1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

lakeland terrier

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Blackpoison, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

Thanks roy

just a little read on the lakeland in 1948 times

The Lakeland Terrier is fast proving popular,well meriting the praise it so often is accorder. It is a descendant of the old english black-and -tan terrier; possibly a continuation of the breed in modern guise. Not until about 1925 was the modern title of lakeland terrier given the breed for hitherto it had been variously known as the Coloured working terrier (as distinct from the redominantly white fox terrier),and by the local names of Fell Terrier and Patterdale Terrier. The breed (and its progenitors) has been in common use with the hunts of the fell district ever since fox hunting became an established sport in these parts. Terriers of the lakelands engage the fox in its lair rather that merely draw from a safe distance as in other areas,hence the dead gameness of the little fell dogs is considerable. Until 1921 the supporters of these terriers had been split into factions in Cumberland, Westmorland and the north Lancashire, but in that year the lakeland Terrier Association was formed with the late Lord Lonsdale as president, and from that time onwards the breed following was united in efford. Indeed so rapidly did the breed attract attention that by 1932 the Lakeland Terrier club had also been founded to assist the fanciers in the south of England. The pioneers of the revived type were Mrs.Graham Spence,Mr.Paisley and Mr.Crellin. Mrs Graham Spence had been breeding Lakeland Terriers for at least forty five years (first as Patterdale Terriers)and from her kennels at Howtown came ' Egton Lady of the lake' the first bitch to win the challenge certificates offered to the breed (Mr.H. L.Tweedie's Evergreen Double' won the first challenge certificate offered the male dogs) Other prominent breeders are Miss Ashdown,Miss C.H.Edwards of the kildale' kennels.........The Lakeland Terrier is exceptionally robust for its size and very hardy indeed. Colours are blue-and tan,blue,black-and -tan,red,mustard,wheaten and grizzle, Height is not to exceed 15 inches,and weight is not to exceed 17 pounds for a dog or 16 pounds for a bitch.

2. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

I have a bitch 15 lbs that will take tremendous punishment to take her first and( hopefully only) shot to grab the throat. I work the terriers pretty regular and have a rotation of three, not all lakelands. And will not get another. I spendtoo much time stripping the bitch and would prefer not to have to do that anymore.

3. I would love to own a Lakeland!

4. These folks have some nice looking Lakelands. I hope this link works.

Patterdale.us

5. You have to click on the deadgame message board to see the thread about the Lakelands. This is the message board used by Robert Booth. I tried to edit this and write this but the edit feature on this forum is little to be desired!

6. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

robert booth that old fence jumper, england to ireland now to france and getting the boot from there now too, makes me wonder why....

7. None of my business but I have friends with his bloodline and their dogs are great. Here are two of them. Onyx and Diesel Booth on top and Nuttal on the bottom.

Attached Files:

8. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

9. 2 pack

2 pack Pup

And you would no wouldn't ya??

10. 2 pack

2 pack Pup

about fence hopping!!

11. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Im no fence hopper, plain and simple, to the point fact!

12. 2 pack

2 pack Pup

Ffs..........

13. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

lol.......

14. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

@blackpoison,goodwork mate,you always make the threads interesting,your well-researched and the site would be a lot less interesting without your input!Hows that Wheeler dog of yours doing,what size did it make?ive been offered one to use as a stud dog but not sure yet,whats its traits etc?