1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Labor pause ???---Back from vet and pictures

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mrsmickey351, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

So we've been anxiously waiting on this litter as you all know, and last night she started to have them. She had her first one around 10:15 p.m. and had her second one at about 12:15 a.m. Has anybody ever had a bitch quit labor and just stop having her pups??? Our bitch done that last night, she had the two pups cleaned up and called it a night. Went back to eating and carrying on like if she was done. I didnt quite buy it, cause I couldnt find any of that black after birth stuff (you know that black stuff that's so nasty they wont even eat after their done). Anyways after a long night of keeping a close eye on her we opened the vets office this morning and they had to give her a shot to try to induce her back into labor. What do yall think??? [​IMG] Here's her picture and the two GIRLS (want more males out of this litter).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. grace had 5 and quit for over 6 hours and then started back up. ended up being 10. what did the vet say?

3. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Well, it certainly LOOKS like there are more than two in there! Did they give her an ultrasound?

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I once had a female who had 5. She stopped for about 2.5 hours, then started again. She had 6 pups after her break, all of whom died shortly thereafter.

And what DID your vet say any way? She does look too big to have just 2 pups.

5. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

She is still there and has had 2 male puppies so far that were born dead. They basically said she just went out of labor. They had to give her 2 shots to put her back into labor. Thats all for now.

6. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

I would not take this LIGHTLY !!!! You could loose your bitch and all of the pups...If your vet is NOT TAKING THIS SERIOUS...I WOULD,,YOU SHOULD !! I would schedule an EMERGENCY C-SECTION ASAP to save my bitch and pups !!

The Watcher likes this.
  7. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

We just did I called and asked them to do an ultrasound and if there is any pups left to please get them out alive. I don't care how much it cost and they know that. They are great vets and have always done us right. He was trying to give her a chance to have them on her own. She was bred 1 day and then we skipped a day and bred her again. He said it is not unusual for them to go out of labor like that sometimes. There was 8 and half hours inbetween the last puppy and when I got her to the vet. She had a normal temperature and was doing fine. They gave her the shot to induce her and a shot of penicillan. I believe she is in good hands. This is her first litter and you never know how they are going to be. Keep us in your prayers as we are a very bummed out. Greatful for the ones we have but the hubby really wanted some males. The two she had at the vet were males and they were born dead. They looked like their daddy from what I was told.:(

8. They should have xrayed her as soon as she got there to see what the problem was and how many pups were left. And since she'd already gone so long the VET should have RECCOMENDED a c-section.

I've had bitches who paused during labor, but it wasn't an ALL NIGHT pause. When my parents raised Blue Heelers, one of the bitches whelped nine pups in all, she had the first six in about two hours, waited another two and then whelped the last three. All the pups lived. Typically, I get antsy if I haven't seen a pup in an hour to an hour and a half.

When Duckee had her litter, we ALMOST had to have a C-Section done. The first pup was breech and HUGE and she'd been in labor for an hour and a half with no luck on getting him out of there. She'd come close a few times, but no cigar. The last good push she gave, we could see him and he didn't have his sack anymore, so we packed it up and went to the emergency vet right then. No sack - suffocation - no thanks. They xrayed her AS SOON as we walked through the door and the pup was turned SIDEWAYS. They gave her a shot to induce contractions and said they were going to attempt to turn him, but that they would probably have to do a C-Section. They were prepping her for surgery when the little sucker finally turned. After that pup, she didn't have a problem.

I would be VERY upset that your vet hasn't done much about this situation. You could lose that litter PLUS the bitch. They need to get with the program and quickly.

9. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

I understand....but if you are having any doubts about you Vets decisions...please, please be presistant...even BITCHY if you have to. I had a friend that almost lost her bitch to exactly this type of circumstance..her blood pressure dropped, oxygen levels plumeted...at that point they didn't even expect her to live...the only thing that saved her was Amy being insistant and the fact that bulldogs tend to be tough as nails where other dogs would just give up.

Time is of the essence now......

Please keep us posted !!

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Just from my point of view, I would never give a dog oxytocin to speed up labor in a dog that has gone 8 hours in between pups. I would do a c-section immediately.

I hope all goes well & your dog & pups will be fine.

11. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

Well just got off the phone with the vet and that was it. She had two girls born last night and two boys born dead today. She is just not being a good momma. I figured this might happen cuz she is a ruff ruff ruff female. She don't like any other animal. I will be bottle feeding them. She wants to bite them everytime they try to nurse. So after I have shed some tears:( I am fixin to go pick them up. Took off work today so I can try to get these beautiful pups through this and myself too. Thanks for all the advice and help. Please keep us in mind as we try and make it through the first few days. Thank God for the ones we have.:)

12. diva

diva CH Dog

bummer mrsmickey :( I will be thinkin' about yall. Hope all goes well from this point on. Keep us posted!

13. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Well, congrats on you becoming a momma! :) I'm sure those little pups will make out just fine with those lovely bottle feedings every 2 hours & the wiping of their tee-tees & tooshies after each feeding. Just take care of momma too.

14. I can't believe she only had four in there, as big as she was I would have guessed six or seven, easily.

What did your vet say about her breast feeding? If you just let all her milk sit there, it can get infected and cause more problems (milk fever, mastitis, etc.).

I hope the two little girls get by with ZERO problems from here on out! Bottle feeding is tough! I'll keep you all in my thoughts - Good Luck :)

15. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

This is JMO but ... I would think about muzzling the bitch & sitting w/ her so the pups can nurse. They need the colostrum & mother's milk is better than any formula.

As for bottle feeding it IS tough! After I lost a few b/c they refused the bottle, I switched to tube feeding. It much, much easier & their survival is almost guaranteed.

Just a thought.

16. Yeah, tube feeding is much easier and less time consuming. About the only risk with that method is if you get liquid in their lungs, but you have the same risk with bottles.

I would try muzzling the mom, too, or just sitting with her. Atleast once or twice a day, so that the pups get the vitamins and colostrum and the mom gets to use some of that milk up.

17. they blend into the sheets LOL good luck with them they look cute.

18. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I don't have gobs of experience with breeding, but with Chiquita's first litter, she took the whole weekend to deliver. She started Saturday afternoon, and squeezed out the last one during the wee hours of Monday morning. She seemed to go in batches. She'd have a few, then take several hours off. But like I said, I don't know much about breeding, so if others are telling you otherwise -- I only read a few of the replies -- better go with that, just to be safe.

19. truegames

truegames Big Dog

Good luck!

20. CB

CB CH Dog

I agree with the muzzling thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.