1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lightner's (Colby's ) Topsy

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Kingpitbull, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hey have ya heard of Lightner's (Colby's ) Topsy she was the first and only Red Nose Colby dog she was bred by Mr. J.P Colby she was a inbred Colby's Tige daughter / grand daughter Mr. J.P Colby gave her to Mr. Lightner she is the back bone of OFRN she was the foundation she can be found in OFRN dogs peds i would like to know if some one has a picture of her and more info she was born in 1906.

2. JoeBingo

JoeBingo Banned

I haven't been able to find a picture of her. Your spelling of the dogs name is incorrect. Your are talking about "Topsey", not to be confused with a dog from the 1930's called Colby's Topsy.

Lou Colby mentions "your" dog Topsey (b. 1906) on page 28 of his book and Colby's Topsy (1930's) is pictured on page 86.

3. Thanks i knew something was wrong about the name lol

4. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Thanks for some info joe:)

5. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

The backbone of the OFRN dogs was not from a Colby dog. Lightner had these dogs from his family from before the civil war.
    The backbone of the strain were the fighting dogs of Ireland, the Old Family Reds. (This has been covered elsewhere by others.)
    In fact, I received an email from Lou a couple years ago(I asked him about the red dogs), and he said his father never used the term OFRN, and didn't breed them..(in fact, they culled them.)
    Lightner wasn't even the sole source of the OFRN dogs. The dogs Jim Corcoron had shipped by his family were the original Irish dogs.
    Where Lightner's family got their dogs may never be known...but for one dog to be called a backbone, particularly not an Old Family Red, is inaccurate.
    However, many Colby dogs (black nose) were crossed with OFR/OFRN dogs, and produced winners.

6. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

agreed: she wasn't the back bone. also, she was not the only red nosed. Lou said there was only a handful of Colby, red-nosed (4 or 5) through the earlier years, but none produced today.