1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping dogs warm in winter

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Nitrous, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

I want everyone's advice on keeping outside dogs warm in the winter?

2. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

We stuff the dog houses full of straw and make sure they stay dry. Luckily down here in the south it doesn't get as cold as it does up north....maybe the northerners have some other good tips for the real cold.

BB

3. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

fatten em up a little, and stuff the houses with straw. Make sure the dogs house is the right size, Ive seen people use huge house's thinkin its better for the dog but its actually harder for a dog to keep warm in a large house.

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Make sure the dog house isnt too big for the dog and is off the ground. Another good tip is to insulate the dog house from outside, too..place bales of straw around the house as a wind blocker /insulator especially if the houses arent protected from a north wind (we stack them up and on 3 sides)

The biggest hassel though is the water buckets that freeze over instantly...

5. gator

gator Big Dog

Living in the south is nice because cold is not a big problem but I would suggest a good tight house of the ground of course and plenty of straw I prefer hay when I use it but as soon as I feel like it isnt needed anymore I get it outta there because it harbors all kinds of insects and other shit. Good luck on keepin em warm.

6. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Hay can get really moldy , epsciacally the 3rd cutting (sometimes you can get a 4th) sinces its so green.

A bit of cedar chips on the bottom of straw also helps repell the bugs..

7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

My dogs are retarded I guess lol cause they would just tear the hay down...
    BB

8. gator

gator Big Dog

Mine might even try to eat the damn stuff.