1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

large pits

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GalDemSuga, Dec 19, 2005.

1. americandream

americandream Top Dog

if you think about it all they do is sit a cage all day and they are too fat to move. they just get fatter and fatter. if they had pits with big chests and heads as i posted in the last 1800's and early 1900's i believe they could be breed to weigh aboout 40 lbs more then what they should be without mix breeding. especally if they have been bred for size for 8 generations. and fat as hoggs.

2. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Definately getting some influence in there, the head and being all white is just screaming old style bull terrier to me... before they got all bulky.

3. Miles

Miles Big Dog

OOO I will!!!

*Clears Throat*

Do you always have a problem getting it up?

4. americandream

americandream Top Dog

pit bulls are terrier and bulldog mix..... that imported one i posted probibly was some of the first resaults from mixing the two.

5. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

LMAO. What the hell??? Mixing of what two??? lol.

Those dogs you posted don't look 70-80lbs to me. If they are, remember, they are the EXCEPTION! There is no excuse or back peddling for these huge dogs that are arising everywhere. Yes, there are/were big ones, no they are not as common as big dog people would like to think. Another thing, often these EXCEPTIONS don't produce their size in their offspring. Someone else used the example of Rott's being bred for size for a long time now by irresponsible people but I have yet to see 300lb Rott's running around. I could be wrong maybe in about 15 years we'll have 250lb PITTBULSS. lmaooooooooooooo

6. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Back to the thread. The TRUE APBT is a medium sized dog, although there have been exceptions that have gone 70lbs+. Like everyone else said, the dog you saw could've been a mix, just a big look alike or a *Bluff (lol).

7. americandream

americandream Top Dog

im not saying the over grown pit now a days are a good thing i dont like that idea.... but as you say these exception's dont produce thier size in there offspring...... how would you know? those over grown pit bulls are so inbred size is all they have in common. animals evolve if we like it or not there probibly will be 200lb pit bulls soon :( due to idiot breeders.

8. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

I have seen several Rotties in the 160 area now and they are just getting bigger, give them time. If its possible to get a dog that can hold the weight they will get there. *I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS, I think its a travesty to rape a working breed into a state of sedatoin due to weight limitations and joint and bone issues due to size*
    as far as the APBT goes, like I said you can speculate all you want, but the bottom line is breeding for size could produce these dogs. and 100 pounds dogs are NOT common... at least not in the lines I work with. There are a few lines mostly red nosed lines, Camalot, dagger, dungeon... that can consistantly throw 100+ but they are clearly mixed.

The dog could have been a freak of his litter... like D. one specific dog that just got the right combination of genes from parents, grandparents and so on to increase his overall size. You never know.

9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Only with the cats around, I bet you deal with this too ;)

10. americandream

americandream Top Dog

The dog could have been a freak of his litter... like D. one specific dog that just got the right combination of genes from parents, grandparents and so on to increase his overall size.

what if you breed 2 freaks of the litter and inbreed the heck outta them? nothing but big 100lb freaks.......

11. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

No genetics doesnt work that way... it would simply increase the likelyhood that they would produce more freaks, but if you kept taking the freaks of the various litters and always bred the biggest ones you would slowly increase the average size of your offpsring. And the freaks of those litters would be considerably bigger then the freaks of the litters that you started with... of course this takes generations and a varied gene pool (otherwise you get genetic mutations and faults... *cough, cough, GOTTILINE, cough* what was that?
    But your general idea is about right. you keep breeding on size and you get size.... just like if you breed on color you get color, if you breed on head you get head, if you breed on conformation you get conformation, its trait breeding.

12. americandream

americandream Top Dog

LOL thats funny :)

inbreeding is very common in 100lb hippo's if you breed to closly it brings out the negitive traits = ugly health problems and the list goes on and on. :)

13. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Need I remind anyone that such an increase in size takes hundreds and hundreds of years.....not 10-15! Average human height used to be barely over 5' tall, now we average out around 5'10'' - 5' 11'' for males I would estimate. It was thousands of years ago that we were 5'-5'2'', not 1960. If you want to debate it in terms of weight, by your logic we could take two 500 lb. humans and AI(Artificially inseminate, because they sure as hell aint doing things the natural way anymore) them and they would make a baby capable of 600 lbs. This kid grows up to be AI with another 600 lber. and in 100 years we could have 1200 lb. humans CONSISTENTLY by your logic. Its not possible, evolution takes minimum of hundreds of years for such drastic changes. It is not a matter of weight so much as bone structure also. Weight can be added and lost fairly easily, bone structure doesnt just change over night (or 15 years).

14. americandream

americandream Top Dog

the pics i posted were from the early 1870-1900's they are very wide and short with big heads. thats like 100 years.

15. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

What does it matter that they are wide and short? What are you trying to prove? Who cares? Those dogs were not bred to be short and wide. It just happened. Anyways, rangy dogs with narrow chests are believed by many to be better than dogs that are short and wide. Hence, the reason that these dogs are generally not short and wide unless bred for that trait.
    Also, many believe that todays bulldogs are by-far better performers than those of 100 or so years ago. So, comparing the looks of 100 year old dogs to currrent dogs does not make much sense, in my opinion.

16. americandream

americandream Top Dog

? those were true apbt's right? why are they short n bully? im saying its not fare to be calling those 100lb pits mutts, i believe through breeding nothing but big dog to big dogs for many years and not having exercise....they could be 80+lbs

17. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Now do you honestly believe that these people who obviously do not care about the APBT standard would be honest and dedicated enough to produce huge dogs through inbreeding for a hundred or so years when they could just mix in a mastiff or other breed for size and acquire that look in a small number of generations?
    They obviously don't care about the true APBT and I doubt that a person that doesn't care about standards or what the breed stands for would have any problem with mixing in other breeds to acquire their desired look within a couple of years in comparison with a few decades.
    How else are they going to be raking in all that cash?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2005
  18. americandream

americandream Top Dog

like i said in the other posts.......i HATE overdone dogs i like em 70lbs and under. and in the standard.

19. WWII

WWII Banned

Ummm...I could be wrong, but I believe inbreeding too much starts to supress traits. Such as: the immune system, drive, smarts, and size. So, actually, inbreeding too much would produce smaller dogs.

20. americandream

americandream Top Dog

i could be wrong too........... a breeder told me this info but who knows if its right :)