1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Maximum amount of flirt pole work for a young pup.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GrChHaunch, Oct 22, 2022.

1. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

I never used a flirt pole until my new dog (my 5th) and have been keeping sessions short (under 5 minutes).

She is crazy for the flirt pole, and I am having trouble getting her enough exercise, so my question is, how long can I work her on the flirt pole without overworking her? She is 4 months and one week old, very young, but super active.

Will 10-12 minute sessions be too long? Can I go until she is tired and starts losing interest, or do I want to avoid that?

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Two concepts. If you are truly conditioning her then the 'time X effort' is a measuring stick. If you are burning energy, then do the X number of minutes multiple times.

And in most cases the shorter stints with breaks in between will build insane drive. She will want it all the more. The more she wants it, the harder she works and the harder she works the less time it takes to get from Point A to Point B. (energy stored to energy spent)

Maybe that made sense.

S

GrChHaunch and oldguy like this.
  3. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

So again we are at multiple sessions. Her drive is pretty insane right now. Going 10-12 minutes (first long session ever) I saw her actually slow down a bit for the first time. Even so, once I came back in the house she did her usual zooming around and grabbing anything (shoe etc.) off he floor but she did finally stop and lay down about 10 minutes later, which is unusual for her.

4. slim12

Sounds normal. It is a puppy.

Insane drive coupled with insane energy is the recipe for a great dog and an even bigger headache.

The next decision is to revel in what you have or get a Basset Hound. LOL

S

GrChHaunch likes this.
  5. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Those Basset Hounds are starting to look pretty good =))

6. slim12

Funny.

30 years ago my buddy who had just gotten out of bulldogs went hog hunting (before it as popular as it is now) in the hills of Alabama and once or twice in Florida. He came home with a pup one time. He called it an ol' Southern White. Looked just like the pup my Pops brought home from Alabama when he got out of the Army in the early 70's. No papers and no bloodline, just an old farm dog/bull dog.

My buddy has had them for 30 years now. And every time I mention a bulldog headache of any sorts he says, "Wish you had got one of these old shit eating white dogs like I got?".

In that moment, I refuse to answer honestly. LOL

S

Revelator likes this.