ingredients...creatine/Maltodextrin, L-Glutamine.

It would be cheaper doing them separate.

I have never personally used it so it is an unfounded opinion. Hopefully someone who used it can offer up so information.

S

pitbulld0gs and Red 73 like this.
  4. pitbulld0gs

Those were my thoughts as well, i already know i have to add some raw in his diet this time, he just burns through the kibble too easy, even the ones with high protein and fat contents.

Thanks Slim, that is all im really looking for is something for recovery, this will be his first full 8 week keep. Do you have experience with the creatines and glutamines?

5. slim12

I use them. The creatine must be used with a sugar source. It gets all into the mimicking of an insulin spike and getting more into the cell.

Fat content is a big part of recovery. A high fat content will allow the dog to burn fat for energy and the proteins for recovery. A high protein diet with lower fats and carbs will steal some of the proteins needed for recovery and use them for energy.

The next biggie for recovery is the use of tripe. A tablespoon of tripe in the feed bowl will allow for better digestion, absorption and acclimation to the diet being fed.

Started to blab.

S

palooka, Box Bulldog and pitbulld0gs like this.
  6. pitbulld0gs

Thanks brother, i appreciate the help!

7. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

Any recommendations and instruction about a sugar source for creatine use?

8. promoe

promoe Top Dog

a "sugar source" ...fruit juices are good (natural) and glucose polymer with or without maltodextrin/dextrose depending on wanting to add bulk. this could get complicated lol

btw the first time auto correct saved me...I type polymore . saved my ass this time

9. promoe

promoe Top Dog

lets just k.i.s.s.

if you are only working one or two animals once or twice a yr.... then RF-1 is a no brainer (instructions on the bag for 55 days) with a high grade kibble,cottage cheese,yogurt,tripe/greens and your preferred regiment . as long as you are putting in work you will get results. unless (OMG I have been waiting yrs to use this term) you are rolling in the "fastlane" wherever that is......then your gonna need more tools in your shed.

PS. everybody fucks different and every dog fucks different...it just depends on who is fucking the dog!

10. Splash

Splash Pup

Some Food For Thought...by PH
    before you feed the main meal, you want to first give your dog creatine and water immediately after the workout. The reason we give the dog water and creatine first, just before the meal, is to allow the dog the time to burn fat and build muscle after the workout. A dog will actually burn more fat after the workout than during it, because (by the time the workout is complete) his glycogen levels in his muscles are all used up. This is when the dog gets too tired to work anymore, which is when he should be put up, and it is precisely at this point that the body will look for an energy source to replace the lost glycogen in the muscles.
    If you feed a dog at this point of glycogen depletion, especially if you feed sugar, then this is what the body will use for glycogen replacement and so it will NOT burn fat. However, if you give him just
    water and creatine, with NO added sugar, his body will have no other choice but to burn fat, and yet it can still use the creatine. Therefore,
    do not use sugar (juice/Cytomax) with the creatine after the workout, like bodybuilders do, as (even though it does build muscle better), it also prevents fat loss. So, while the dog is panting immediately after his workout, he gets 1 tsp. creatine blended only with 1 cup water, with no Cytomax/juice. Allow him approximately 30 minutes to recover to full relaxation after he drinks the creatine and water, before you feed the full meal, which should give you the time to prepare it.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/best-creatine-supplements.html

11. slim12

Agreed for the most part.

I use the sugar additives for the insulin spike. I'm not really concerned with burning fat at the end of the workout. I feed a lot of fat for energy purposes.

Two principle differences. The article is based on people and the bodybuilders end game. If the bodybuilder can add mass and cut fat he is happier at 250lbs with 6% body fat than he would be at 240lbs and the same body fat percentage. His creatine is used for an appearance not a performance. The bodybuilder's weight can vary up and down based on what he feels is his best appearance.

The dog on the other hand the dogs bodyweight is controlled and he must be on a certain weight on a certain date at a certain time. Since his body weight has been predetermined the amount of feed is strictly controlled.

Using the sugars for the mimicking of the insulin spike aids in recovery as the proteins/amino acids start to repair muscle tissue replenish fuels.

Another difference yet maybe similar, is most feed twice per day. The 'meal' afterwards is less of a meal and more of a supplementation soup. Its a fatty mixture with considerable fat and a lot pf protein for the replenishment. The 2nd meal of the day is a high fat/high protein mixture aimed to hit a weight target some 12 hours later after a dump.

S

12. pitbulld0gs

I can see the difference between the two for sure, it's no different than going to an MMA camp in prep for the octagon and needing to maintain a certain weight VS the body builder adding mass or weight when they want, things are going to be different. Do you guys think watermelon has enough sugars? Or is that to much?

And thanks Moe, appreciate the help, got a line on a swim tank to, didn't take long to find here in the corn fields lol.

promoe likes this.
  13. slim12

Yes.

Things change when a certain number has to be hit on a certain date at a certain time and then perform optimally at that weight on that date and at that time for an undefined amount of time.

The MMA and bodybuilding comparison is a good one.

S

promoe and pitbulld0gs like this.
  14. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

What is a good amount of surgar per wieght of dog when giving creatine after workout?

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  15. pitbulld0gs

Good question ^

16. slim12

Depends on the type of creatine brand and their recommendations.

Most are dosed around a 180lb. man. I then divide by the dogs bodyweight.

A lot of the brands are pre-mixed with the sugars already added.

I buy the pure creatine and then a dextrose bag. I make the calculation on the dogs bodyweight and then use twice as much dextrose as creatine.

S

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  17. slim12

And some studies are now leaning toward stacking not being necessary.

Some of the brands will tell you to go to XX amount of mg for a few days, a week, and then lessen the dose to the daily amount.

I do not stack. I start at the body weight and maintain that dose throughout.

S

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  18. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

Thanks Slim as always, That's what I was looking to find out.