1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Life, bulldogs and likelihoods

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by TDK, Jun 7, 2014.

1. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I fully believe that if a person looks at what life itself is, he or she will find that it is an ongoing, ever present, every second series of likelihoods. Likelihoods come in great. good, not so good, bad and horrible. Sometimes they are serious either way, good or bad. Sometimes the line between good and bad is a fine one.

We all know that if we drive our car at night, turn off the lights and drive in the oncoming traffic lane, our likelihoods of having a head on collision are highly increased. The longer we do it, the more they are increased. Simple logic. Right?

Beyond this, we know our chances of survival are slim. Again, using our measure of likelihoods.

From the day we are born, we begin to feel and experience likelihoods. Think about it. We know where mama's teat is as our instincts as infants lead us to that likelihood. As we get older, we see things, do things, feel things to enhance our knowledge of the good likelihoods from the bad. We don't know ALL likelihoods as young humans, but we experience something to teach us a new likelihood almost every day of our young lives.

Now, not all likelihoods are bad nor do they put us in danger. Some are nothing more than the realism we learn day by day as we grow and mature. Some are told to us and are backed by facts we have learned, some of which are through experiences, both good and bad.

For me to try a running jump across the Grand Canyon would be the stupidest thing I would have ever done. I know this because I know I CAN'T. Facts learned. I don't need experience to show me that likelihood. It would be one's final miscalculation of likelihoods.

Likelihoods can be things we have striven for. For instance. I am playing right field. A ball sails over the wall by 3 ft. The wall is 8 feet high. I run to the wall, and even get a glove on the ball but it drops into the stands. I create another likelihood by my own will and experience. I know that if it happens again, I will try to reach the wall sooner, use my off hand to vault me higher and increase my reach, hence maybe increasing my likelihood of snagging a home run away from the hitter.

So, what do we have which gives us our likelihoods. So far, instincts at first. Then an ongoing growth as to experiences, logic, truth, facts and common sense. Add will. It can play in. While we're at it, add repetition, as practice usually makes one more proficient in ones likelihoods becoming more to the positive side of things.

Playing proper or obvious odds also plays heavily into likelihoods. In fact, some deem that alone as being likelihoods, yet to me, likelihoods are much more complex. While playing odds is often merely a matter of the present, the total gamut of likelihoods can stem from way back in your life................birth itself.

It is upon this ground that I want to relate likelihoods to all of our favorite subject. Bulldogs.

End, Part I

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Part II.......Life, bulldogs and likelihoods

Chances are, we've all bred our first litter of bulldogs as adults. At least, very young adults at the youngest. We'll use that assumption as our ground.

Remember that striking it rich on our first breeding is usually by good direction by someone tutoring us, or just by our own study that happened to add up for us, and worked. Perhaps you decided not to even breed dogs until you had more experience, sights seen and hands on. That's often a decent head start to successful likelihoods either way.

As we go along, unsuccessful breedings having been made or not, we see more, and may deem different dogs more likely to produce than others. This is your experience, logic, common sense and sometimes even facts which you've seen and know. A dog which has already produced like crazy, for instance. All of the aforementioned are at work in this type scenario.

So, as the saying goes: "To each ones own". You may or may not have the same take or twist as someone else as to what is showing you likelihoods. This is your own prerogative, and as long as you are wise in your judgements, it's yours to dig that back foot in and take a home run cut with it if you feel the confidence and feel good about the likelihoods.

Likelihoods aren't coming to knock on your door. They take a watchful and retentive eye. They take all of the elements we mentioned in part I in order to maintain a flow of success. Should you not remember them, go back and look again. Even given all the elements, there will be failures, as I will always remember what my daddy told me............."The only synch goes around a horse's belly". Well thought out and sights seen under the experienced, watchful eye will be your best source of the likelihoods which can and often will keep your efforts to the positive side of things. So..........let's add recognition.

I have always maintained we should let the dogs tell us which ones to breed. Both by performance and by ongoing consistencies of desired things as we move forward, generation to generation. Knowing how to look for, recognize, experience and utilize good consistencies is a huge part of determining your own likelihoods of success, and further....long lived success.

One more requirement, and it is a key one. You must be honest. Honest with YOURSELF as to what you see, and what it means. What it is giving you and what it may not be giving you as to your hopes you maintain with each breeding. Each ongoing generation you breed should be based on the likelihoods you have learned via ALL of the necessary tools since even birth. You will be applying them to your breeding these dogs much the same as you have applied them to all you have ever done, do now, or will ever do with the goal being positive things.......i.e. success.

As I said, Mr. Success isn't coming to your door with a suitcase full of likelihoods. So, add Hard work, dedication, an eye for detail and efficiency, and add the demand for quality within a common sense approach, a fair approach to your dogs, and lots of realism. To KNOW your likelihoods, one need only to make sure you have earned and learned, and can apply all the requirements we've mentioned, because to breed dogs without them and by any other means but likelihoods, you are panning for fools gold.

TDK

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  3. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Great words of advice. Good way to start off.

4. determination

determination Big Dog

Thanks for the words tdk. It's also nice to read something that's above a 3rd grade lexile level, about dogs .of course this applys to much more than dogs.

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Great read TDK. Congrats on your first Thread! Keep them coming amigo.

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Nice read TDK ! Enjoyed it !

7. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Good read, makes a lot of sense.

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

8. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Well written.

9. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Very good post TDK. Makes perfect sense, I just wish I could explain things the way you do, flawless.

10. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Yeah TDK got a way with words

11. david63

david63 CH Dog

Yes nice post TDK.

12. david63

david63 CH Dog

treezpitz you do a good job of explaining things too.

13. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Thank you very much david63, that's very kind of you! I believe the way TDK uses his words would make almost anybody feel they need to go back to school lol.

14. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

Good read. I have never bred a single litter or made the attempt and your posts outline all of the reasons and even provide a little motivation to increase my "likelihood" of acquiring good dogs.

15. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

:sign0087:TDK, ,:0047::Thank you for helping people like me.....

16. deadrabbitsoc.

deadrabbitsoc. Big Dog

Good read tdk!!!!!

17. Raindog

Raindog Pup

TDK pontificating, lol.

Basically a dissertation of what he says in shorter words to people here all the time:

Put in the homework, get some experience, use logic, proceed.

If the results fail, adjust your thinking, get more experience, proceed.

18. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

i often get into deep thought like this after smokin some really good shit!!

19. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

What an amazing post and thank you TDK for posting it. I miss the good and great posts like these and because they are so few and far between I barely come to boards but I love reading the good stuff when folks let the good info and thoughts out.

20. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

definitely have a way with words my friend. Thank you for sharing.