1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mange Prevention

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by KURUPT, Jun 13, 2004.

1. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

Do the Laundry: While mites spend almost their entire lives on the host animal, they will occasionally jump off onto the pet’s bedding and from there to you, or back onto your pet just when you thought they were all dead. Keep your pet’s bedding clean.

Screen Your Pet’s Friends: Mites can be picked up from contact with other animals or from contaminated areas, Don’t let your pet near another animal that appears baldish and is scratching a lot.

Feed Him Well: Mange often affects pets that are poorly fed and otherwise poorly cared for. Giving your pet quality food (not just dry kibble) can keep your pet healthy, which helps provide protection against infestations by critters.

Fight it With Fat: Fatty acid supplements are fairly popular for keeping your pet healthy from the inside out and promotes a glossy coat. Ask your vet which one is right for your pet. Also make sure your pat gets some vegetable oil in its diet.

Keep Your Pet Clean: Regular grooming helps remove scaly skin and scabs caused by mange, promoting a healthy coat. Regular bathing, brushing and combing helps keep your pet free from mange mites, particularly if it has been keeping company with a mangy crowd.

Forgo the Oil Treatments: Pouring motor oil on your pet is an old fashioned home remedy that not only doesn’t work but it is harmful to your pet, as well as harmful to the environment. If you use motor oil, the dog will lick it off and ingest the oil making it sicker than the mange, and your pet will still have mange. Leave the motor oil in the garage.

Take Your Pet to the Vet: Take your pet to the vet for regular check ups. If your pet suddenly starts going bald or scratches incessantly, don’t take chances, take it to the Vet’s office. It could be mange, or something more serious and more difficult to treat.

Mange Mite Pictured Below...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2004
  2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

this one might clear up the motor oil myth. never knew anybody that the motor oil worked for

3. gator

gator Big Dog

Yeah isn`t that funny? I have heard of motor oil,diesel fuel,etc. and I guess there are people out there that believe that stuff and use it but you wou would think that they would be thinking better than that...

4. Gamest

Gamest Pup

Very Good Info I Am Knee Deep Init With My Cocker Spaniel.